main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London Gatherings for The Force Awakens?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by dasweallycool, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Jules the Hutt

Jules the Hutt Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2015
    Hi darth Richie - I'm really interested in securing 10+ tickets for the midnight showing of the force awakens at odeon leister square on 17th December. Do you still work there ? If so I hope you can write me back so I can arrange or have a chat to you I was wondering if I could speak to the manager and donate some money to charity to get tickets in addition to them if you think this would help?

Thanks for any info -

Jules

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't work for the Leicester square cinema, but I guess the GM there I'd contactable by our GM.
    I don't as yet know what the rules for tickets will be, but they will be in high demand

3. Jules the Hutt

Jules the Hutt Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2015
    thanks for the info - I'll try and get hold of the manager and see what he says. Appreciate your reply. Thank you

4. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Has anyone actually heard anything about when tickets might go on sale? I know we're still 5 months away but I'm impatient [face_laugh]

5. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    So we're getting it on 17 December....

Richie - any intel on when tickets will open up for it?

6. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    Yes! Glad to see an Empire reunion being talked about! I was considering going to the BFI IMAX but if there is a group of people going from back in ol' 2005 (hi Chris and Raj!) then I'm game.

7. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Hi Stuey!

Haha, I saw that too Raj! Worried me a bit until I realised I could amend my hotel booking (wasn't sure I could as it was a saver rate) so now I'm over the moon! Just need to sort my holidays at work tomorrow :)

8. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Planning on seeing it twice at the IMAX in the Metrocentre up Norf' on the 17th Dec, (midnight also if possible) with friends then family. Then heading with mates down to London on the 18th Dec to see it at the BFI IMAX. However if there is a gathering, that can change lol

I've taken both days as holiday at work, so I'm sorted for whatever goes down.

9. fizzbin

fizzbin Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I'm surprised the Odeon Marble Arch hasn't been converted to IMAX, it has the biggest standard screen in the country.

Somewhere is Leicester Square is my preference for first time viewings though.

10. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah I think the general consensus has settle on Empire Leicester Square IMAX for the midnight opening as it's one of the biggest screens in the country, is more central for hotels/transport than BFI and has the added bonus of being a reunion for those of us who did the Saga marathon back in 2005!

Getting really excited now! I just wish I knew when tickets were going on sale for this!

11. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
  12. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    And there's now reports that the US will be getting 7pm screenings on Dec 17th rather than having to wait until the stroke of midnight. Does that mean we can expect 7pm on Dec 16th here in the UK?

Part of me hopes so (certainly nicer to walk back to the hotel around 10pm rather than 3am) but part of me thinks part of the appeal of the midnight screenings is that they are at midnight, it's a special event rather than "just" the first screening. What do you guys think?

13. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Can't believe I'm saying this over 2 months in advance but I'm all booked! Hotel room was booked a while ago and I was finally able to sort my advanced saver train tickets today (glad I did as the none saver rates look pretty steep!)

All I need now is the film tickets lol!

theycallmemrglass likes this.
  14. theycallmemrglass

theycallmemrglass Jedi Knight

Jan 5, 2006
    Good evening everyone! This is my first post on this board, yet I have been a long time follower of the main Force.net news since its early days before the Phantom Menace came out. During those days building up to the Phantom Menace, my destination was New York to join a queue organisation called CountingDown. Those of you old enough to remember, will recall that UK was getting the Phantom Menace 3 months after the US! I was not going to wait that long :) For Clones I was at the Odeon Leicester Square midnight screening and for Revenge, I queued up overnight at the Empire Cinema to purchase tickets for the Star Wars Celebration Day marathon culminating with the premiere screening of Revenge in which George Lucas popped over at the end of the movie to ask how we felt to which the audience exclaimed "More!", unforgettable day.

From that wonderful day onwards, I really thought my childhood had finally come to a fitting end and that I finally grew up (in my 30s, lol), no more of this queueing up for days or overnight madness in my older age...

...but man was I wrong! After doing a several hour queue up at the Oxford Street Disney Store, to grab myself my very own BB-8, I am now eager to join you guys on another queueing journey for The Force Awakens. You might have gathered queuing is a big part of my star wars life but its always fun when with star wars fans :)

Now for me, the only place for such a premier is the wonderful and for me nostalgic venue of Empire Leicester Square. Although heartbreakingly it has knocked down its beautiful theatre setting screen 1, its replacements is still quite an awesome IMAX. The Empire in the past also had a flair for presentation with a laser show preceding its features (sometimes programmed to reflect the movie, memories of a laser drawn delorean and Alan Silvestri music playing a countdown to the beginning of Back to the Future Part II, lingers forever in my memory). But for over a decade, they didnt use the lasers anymore...until now! All IMAX screenings are now accompanied by a laser show. So guys, this has to be the venue for our Force Awakens premiere!

Are there any of you here that queued up at the Empire Cinema one Sunday night in 2004 to buy tickets to the Star Wars marathon celebration at 9am Monday morning and of course having to make an excuse for why you were late to work? ;) I remember a few great characters on that queue fondly, including a fella doing the best Yoda impressions albeit rather endlessly, lol.

Now although tickets were released online, the Empire Cinema management ensure that the fans who queued up outside the box office were guaranteed tickets and even ensured we all had best range of seats.

It has been a long time ago though, times have changed and I dont know if Empire would guarantee fans queuing up this time around but I am willing to still take the risk if others are. There is always our phones to fall back on to book those midnight release tickets as soon as they are released.

Anyway, whatever it be, glad to be amongst you fans once again.

15. fizzbin

Mar 21, 2005
    Reports are that the final trailer will be released next Monday (during half time of an American Football game), and tickets will go on sale too (in the US at least - not sure about elsewhere).

16. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    theycallmemrglass - I did two of those same events! Didn't make it to NYC for TPM but I was at the Odeon midnight screening of AOTC and the Celebration Day marathon for ROTS. Good times!

Fizzbin - I read that as well! Some rumours have said 1pm PST or later today for the announcement so that's (I think!) 9pm or later our time. Definitely keeping an eye on the official site tonight! Keeping my fingers crossed UK tickets go on sale at the same time but given the football game will be in the early hours of Tuesday morning I'm not so sure! To quote Palpatine I'll be watching out for an announcement "with great interest"!

17. theycallmemrglass

Jan 5, 2006
    I also reading all those rumours too!

This appears to be the main source:

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-force-awakens-trailer-tickets-pre-sales/

And these guys seem confident in themselves, lol.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-and-logo-coming-this-monday/

But yeah, emphasis seems to be on American cinemas. From here on, I am keeping a close watch on the Empire (and also Odeon, in case Empire havent been granted the opening for TFA) for announcements and hopefully a marathon.

Guys, dont forget that the clock goes back an hour this weekend, so factor that in with the PST conversion :)

ChrisLyne, did you queue up at the Empire for the Celebration Day tickets or did you buy online? If you queued, up for doing that again?! Last time the queue started building on Sunday afternoon for the 9am ticket release, although a couple of fans started the queue one whole day before!

18. fizzbin

Mar 21, 2005
    Clocks go back the following weekend - on the 25th.

19. theycallmemrglass

Jan 5, 2006
    Oh you're right, Fizzbin...looked at thr wrong week on my calendar. Sorry and thanks for the correction

20. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I wish I'd been able to queue and guarantee my seats! I live too far away from London to queue in person (and no holidays left from work this year even if I could!). I even missed out on the online and phone ticket sales (not for lack of trying, just overwhelming demand). It was only through the kindness of people here on this board (thanks again Fizzbin!) that I was able to get tickets for my wife and I.

This year is going to be interesting as it seems we're going to get very official little notice before they go on sale (if the rumours are true). Going to be watching Empire and Odeon this weekend very closely. Must admit I hadn't thought about the Empire not showing it! It's the only IMAX in Leicester Square so I'm pretty confident they will. They shared ROTS with Odeon for Celebration Day with Odeon having the Royal Premiere and Empire doing the Saga so hopefully they'll do something similar this time (maybe premiere and regular screenings at at Odeon with IMAX screenings at the Empire?)

21. theycallmemrglass

Jan 5, 2006
    Yeah Odeon Leicester Square gets the main premieres. Once upon a time, it was Empire and deservedly so as its by far the superior and classier cinema to Odeon.

Well lets see what is officially announced over the weekend and good luck with the button pressing come the booking moment :)

We also got a trailer to look forward to but I am torn about whether to watch it or not, as I always avoid trailers for every other movie to enjoy the movies more. I dont even read reviews until after I see a film. But Star Wars has always been an exception! And probably still will be, as I am just too weak to resist :)

22. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Thanks :) Hope you get a good crowd for queuing at the cinema.

I'll be avoiding reviews (if they even let them release before the film, given the secrecy I'm not sure they will) but I'll definitely be watching the trailer on Monday!

23. theycallmemrglass

Jan 5, 2006
  24. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I don't think we'll see Luke until the film now.

First choice tomorrow morning is Empire Leicester Square IMAX, second choice BFI IMAX (just in case Empire doesn't do an IMAX screening or sells out)

25. theycallmemrglass

Jan 5, 2006
    Good luck!

Good idea with bfi imax being second choice. I wish we knew what was the first time show on 17th, i mean could it be 12:01 midnight (ie just after 26th ends?), i think rumours are it being 7pm but there is very much less clarity on times.