main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Trailer 3 is here!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Chris_Fives, Oct 20, 2015.

1. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    If there is one thing I definitely noticed... it was the lack of aliens. I'm all for getting more human minorities into roles both bit part and lead -- but where are all the aliens?

I always thought the Anti-Alien sentiment in the Empire was completely out of place in a galaxy filled with aliens and was eliminated with the new canon.

my kind of scum likes this.
  2. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    hmm, interesting observation there... Personally, I have usually found the aliens a tad bit distracting in the OT and the PT, but it is interesting that there aren't too many aliens in the trailer. I think I do see possibly an alien in the poster however, next to R2-D2.

3. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I think it's not because they are not in the movie but because Abrams wants to keep all of it hidden and surprise us in the cinema. And I love it!

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well...

[​IMG]
    The guy to the left :chewie:
    ;)

But actually, yeah, now that you mention it - there seems to be mostly humans, which is a tad dissappointing. But we know for a fact that there are aliens in the film. We've seen quite a few in stills and in the comic-con reel.
    I guess this tells us a bit about how much we've really seen from the film - not that much.

I think Lucasfilm have a lot of surprises in store for us :)

Chris_Fives likes this.
  5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'm more interested in the lack of a certain Jedi.8-}

6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I choose to take it to meant that Luke's role is so cool that it literally can't be shown in the trailers for fear of ruining the surprise. I'm pretty sure that's his hand on R2, so he's not dead.

Also, there is a picture of our favorite Jedi, that I won't post or describe in the NSA forum. It usually gets deleted shortly after posting just about anywhere on the net. I am unspoiled, but I saw that one picture, and it was glorious.

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Loved everything about the trailer!!!

There was only one thing that confused me:

Did it seem to anyone else that Rey was speaking with a british accent? If so, that makes me question what we think about her possible origins...:confused:

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Leia was speaking in a quasi-British accent in ANH, so :p

9. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Not that heavy though...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see for sureā€¦

10. queenofhollywood

queenofhollywood Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2015
    I'm with you there. I think that no Luke means something awesome is coming. I don't know what to expect from this. The second teaser got me way more excited than the trailer. But the trailer had Leia and I died. But I'm not at all concerned just because I didn't love this trailer. They are purposefully not telling us things so the trailer had to have very limited material but also be cool. I just don't know how to cope till Dec 17th though...

DARTH_BELO and Aeneas 1138 like this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. I thought it was amazing how they showed so much, and yet still showed us basically nothing!

I'm not worried about not seeing Luke. I think that's a silly complaint. We all know that could be a huge reveal for the movie-why would one want to spoil the first time we see Luke Skywalker in full force in 30 years in a TRAILER!?

Overall, I must say I wasn't entirely "blown away" by this trailer. It was fantastic, but it was clear this one was meant for the general moviegoing public (not to mention the fact it was released during a football game). The one released in Celebration was the one for fans-the one I was brought to tears with...yes, I'll admit that....I'm among fellow fans! ;)

12. queenofhollywood

queenofhollywood Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2015
    I cried watching the teasers and even this trailer! Lol! I think the movie is going to be great!! The only way I'll hate it is if Leia dies. I'm excited to see what stories they have to tell us. I will say, it looks amazing to me. :)

Skellybobs likes this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    TigerCraneFist gotta love the cheesy lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    The only fear I have taken from this film is the body Rey is crying over. I heard rumors but when freeze framed it looks like a beloved character...Otherwise I can't wait.

15. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

That's what I thought at first, other people have pointed out that there are some discrepancies between that body and said character though. Hope I'm wrong.

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    OK, those last couple of posts are a little too far into spoiler territory for me.

The Bops, Dewback, Skellybobs and 3 others like this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Han says, "The Jedi are real". So, if that's surprise news to them that means Luke himself did not go public to the galaxy, and that he either did not create a new Jedi order or he did and they are kept secret.

18. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    hmm, interesting observation as well. The dialogue about "there are stories about what happened" seems to suggest that possibly the war between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire wasn't fully "won" by the Rebels. I get the feeling that much of the galaxy fell into self-governance, varying by planet, and perhaps some chaos. No Empire, but no "New Republic" either.

smoothkaz likes this.
  19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

I took it to mean just the opposite. The "stories" were referring to the clone wars - ya know, that big conflict between the dark side and the Jedi. Sure, Luke probably didn't go public if that's not common knowledge, but I get the idea that the two factions are in more of a civil war than a rebels vs empire fight again.

20. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    It will be interesting to know if "the stories" are meant about the Rebel Alliance or the sith vs. jedi of the Old Republic (clone wars PT era).

Some things that I didn't like a lot of the trailer:

- Looks similar to ANH, I know this was what the production team was aiming for but is it too much?
    - Tie fighters- X-Wing, storm-troopers. Seems that there were big advancements from the PT to the OT and even within the trilogies yet after another 30 years we are still having the same craft and uniforms?. Again goes hand in had with my first issue with the trailer.
    - Han Solo as the important character. This may be done on purpose (I hope) building Han up and then the real story tell something else. I like Han and Leia but really I hope Luke is again central to the story (more so than Han) and the new characters. By the same token I hope Han's story arc is better than Maul. Maul was shown in a similar fashion before TPM and we all know what happened
    - Ok, I looked at the trailer several times and the lens-flare still bothers me. It seems to be in every other shot on the bridge, battles, etc. If it happens in the movie with the same regularity as it did in the trailer itself, it will be Star Trek all over again.
    - Possible on-screen death of character shown in trailer. I think this scene may be the shocker and maybe shouldn't have been in the trailer. I have my theories on who may be. I think they're showing it to prepare us already for it.
    - Looks like the empire is still going strong, (though I know they're not called that), and the characters we'll be following are still the small band of rebels. (again too much like ANH).
    - I didn't like the look of the set-up for the scene with the LS. Why is the guy with the red saber without his mask?, the "good guy" not really looking jedish, I can't put my finger to it but it looks wrong to me. Maybe it's the setting or the weird SFX for the dumb red saber with cross-guard.
    - No C3PO and R2 in the trailer.

21. LightBearer

LightBearer Jedi Knight

Feb 23, 2015
    Has anyone else considered the possibility that after Anakin and Palpatine died the Force went into some kind of dormant state? Perhaps Luke lost his ability to connect to the Force, that's why we haven't seen Luke. He has been in exile trying to feel the Force again.

22. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Considering very few people were really aware of the Jedi vs. Sith thing I doubt that's what they meant. The fact Han is the one making the revelation speaks volumes. That is the look of a guy who's seen things and done a complete 180 from his position in ANH. So I'm pretty sure they're talking about OT stuff.

Addressing some of your other concerns...
    - Tie fighters- X-Wing, storm-troopers. Seems that there were big advancements from the PT to the OT and even within the trilogies yet after another 30 years we are still having the same craft and uniforms?. Again goes hand in had with my first issue with the trailer. - They are clearly different than the OT ships and troopers. The X-Wings have different engines and shorter noses, the TIES are different colors. The troops are as different from the OT troopers as those were from Clones.
    - Han Solo as the important character. This may be done on purpose (I hope) building Han up and then the real story tell something else. I like Han and Leia but really I hope Luke is again central to the story (more so than Han) and the new characters. By the same token I hope Han's story arc is better than Maul. Maul was shown in a similar fashion before TPM and we all know what happened - Han has already been in three movies. How can you possibly compare his arc to Maul's?
    - Ok, I looked at the trailer several times and the lens-flare still bothers me. It seems to be in every other shot on the bridge, battles, etc. If it happens in the movie with the same regularity as it did in the trailer itself, it will be Star Trek all over again.- Lens flare is only shown once, from the bridge of that ship. Don't know where all the others you mentioned are.
    -I didn't like the look of the set-up for the scene with the LS. Why is the guy with the red saber without his mask?, the "good guy" not really looking jedish, I can't put my finger to it but it looks wrong to me. Maybe it's the setting or the weird SFX for the dumb red saber with cross-guard.- Did Luke look Jedi-ish in ANH? It seems to me that Boyega holds a saber with the same sort of nervous apprehension that Luke displayed all the way through the end of Empire.
    - No C3PO and R2 in the trailer. - R2 can very clearly be seen in the trailer.

23. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    They have to be talking about OT events. It kind of mirrors the wistful conversation Obi-Wan had with Luke in ANH about the golden age of Jedi Knights and the Old Republic. This is a great way of tapping into the nostalgia of the OT. Those films are legendary to us and they events they portray are legendary for the characters 30 years later.

The thing that really struck me when I first watched the trailer is how much JJ Abrams' visual style is evident; mostly in the cinematography but also to a lesser extent in the art direction and the visual effects. As far as I'm concerned that's a double edged sword.

There's ostensibly a lot of apprehension over lens flare, it's clear to me that there will be plenty of visual elements that will clash with some peoples tastes and sensibilities. I can spot the posters here that are destined to write countless pages bemoaning it. I think it's best that you're prepared for that. The 'look' might simply feel wrong in the same sense (but not in the same way) that the PT felt wrong.

I am ambivalent in that I generally love Abrams' visual direction but I'm not sure how I'll feel about it being imposed on Star Wars when I see it. The fact that he's doing it at all is something I'm taking as a positive about his direction in general, in that it is strong direction. Abrams has taken the reins with confidence and that bodes well for everything else that makes up the film. If the story, performances and pacing are great then a bit of 'un-Star Wars-like' cinematography won't matter at all.

For what it's worth the few lens flairs in the trailers are properly motivated. In Star Trek he was shining torches down the lens off-camera in every other shot. It looks here like there'll be the odd flare that pops up whenever there's a very bright light source in the shot, which won't be too often.

Also on the note of direction, I feel like this will be the closest thing you can get to seeing what a Star Wars film directed by Steven Spielberg would be like.

Hernalt and Skellybobs like this.
  24. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Did I read somewhere that the teasers and trailer only represent the first 1/3 of the movie?

That could be your explanation as to why no Luke.

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Haven't heard that, but that's interesting!

The Bops likes this.