main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jeykey, Jan 3, 2015.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    But the music used for the march wasn't actually used before. It was written for Episode II, and partially used during the arena, but most of it was unused.

2. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I can only guess,but in general, in Revenge they didn't use grand powerful arrangements of the Imperial Theme, because they were going for a more tragic feeling, which was odd indeed, but refreshing.

About that scene, it's odd indeed because from Rinzler's book we know that the scene was spotted and music was discussed with Williams.
    If i'm not mistaken, Williams' original cue ("Anakin's Betrayal"/"Lament") did cover the whole sequence, but the order of the scenes was different (can't recall the source for that but I'm pretty sure about that: the "Order 66" sequence was to begin in Utapau first, and then move to the montage across the galaxy and Anakin marching towards the temple), and it's possible that the middle unused section of the cue was intended for that scene (there is a whole minute of unused music).

Of course, when the order was changed and Anakin marching towards the temple moved forward, new music was needed. And although it's tracked, I like how the powerful music works in the scene.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It's one of those times where the theme chosen has nothing to do with the scene. That's the "new armies" theme from TPM and AOTC. When we see the droid army or the clone army. Why does that thematically fit the moment when Anakin truly begins his dark slide into Darth Vader? If the Imperial March was too grand and not tragic enough, fine I get that. But do something original and powerful there. It's an extremely important and powerful moment in the film and the music just tracked in from unused AOTC crap just doesn't do it justice.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Just because it was unused (at least in AOTC) doesn't make it 'crap'. It's one of my favourite tracks from the Saga, and it's not actually the 'new armies' theme (nice title by the way). It's actually subtly different and not the same as in the previous films. Besides, most tracks John Williams composes are excellent, so it makes sense to use what didn't fit in the arena battle, into a scene where it works.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't agree at all that it works. It doesn't fit tonally or thematically at all.

6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    When is the earliest John Williams can begin work on Episode VIII?

I'm thinking he could get a rough cut even before the end of filming and start working on preliminary cues....

If March is the start of principal photography then June 2016ish?

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I thought Episode VIII was already in principal photography.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm sure they learned from that one. Thankfully I wasn't old enough to get spoiled by that at the time. Lol

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I was. And I did. Not because of Lucasfilm, because I knew about it and was very careful not to look and told all my friends not to say a word. But some $&#*@ in line heard me mention the existence of the spoiler to my friend and he blurted it out loud in line. My friends actually had to hold me back from kicking the guy's ass. I was so furious. Even the Tower Records employee told the guy off for it.

10. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    But it was far than ideal for the ROTS scene. I would go as far as to say inappropriate. The scene needed something much stronger and much darker.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree. That was pretty much my exact feeling.

12. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Cerrabore made a cool cue for that scene using a hybrid of the Imperial March and the ANH Imperial Theme that works much better than the tracked AOTC music.

13. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I got spoiled for ROTJ. We were waiting in line for the second matinee on Saturday of opening weekend, and some guy coming out of the first show yells to everyone in line:

Darth Vader kills the Emperor!!!

:mad:

minnishe likes this.
  14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Was it Homer Simpson?

15. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    No, this guy was malicious in his loud spoiler pronouncement.

16. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I suspect one track will be called "The Awakening"

17. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I think the new "signature theme" will be called "The Force Awakens". I know it's technically the title of the movie but it would make a great theme title too.

18. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I wonder if another track with be Renfaire, a play on Kylo Ren's name and the abbreviation of Renaissance Faire (that most faire folk use).

19. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Track puns are more of a Giacchino thing. I prefer the formality of Williams'

Darthmaul208 and Strilo like this.
  20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah no puns.

Jedi Knight Fett and Howard Hand like this.
  21. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Not expecting the "Bad Feeling About This Polka" on the TFA soundtrack, eh?

22. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I wouldn't be against naming Rey's theme "Rey of Light" or "Rey of Hope" though but that's the only one I will allow.

Random Comments likes this.
  23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Main Title
    First Order Attack
    Rey's Theme
    Desert Graveyard
    The Quest Begins