main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will John Williams Deliver?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by ChewieWe'reHome, Aug 26, 2015.

?

What do you predict (or want) John Williams to deliver in TFA?

Poll closed Dec 17, 2015.
  1. All new pieces

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A mixture of mostly new pieces and some old

28 vote(s)
    73.7%
  3. An even mixture of new and old pieces

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. A mixture of mostly old pieces and some new

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. All old pieces

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (describe in the comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm pretty sure they are!

2. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015

I heard from somewhere (an article) that it wasn't John Williams composing it. Actually more than one composer was apparently involved in the entire piece. I'm not sure what that means, but I guess you that have seen the trailer might.

3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    #1. Yes
    #2. Maybe/probably
    #3. No

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    To Howard Hand you listen. Know this stuff does he. :yoda:

Jedi Knight Fett and Howard Hand like this.
  5. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    "Will John Williams deliver?" Oh, please. Is the Chancellor a Sith Lord?

True Sith and Dinos4Ever like this.
  6. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    It really depends on what one would consider to be "delivering". If the expectation is that Williams will deliver another timeless masterpiece on par with the OT scores then disappointment is inevitable.

7. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Yeah, really. The answer is he will deliver, make you sign for it, bring it in and unbox it himself in middle of the living room floor. The trailer music is just him honking in the driveway.

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Interesting sentiment

What makes you say so?

9. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    The OT is just a very high standard and none of John Williams' scores of late have come close to it in quality. And I don't think any of the themes will have the "hummabillity" that many want them to have (not that I really consider that to be a make or break it kind of thing).

10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think that Prequels lived up to and surpassed the OT's score.

Then there's the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull score, which is highly underrated, and well worth a listen, especially the Call of the Crystal, The Adventures of Mutt, and Temple Ruins and Secret Revealed.

So not all of William's recent work had been bad.

11. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I don't think any of his post-1975 work is bad. The only recent (2011-now) score of his that I might consider as being under a 4/5 is 2013's The Book Thief. I'm sure TFA will be really good but I don't think it'll reach the heights of his best work.
    I have to disagree with you about Crystal Skull, which I believe is one of Williams' lamest scores. Many section of it reek of autopilot (which is still better than most composers' manual pilot). Though I firmly believe it was due to the "meh" quality of the film's narrative and the collective apathy of the entire crew. His subsequent two excellent scores in 2011 proved KOTCS to be an odd fluke for me.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, the prequels' scores certainly lived up the originals'. I'm sure Williams, now back doing Star Wars for the first time since then, will deliver.

Aeneas 1138, Gus X and darskpine10 like this.
  13. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    The one sure thing we count on with 100% certainty is the fact that John Williams will deliver.

14. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    It would be nice if we had spinoffs on the Force Theme, Imperial March, Due of the Fates, Star Wars Theme, and Cantina Band. Then, we could have entirely new pieces that have the same legacy as the ones noted above.