main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Chosen One

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by vacantelite, Sep 20, 2015.

1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    because gl said so. the sith are worse than just darksiders. if you don't like it tough.

2. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    You need the dark and light to get balance. So getting rid of the darkside itself (impossible) would leave only the light, which is unbalanced.

3. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    there's light side and the dark side. then there's the sith. the sith corrupt the force and poison it. they ended up controlling the galaxy. just the existence of the sith unbalances the force.

Kato Sai likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, no. It is the actions that Palpatine does that causes the imbalance. That's why Lucas said that the balance starts to slip during the films and not before then.

Kato Sai likes this.
  5. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    That's like saying evil is a good thing and acceptable. Sorry, i disagree, that's sick and sad.

Kato Sai likes this.
  6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ^^^ This

You might recall a planet being destroyed? You might recall Kenobi feeling that destruction as a great disturbance in the Force?

Not necessarily "acceptable", but there will always be evil in people. The point is to not fall to the Dark Side, which is a metaphor for the evil intent of people. We all have an angel and devil on our shoulders.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The balance is between the light and dark sides, so the dark side is not itself the imbalance. All light and no dark, all of one and none of the other, is not balance. It's the most extreme case of imbalance.

With sapience the existence of evil is inevitable.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  8. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015
    evil is not equal to Good. Having equal amounts of Good and evil in the world is not balance. When evil is more prevalent or outweighs good, that constitutes extreme imbalance. The more good and less evil there is the more balance there is. Goodness/light is balance. The very existence of evil itself is imbalance. evil does not hold any moral ground, it is a cancer. evil doesn't balance anything, it does nothing but cause imbalance. When goodness and light flourish, and darkness and evil do not exist, that is called balance, that is harmony. The idea that evil and good are moral equals and have to balance each other is a very misguided and dangerous way of thinking. Evil has no moral ground what-so-ever. Evil itself is an abomination. When Goodness and light keep evil down, this constitutes balance. When evil and darkness take root, that is the beginning of imbalance. Good and evil do not equate.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It would be, assuming the balance being referred to is a balance between good and evil. ( I'm not sure there is much to be gained by quibbling over whether or not the breakdown should be 50-50, but the definition of balance can only be tortured so much before it breaks completely. )

"The overriding philosophy in Episode I - and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter - is the balance between good and evil." - George Lucas

Wrong on so many levels. The balance of the Force is between the dark and light sides; both of these sides are present in the balanced Force. "Light is balance" is a nonsensical statement on its face, whether in the context of the Force or even in a context totally divorced from SW. All of one thing and none of the other is hardly balance. It is - what was that phrase again? - extreme imbalance. The Force is restored to balance due to the destruction of the Sith in ROTJ, yet evil itself still exists, just as it did before the Force went out of balance.

"Too much light or dark would be the undoing of life as you understand it." - Father, TCW "Overlords"

By definition it would balance the opposite of itself.

That is called "impossible", not to mention the exact opposite of balance.

Dangerous to who, exactly? Dangerous to whose agenda?

10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    You guys shouldn't be thinking about it as "Good and Evil". The Force is natural, and everything is at equilibrium. Any Force use pulls nature out of equilibirum, which is why the Jedi use it as little as possible. The Sith don't care about the consequences of their actions against nature. Blowing up planets is decidely unnatural.

It was decided that learning the ways of the Force had to be a constant struggle for Luke and the he would always have to prove himself. In regard to the Dark Side of the Force, the story meeting transcripts suggest that although can't see it, it should be the real villain of the story. In his training Luke discovers the roots of the evil Force. The danger, the jeopardy is that Luke will become Vader, will be taken over. He has to fight the bad side and learn to work with the good side. Lucas felt that at one point during the training, Ben should explain to Luke that he should use his powers with moderation. If he uses too much of the Force, it will start to use him. For example, to lift objects Luke has to use the bad side of the Force, so if he overuses this power, the dark side will start taking him over as it did with Vader. When Luke fights, he has to use the dark side, but he is also using the good side for protection. In this episode Luke should embody the classic tale of the ugly duckling who becomes a hero, and by the end of the film Luke should have become Ben. - Annotated Screenplays

11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    in sw they do.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not sure how you've jumped to that conclusion. You can't destroy the dark side, just like you can't destroy fear, greed, etc... They simply exist and you have to accept it as part of the whole. However, one can act on it, and such actions (taken to extremes, like the Sith do) cause imbalance.

wobbits and Watcherwithin like this.
  13. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

...and this is why GL and the other SW writers should stick to creating fantasy stories and not attempt to teach spirituality lol.

14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    they're not. ever seen this? and what it represents?

[​IMG]

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    So something someone else drew proves something?

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    do you know what it is and what it means?

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I know what it is.....but that doesn't mean it automatically applies to Star Wars.

Unless, of course, Lucas drew it.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  18. DarthRageous

DarthRageous Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2022
    In the context of the Force users, I always felt this was right. So, when the PT came out, introducing the idea of the Chosen One who would bring balance, my immediate reaction was ‘Ah, but he didn’t!’

I always felt in killing the Palpatine and returning to the light side of the force, Anakin fulfilled the first part of the prophesy (destroy the sith) but hadn’t fulfilled the second part (leave the force in balance), simply because Luke remains, and we could all assume that he would reinstate the Jedi Order (whether you’d read / bought into the EU or not). So the Force is left unbalanced towards the light side upon the death of Anakin.

The ST then compounded this by bringing back Palpatine (Sith evidently not destroyed), which in itself isn’t an issue provided the eventual outcome is that it is once again Anakin who is responsible, in his ghostly form, for bringing down Palpatine once again. I would add to that, that in order for there to be balance, all of the Force users, and in particular the Skywalker family, would then either have had to be killed or have perished. So effective by the end of the ST, we’d see the Sith finally destroyed, Anakin fulfil his destiny as the Chosen One, and the Force being left in balance (no remaining Jedi).

At that point, the Galaxy is left in peace, the Skywalkers rest in peace, and most importantly, the War is finally brought to and end. Balance.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not correct. The light side and dark side are natural parts of the Force. You can't destroy them. And the Force is not Jedi and Sith. It's an energy field created by life.

To act/give into the light side is acting towards balance, while acting/giving into the dark side is acting towards imbalance.

The dark side is possessiveness, greed, fear, etc, and (unlike the light side) it naturally craves to take over. That's why to keep the balance you can't let it grow, and that can only be done by not giving into it. The Sith use the dark side to great depth and length, and because of that they caused imbalance in a galactic scale (in the context of the saga), and that's why their destruction is key to restore balance. Anakin destroyed the Sith and in doing so he brought back balance.

20. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Ludicrous.... what does the 陰陽, or "Yin-Yang" symbol - better "concept" - have to to with SW? It originated from 道教, or if you like "Daoism".
    The full version includes the 8 trigrams, seen in the Korean flag as well.
    [​IMG]

Did Lucas really understand what they represent?
    As a SW fan, I was NEVER a fan of the chosen one/balance concept. Yes, I did study Sinology and Chinese philosophy and language. :p
    But SW is strictly entertainment, and I never after over 4 decades tried to interpret any deeper meaning into it. I enjoy it for was it is .... quite simple actually. The less I analyze, the more I enjoy. Anything wrong or blasphemous with that? [face_thinking]

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Star Wars always had deeper meaning, wether you choose to look at it or not.

wobbits likes this.
  22. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Yeah, so does Halloween. I'm sure you could read some really deep Buddhist stuff into it if you try hard enough.[face_laugh]
    Sure, SW does have some kind of philosophy, but that tends to be greatly exaggerated IMO. You can interpret all kinds of things into SW, but Lucas never meant it to teach profound Daoist philosophy and enlighten the audience about the deeper meaning of East Asian outlook on life and thought when he made it - no offense! :p

devilinthedetails likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't know what you're even arguing, but it does look like a strawman.

wobbits likes this.
  24. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    I thought it was clear. That Lucas may have been influenced by many sources, including ancient Eastern philosophies, but they are not to be taken that seriously or meant to be deeply ingrained in the saga's philosophy. So Vader's helmet may have been somewhat based on the Samurai style, which doesn't make the character in any way Samurai-like. Concerning SW, it's looks over content or symbolism to me.

devilinthedetails and Sarge like this.
  25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars."

--George Lucas, Time Magazine Article 2002.

Lucas based the Force on the two sides found in the Yin and Yang. He has said since 1999 that it is about the balance between good and evil.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    Subtext Mining likes this.