main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Parents

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Berith, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berith

Berith Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2015
    So everyone seems to assume that Rey is either the child of Han and Lea or Luke. I guess it's because of the books that followed episode 6 and mostly focused them, but this is a new story that won't be following the books. So I want to propose a new speculation.

Rey is Obi-wan Kenobi's grandaughter.

Anyone who has watched Clone Wars will know Obi-wan had a relationship with Duchess Satine Kryze leader of the Mandalorians. In fact when Obi-Wan was still a padawan he and Qui-Gon protected her for over a year. Obi-Wan and Satine grew so close that Obi-wan stated he would have renounced his vows to the jedi order had she asked.

Now Qui-Gon was certainly no stickler for the rules, but fathering a child is in fact not against the Jedi code. The attachment that usually comes with such things is the issue. So Obi-wan could easily have fathered a child with Satine and remained a Jedi so long as he was detached enough from the situation.

This child being of both mandalorian and Jedi descent would have to be kept a secret. It would have been an affront to the mandalorians seeking to return to the old ways and a target of assassination as a result.

Bonus speculation: What if Rey has been trained as a Jedi Knight by Ghost Obi-wan?

2. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    As fun as it would be for Rey to be a Kenobi, I feel pretty confident that she won't be. She's either an actual relative of the Skywalker lineage (be it from Luke or from H/L) or a metaphorical Skywalker who gets adopted into the family (be it in backstory or over the course of the trilogy). Having her be related to Obi-Wan could potentially distract from that motif of Rey's character, so I don't see it happening.

Also, I don't think she'd be able to fully train under a Ghost. Even if it were Obi-Wan or Yoda. Chances are that she used to be Luke's pupil at his old academy, prior to the massacre.

starocean90 likes this.
  3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Hey, I've only been here a year, so welcome to the forums from someone who was new not so long ago. You weren't to know, but new threads are kept to a minimum here to keep discussions as organised as possible - check back the first couple of pages and there'll be very long threads about characters, family relations, and speculation about story; I'd suggest the Rey thread and the New rumour speculation thread for your musings here - as you can appreciate, with the influx of new members excited about the trailer, the forum would soon become very hard to navigate if loads of new threads were started.
    I'd suggest having a bit of a read too - new opinions are always welcome, but there are lots of "jumping in points" for discussion where you can join in.
    Cheers :)

4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Before this thread gets locked because we already have two where we discuss this topic (Daisy Ridley in Episode VII and Who are Rey's parents), I will say that I don't think she's going to be a Kenobi. Obi-Wan was a true believer in the old Jedi code, he wouldn't have a relationship with a child. For me, it's lazy writing to say "Rey is the granddaughter of Obi-Wan and an unknown who had a relationship during the time of his exile". That would be just a Kenobi shoehorned into the ST, and I don't think the ST needs a Kenobi. He's now dead for almost 35 years.

5. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    N

B

L O C K

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  8. Berith

Berith Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2015
    In an interview about her lineage, Ridley stated:

I've said that I'm solitary, that's probably a big clue as to what it is.

Now most people assumed this meant she was Luke's kid. However Obi-wan was the renowned hermit, not Luke. Which started me thinking that she was Obi-Wan's grandaughter not Luke's Daughter.

Rey being an Obi-wan would be no more surprising than Luke being Darth Vader's son....

jjgriffin likes this.
  9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Luke is the hermit in TFA.

10. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Not another thread about Rey's parentage:rolleyes:

Darth_Voider likes this.
  11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    just when I was going to make a new Rey parentage thread.:p

Darth_Voider likes this.
  12. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Not a new theory. Been talked about to death in the other Rey's parents thread. Search people. Search.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Yes. To Obi Wan clinteastwoodbradfield you listen".

Darth_Voider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.