main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Sounds like my aunt, thrice-removed. Then again, that one also thinks I'm a butch lesbian who will indoctrinate her five granddaughters into lesbianism. And I...I never liked a woman in that way. And I think she's dead boring. LOL.

Yay! :)

Admiral Volshe, Chyntuck and whiskers like this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Can you please say more about the game, Trak? At first sight your cards are great (and getting to see the process as you posted drafts here was awesome :) ) but I'm totally clueless about the context and googling "warriors of crystal" comes up with lots of results.

So you're one of those unfortunate people who are learning Ancient Greek, uh?

Bri, if you end up going to that family gathering, I want a full debriefing about the reactions to your mohawk and tattoos :p

3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Unfortunate? You aren't reassuring me about my life decisions. :p
    But yes, I'm taking Ancient Greek this year.

Admiral Volshe and Chyntuck like this.
  4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi!

Chyntuck The Warriors of the Crystal. It's a beat-em-up trading card game currently in development and being published through a third-party publisher. I haven't gotten to do any play-testing yet, but I hope to get a set or two to play soon. It's in the same vein as YuGiOh and Magic: The Gathering, though more influenced by Final Fantasy, and the play style is more akin to Golden Axe and other fantasy-based BMUps.

Chyntuck and Admiral Volshe like this.
  7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Those cards look great, TrakNar !

Last night I went to see Shonda Rhimes (creator/writer/producer of Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, Grey's Anatomy) talking about her new book "Year of Yes". While talking about her book she did talk about writing a little bit. She said she doesn't start writing something until the entire thing is in her head, she can write a script in a day because the whole thing is already there. She said she pondered on Scandal for a year and a half, went to Mexico for 4 days, wrote the pilot and submitted it the next day. She talked about how she loves writing but that she can't write something she doesn't truly love, they book the publishers wanted was on motherhood, but after trying she told them she couldn't do it, she loves being a mother but she didn't want to write about it. Then the idea for this came to her after her sisters said "You never say yes to anything."

(Also, for any Scandal fans, she told us she knows exactly where Scandal will end. [face_nail_biting] :p )

We also got a copy of her book, I've only read the intro so far, but that was great and I think the whole thing will be.

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    When I hear 'Scandal', I think of this:

:D

Gamiel, whiskers and mavjade like this.
  9. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

I like that song, but when it came to 80's women rock acts, I was always a fan of Heart more.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I love Heart, too! :D

It's just for me, that video 'The Warrior' is weird in the best possible manner. It's so weird, it's weirder than Lady Gaga. :yoda:

Gamiel and whiskers like this.
  11. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Nobody...?
    I know it's not technically all women. :p

whiskers likes this.
  12. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

Hey, I love Joan Jett, too, but I like Heart more.

13. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012

As a Gaga fan, I am now inclined to find something even weirder. :p

whiskers - I can respect that! :D

whiskers likes this.
  14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    And I gotta be honest. Although I love those ladies, my heart will always belong to the Bangles:

whiskers and Admiral Volshe like this.
  15. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011

I'll just leave this here.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Star Wars design people, IF you ever reintroduce the zeltrons so should this video be among the things you should watch for how they should look

----------------------------------------------------

Who let in the nagai?

--------------------------------

Also I would like to ad to this 80's woman music video feast

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Why is it that those women in the thumbnails/previews all seem to be looking at me with horror and/or disgust? Was it something I said? Is it my utter lack of fashion sense? Do I have spinach stuck between my teeth? What?

Chyntuck and Admiral Volshe like this.
  18. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Aaaaand now I have a plot bunny for a Nagai band in the GFFA. Oh dear. I am only 1/3 done my current bunny!!

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    You know, I'm actually trying to figure out the plot the the Patty Smyth video I posted. Cyborg Dance-Battler in post-apocalyptic Broadway fighting other dance-battlers while Referee-Mime looks on and keeps score. And what's patty's role in it?!

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Cyndi needs to be in the GFFA. NOW.

Just kidding, one of my OCs is half-her, half somebody else.

Exeter and Findswoman like this.
  21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    They were seriously the nicest guys. Very accessible, very patient and friendly. They spoke at a panel at the Mark Twain house in Hartford. Two things that were interesting highlights that you guys might be interested in.
    1. Zahn said, regarding the wipe-out of the EU, that it would have been impossible to save it all, and every character is going to be somebody's favorite so you can't win that fight. "Even the giant green rabbit is somebody's favorite." So instead, there will be some pick/choose going on. He said to imagine that there was "a flood in the Coruscant city hall basement," and some things got saved while other things were lost for good.

2. Stackpole said there is no such thing as writers block. When you feel stuck, it's usually because either you really don't know your character well enough to know what he/she would do in that situation, or you are trying to make your character do something that is out of character.

JadeLotus, Exeter, mavjade and 8 others like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Jaxxon is Jazz and Bucky's grandpa, therefore, yeah...Jaxxon, Jaxxon, Jaxxon!!! :D

Hmmm, I need to have Jaxxon date the not-Cyndi.

Would be interesting to put 2. in the writer's block thread.

Findswoman and divapilot like this.
  23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much! So nice to hear it was a good event on the whole and that they were friendly and accessible. :)

Hmm... I'll have to process what I think about that advice from Stackpole, because that almost seems to be blaming the writer unduly. It almost seems to be saying, "You got yourself into this mess because you didn't bother to get to know your character well enough." Besides, not all cases of block necessarily involve questions of what a character would or wouldn't do; writers get stuck on many other things, too (choosing or describing a scene, general ratio of description to dialogue to action, to name a very few).

Besides, who says a given character would do only one thing in a given situation? Sometimes block happens because there are several choices that are all equally in character and it's hard to choose just one of them—sort of a "rational donkey" situation. But, as Ewok Poet says, we can continue to discuss this in the Writer's Block discussion thread instead if that would be a better place.

I don't suppose they said anything in particular on the fan fiction issue, either in their talks or conversationally afterward?

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That is why I thought this could be a cool prompt for the WB thread. I disagree with Stackpole, too. My story was not going for two months and I know the characters well - it's the exact event in a chapter that took some choreography etc.

Exeter and Findswoman like this.
  25. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I will pm the sock and see about putting it in there.

I didn't ask about fanfic specifically and no one brought it up. I wasn't sure what to say. I'm assuming that for legal reasons they don't read it. (I did thank Zahn for inventing Ghent, and his face lit up. :D)

Oh yeah. I forgot to add: Regarding the EU, Stackpole mentioned that "the EU is not something Disney feels bound by but is a resource that they can mine from." So that's interesting.

Don't forget that the name "Coruscant" was invented by Zahn and both Quinlan Vos and Aayla Secura were created in the EU by Jan Duursema and appear in the movies (albeit Vos is only there for a flash). So there already is a precedent for EU/movies cross breeding.

Chyntuck, Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.