main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General I need some help with translating a postcard I bought

Discussion in 'German Speaking FanForce' started by TheSilentInfluence, Oct 26, 2015.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    So I ended up buying a postcard from an antique shop that belonged to a German soldier who was in construction. He was writing to his parents. But I don't speak German. And the way the postcard is written is a little sideways? Most of it looks straight but I can't really read it.

Anyway I'd appreciate it if anyone would be willing to help me translate it. But I really want to know who this soldier was and what it says.

Edit: I can't add the picture it's too large. :/ I'll copy it down though if I can.

Familie
    Micheal Kurtz
    Gladbach
    Uber neuwied Schuster 55

Die besbu grufse uu hier scudet euch Peter. Wie gelit esuch worh? Floffev lick work gut? Gch kernnul oet. Weihuaclt nach House. Geh seude Euch Auch with em. Saket vitsehmutrige. Wasske. Libee Mutter 2m. Deinen Nameusfeete wiusebeich. Diruahbreaglich die besten grifse. Geh. Hattle dich beiuahe vergssen. Dermunfs manansiviwber.

I'm still going to try and write the rest on here but his handwriting isn't the best. Sorry.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I tried to read it, but it's really hard and with that many mistakes, I can get just a general meaning. So a pic of it would help a lot more.

From what I can read...
    Gladbach is a town not too far away from Cologne.

"The best wishes from here send by Peter.
    How are you? I hope you are well? I come home for Christmas. I send you ... as well... Miss you... Dear mother... Your names day is soon... Best greetings for you, too. I almost forgot you. ... ...

That's not a good translation, because I'm more guessing than being able to know exactly which word it's supposed to be. But it might give you a hint.

Hope it helps somehow.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you have Photoshop (or other photo editting software) you could use it to reduce the image size. That might help..

4. HannesS

HannesS Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2015
    bring up a photo and it should be a lot easier to translate it completly :)

5. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I scanned it onto my computer. But thank you all for your help. :) I appreciate it.

Attached Files:

6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Thanks, I tried to translate it:

I hope I could help you.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

Skiara and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  7. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That's fantastic thank you. :D

Darth_Voider likes this.
  8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That's a good translation above.

I'd just add that it is "Michael Kuntz" and "Schulstraße" (School Street) instead of "Michael Kurtz" and "Schuster". Details, but you might wanna know. :)

Btw, Gladbach is part of Neuwied. If you like you can read more about it here (and I thought about another Gladbach above, but now it's clear).

9. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Skiara

Oh, thanks. :) I'm glad to know his name. (I didn't know I had it wrong.)

That's really interesting thanks. :) I'm definitely going to read about it.

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm glad to help you, but since it's handwritten, there's always the chance that I'm wrong. But for me it's Kuntz, because I know a similar last name in RL.

11. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015

I´m a bit late but if you are interested in stuff like that it might be interesting to know:
    The font he uses is called "Kurrentschrift". Even for native speakers its difficult to read if they are not from the generation raised with it.

Here is a table from the internet that provides some overview:
    [​IMG]

12. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Oh thanks. :)

Is it like a region specific way of writing in German? Or is it used everywhere in the country?

Thank you though. That's interesting. :)

13. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015

It was the standardized way of writing from late 15th-16th century until mid 20th century. This font is meant for handwriting and so it did´t stand the test of time, my Grandmother still writes this way in a watered-down version.
    I´m form Austria, but as far as I know it was common in all german speaking countries.

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't know, if the table is correct for the beginning of the 20th century, but it shows that there's an old way of writing in German. To me - as a German - it seems that it got easier to read the younger handwriting is. There are even old letters for book printing that are similar hard to read.

But luckily at least nowadays, there are only the common letters like the ones we use here. ;)

Edit: I've checked the postcard again and the handwriting is really close to what was still taught in the late eighties and afaik got changed within the last years. At least, I heard something about plans to make learning to handwrite easier.

But in the end, everyone brings in a personal note and so some handwritings are harder to read than others, even if the person gives his best to write as nice/clear as possible. You know doctors handwritings, don't you? :p