main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Pretty big spoiler in the new poster...

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015

Haha. I guess naturally I bring the same discretion here as I'd use outside the forums. Even for non-SW films.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ...hence my admiration for said discretion...;)

3. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

I know but how long is too long?, I remember some girl fuming at me for joking with my GF in the line-up for Titanic that I didn't really want to see the movie as I know the ending: the ship sinks :confused:

She: "thanks for spoiling the movie for me",

To which I replied: " are you serious?, you don't know the story of the Titanic?!:D

She totally gave me a hand signal that I will not repeat here.

EDIT: darn quote

4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Pretty sure it's a disguise for Ricardo Montalban.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  5. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I haven't read replies here but yes, I'm avoiding looking at the poster. I always do.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Anyone know if one can buy the full one-sheet poster somewhere? The PT posters were all on the Star Wars shop on starwars.com but I don't see that anymore...

Jedi Knight Fett and TCF-1138 like this.
  7. Darth Kermit

Darth Kermit Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2013
    So, regarding THAT part of the poster, and based on footage from the final trailer...

It is a new form of Death Star. Are we supposed to believe the antagonists would think "Third times a charm". I'm struggling to come up with a positive way the story would pan out that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    I just don't know what to make of the poster and trailer. What I was saying after watching them is "I have a bad feeling about this" as opposed to "the force is strong with this one"

Visually everything looks good. Though I really dislike the fact that in a 2:30 min. trailer there were so many scenes with fake lens-glare which worries me.

From what could be inferred about the story and the time elapsed since ROTJ, I don't know what to make of the said spoiler and other things shown, but excitement is not what comes to mind.

9. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Lens Glare -- jeez -- that is such a pointless thing to care about. Especially since there is nothing you can do about it -- and it's not Jar Jar. So why bother?

I for one am simply quite surprised about the spoiler in the poster -- I don't consider movie posters to be spoilers any more than a trailer is. Why on earth would I try that hard to avoid seeing either? They build the anticipation beyond any chat on the forums!

I just would not have expected anything less than a G_____ G__ if they wanted to go that route. I have no idea how to hide something as a spoiler -- sorry.

10. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I agree with the trailer and the poster... there really isn't anything there that gives away the entire plot nor the surprises in store. I mentioned the original Star Wars poster before which included X-Wings, TIE fighters, a lightsaber, and the Death Star, before such things entered the public imagination. The Empire Strikes Back poster had the Battle of Hoth, and Return of the Jedi poster had the rebuilt Death Star displayed. So, from my point of view, the poster image in the upper right isn't spoilerish at all.

If anything, the trailer did further to ease concerns regarding the acting capabilities of the two leads. One moment in the trailer focuses on the lead female character as she watches a spaceship take off, and I think from her nuanced facial expressions, it was pretty clear that her character was indulging in the fantasy to leave the planet behind and go off to see other worlds, similar to Luke's desire to "get off this rock" of Tatooine.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Type [ spoiler ]Your spoiler content here[ /spoiler ] with the spaces inside the brackets removed.

Darkslayer and episodenone like this.
  12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I half expect them to clone the Emperor at this rate. Every time my wife hears about that ridiculous portion of the EU, she goes off on this funny tirade and says "You know who I miss? Palpatine. He was a great guy, wasn't he? I mean, those were some good times. Wonder if we could bring him back? As soon as she saw the poster, she said, "You know what I missed?" I about died.

13. Darth Kermit

Darth Kermit Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2013
    That's brilliant!

No one seems to understand my frustration about it. It's purely because I feel the Empire/First Order/Illuminati whatever they want to call it this time wouldn't think that ANOTHER attempt at a Death Star would be the way to go forward. It's been done. Didn't work. And from a story point of view we want new scenarios, not just a new set of people blowing up a Death Star!!

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  14. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Just going off of what we saw in the trailer and the poster
    it appears that they may have found a way to keep the functionality of the weapon while losing the disaster prone platform. I was hoping we wouldn't retread the super weapon ground at all but that's just enough of a wrinkle that I'm willing to accept it.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm still saying that...

it might not be a Death Star.

16. Darth Kermit

Darth Kermit Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2013
    I'd love to believe that but...

the trailer appears to show the weapon shooting a red beam into space in the scene viewed from behind Kylo. And also the destruction of a planet at ground level in another shot. I suppose it's possible that the weapon does not blow a planet up, rather it burns the surface/wipes out life on it. That's possibly something I feel better about.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think it's funny that this entire 2nd page to this thread is almost completely spoiler tagged...[face_laugh]

episodenone and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Better safe than sorry, though. :cool:

DARTH_BELO and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  20. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Well I can rant and comment about it int he forums;) you know, vent my frustrations that JJ overuses it to "dress" or try to make a shot more "interesting" or whatever.

Lens flare happens naturally in some shots depending on how the scene is lighted and I get it that sometimes it's unavoidable, it also reminds you that you're looking into that world through the camera lens. It's just the abuse and forcing lens glare or even worse digitally adding lens flare when there's none, I don't get it. It's distracting and annoying to me. Yes I can't change JJ or the movie but it's not without merit IMHO. Just as it's not pointless to some people to argue about every other little detail about the plot, prop or creature in the film. But I won't bring it anymore until I see the final result. Hopefully the movie is not as bad as the trailer shows (in terms of flare on every scene).

On the topic of the big spoiler or surprise. I'm not surprised about some faction having
    some superweapon

This is a common theme throughout the story and also in many wars of different eras. But in a way it's a bit lazy writing if the plot revolves around the same. As mentioned we've already done this
    Anakin blows the blockade ship in TPM, Luke blows DS1 in ANH and Lando/Wedge blow DS2 in ROTJ, do we need another Spacestation (battlestation-superweapon) being blown?

21. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Once. It appears once. If you are seeing more than one lens flare you need to visit an ophthalmologist right away.

Darth Kermit likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    No, there are more. Look at the chrome trooper, or whatever they're called. There's also a very small lensflare in the very fist shot, and at a few other places.
    Still doesn't look to be more than in your average Spielberg film. The Indy movies has plenty of lens flares.

23. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Okay. I can see one tiny, blue dot in the foreground of the first shot and there is definitely some light shining off the chrome trooper's armor. Those are both natural lens flares. The only one that seems to be artificial or planned is the red one seen from the bridge of that ship. My point is the same as yours. There don't appear to be any more than your typical Amblin or OT movie. which is where JJ's entire visual style comes from.
    [​IMG]

24. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    In defense of the potential spoiler in the poster:

Return of the Jedi copied Star Wars's super-weapon first. And that movie is still fantastic. It definitely could've suffered at the hand of it's own laziness, but in the end it came down to the bigger picture. The big finale was not so much destroying the second Death Star as it was Luke's temptation and denial of the dark side, followed by Vader's redemption. If TFA in fact rips off the same super-weapon trope (we don't know for sure yet), it can still be about something much larger.

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Very well put, and echoes my feelings about it precisely!
    What if...
    this potential third Death Star is a looming threat throughout the entire trilogy? That would put an interesting spin on it.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.