main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Chosen One

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by vacantelite, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Dominating meaning the predominant presence. Also, I was just throwing it out there in the spirit of debate.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But it's not predominant. It's just half of the whole.

wobbits likes this.
  3. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015

Disagree. If anything it's Luke or another Skywalker kid who we'll meet at some point in the ST. It could even be more general-ambiguous and simply be the Skywalker bloodline in general.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's Anakin. Lucas already confirmed it a long time ago.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the prophecy was fulfilled by anakin in rotj. gl said it. everybody knows it. the entire purpose of the prophecy being written by gl was the pay off that happened beforehand in 1983 in rotj.

Alienware and rumsmuggler like this.
  6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly. I'll never understand why this is a matter of debate.

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    People keep looking for deeper meaning, and aren't aware of prior discussions...I can't tell you how many times this question has popped up over the years.

8. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015
    I think the point of arguing in favor of the prophecy still being a viable story arc is the fact that GL isn't calling the shots anymore and Disney can do whatever they want to going forward. With that being said, it's certainly a possibility that the prophecy hasn't been fulfilled yet, or there's more to it than we know. It's absolutely ridiculous imo to say Anakin fulfilled the prophecy simply by killing Palpatine just to have the same situation pop up again a few years later. All things considered, it's perfectly reasonable to discuss the prophecy question.

9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    It's absolutely ridiculous to think that killing Palpatine got rid of ALL evil in the galaxy. The Prophecy spoke of a particular moment in time, nothing more.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    he destroyed the sith. that's all the prophecy said he would do and he did it.

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Technically, it just said he would restore balance....but that doesn't mean the Force can't become unbalanced at a future date.

12. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

That's what Obi-Wan thought, but i don't see how destroying the Sith balances the Force. I just don't buy it. This prophecy thing needs to be addressed more. If Disney is smart they'll expound on this prophecy thing a little more to at least give us some clarification. Right now it just seems too ambiguous, and the idea that destroying the Sith somehow balances the Force is just plain stupid. It could be so much bigger.

Maybe so, but just a few short years later?! That's weak. You would think that if he restored balance it would last for at least a few centuries or even a millennium or so. Again, not buying it. The Prophecy hasn't been fulfilled yet. If it has, and Anakin tossing Sidious' wrinkled old arss down the DS2 reactor core shaft counts as fulfilling this thing then what a waste of a great plot idea. They have an opportunity here with the ST to take this great mythological idea and make it really cool. The story going forward should explain it away as Anakin forfeited his "Chosen One" status when he turned turned down the Father and turned to the darkside, and thus was no longer able to fulfill any prophecy. This Chosen One title should fall to his progeny, the continuing Skywalker bloodline. Those are my thoughts on the issue anyway.

13. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Had Vader and Luke failed, there would have been no one to stop Palpatine and Vader. No one else could get close to them like Vader and Luke. Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer.

Well, it comes down to....can Anakin ever bring himself to accomplish his goal, or will he continue to hold himself back? He does end up ultimately saving the galaxy despite all his mistakes, and pays a dear price for it....instead of acting for the want of power, he finally understands that he must act for the love of his children. That's pretty powerful stuff.

14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    "That's what Obi-Wan thought, but i don't see how destroying the Sith balances the Force. I just don't buy it."

tell that to george lucas.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Sith bring the Force out of balance. By destroying the Sith, balance is restored.

wobbits likes this.
  16. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

If that's the story they go with....that's super lame.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why?

18. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

It just seems cheap to me. See my posts #37 and #33 in this thread for more explanation.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I saw no explanation, that's why I'm asking. Anakin killed his Vader persona and Sidious, so the imbalance brought by the Sith actions is over. There's nothing that needs to be "addressed more". It doesn't need to be bigger than what it already is.

wobbits likes this.
  20. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

I don't see how the Sith unbalance the Force any more so than any other darksider. The explanation seems lame to me. Here we are a mere 30 years after RotJ and nothing was really accomplished, nothing has really changed. How is it that the Force is balanced now when we have even worse darksiders than the Sith lol. Snoke and Kylo Ren are just as bad or probably even worse than Palpatine, Vader, and the Sith. Where's the balance in this lol? It's a cheap explanation that makes no sense at all imo. I just think they could take the idea further and make it better.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What other darksider?

That's not a problem of the existing movies.

wobbits and MeBeJedi like this.
  22. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015
    Aren't the KoR and Snoke both darksiders?

"That's not a problem of the existing movies" you say. I don't really get what you're saying here?

I did lol.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Probably. What exactly did they do to unbalance the Force?

I'm saying you can't judge something based on what others do after the fact. George created the prophecy and it's consistent with the works he created.

wobbits likes this.
  24. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

What exactly did the Sith do to unbalance the Force? Probably the same stuff as Ren and Snoke i'd imagine. The darkside itself is the imbalance imo.

I'm not really saying it's a problem necessarily per se, just that it's a stupid explanation for the prophecy considering the ST. Sure, i guess within the context of the first 6 films it seems a little better and makes more sense, if they would've stopped at 6, but we have a ST now with pretty much all the same problems as before, and only a few years later. Considering that fact, the prophecy doesn't seem like it was fulfilled, and it certainly doesn't make sense in that context to say Anakin destroying the Sith was it's fulfillment. Nothing was really accomplished at the end of RotJ. This is why they need to expound on it in the ST.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it's not. The dark side is part of the Force. Excess of it is what causes imbalance.

The prophecy wasn't made considering the ST.

wobbits likes this.