main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The rating? - Updated: PG-13

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Seagoat, Aug 18, 2015.

1. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    In my opinion, if the OT was rated today ESB and probably ANH would both be rated PG-13. The only one that might not be would be ROTJ. In the end I don't really care though, as long as it is a good movie, and as others have said they don't go out of their way to make it one rating or the other.

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    ANH.. Really??

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes.
    [​IMG]

TheOneX_Eleazar and DARTH_BELO like this.
  4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Oh, forgot about Ol Owen, and Beru!

5. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    Had the OT films been released today AND had their effects held up the same way they did back in 1977-83, they'd be rated PG-13. Space battles are all it takes now to get slapped with a "PG-13 for sci fi action/violence". How TPM and AOTC got away with PG's is still beyond me.

With that in mind, I'd say TFA will get a PG-13 rating despite probably feeling just as "family-friendly" as the original films. All just assumptions though.

BigAl6ft6, TheOneX_Eleazar and EHT like this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Iirc, ANH was right on the fence between G and PG. The shot of Owen and Beru's skeletons are what ensured the PG rating

B99 and mes520 like this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Which just shows how much more strictly the ratings are applied today. Vader crushing a guy's throat with his hand and then throwing the dead body against the wall in a G movie? Actually, because of that scene and the severed bloody arm in the cantina, I'm surprised it was ever up for a G, even back then. But yeah, now PG-13 is the norm for any kind of sci-fi or action violence. PG movies now are very tame.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I feel like ROTJ would be up for a PG13 too considering:
    • Luke being tortured with lightning
    • Vader's hand being cut off
    • The Emperor being thrown down a shaft
    • An incredibly dark shot of an Ewok being killed and another Ewok grieving
    • Sexy Leia
    • Kamikaze pilot taking down the Super Star Destroyer
    and, more importantly:
    • Hayden Christensen's creepy leer

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    No one has seen the movie yet to rate it.

10. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Rancor eating the Gamorrean alive.
    Twi-lek wardrobe malfunction.

Yeah you are probably right. The Rancor making a sad sympathetic sound on death probably would not help either.

11. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    My prediction content along the lines of ROTS-- content on the PG/PG13 border, and appropriate for older kids (8/9ish plus).

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    According to my local cinema, it will be rated 15 (as in, you have to be 15 to see it) in Sweden. That might just be preliminary though.
    ROTS was also rated 15 here, I think.

13. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    PG13 confirmed

Huh. Wonder what it's done to warrant that....

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    After watching the trailer 50+ times, I'd say its definitely PG-13!

15. Sar Bandona

Sar Bandona Jedi Padawan

Aug 6, 2013
    PG-13 would give them a bit of wiggle-room for a true sci-fi action/adventure.

I'm cool with that. Hopefully it means we are in store for awesome action and some heart-string pulls.

16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Well if an OT character dies (I strongly suspect Han will) then we can have a heart wrenching scene, but it needn't be PG13 for that

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Everything is PG-13 now, every single damn blockbuster and what exactly constitutes what is a "PG-13" is wide, ever changing margin. "PG" is now basically for slightly darker animated fare and almost indistinguishable from G. But even with the PG-13, it's a JJ Abrams movie, and all of his films have some pretty dark moments in them, which works well with Star Wars, so I fully expect it to be here. As mentioned above, the fact that AOTC and TPM got PG ratings is sort of a last gasp of the old school MPAA.

But it'll be rated PG in Canada, Ontario, though! 14A is basically 90% of "R" rated fare in the US. And a bonafide R rating in Ontario is... pretty hard R.

18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I was surprised to see that the new Jem and the Holograms is rated PG. I haven't seen it but I wonder how much they had to consider and trim in writing or production or edits to get there.

19. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    basically every action movie ever is PG13 these days. IMO PG13 kind of destroyed the ratings system, mostly because it was supposed to be a small subcategory but is now what everything shoots for unless its an animated film, or doesn't care about the teenage audience.

When was the last time you saw a G live-action movie, even one that was "for families"?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I've always thought Jabba's death was fairly intense. I probably wouldn't deem it PG-13 worthy over it, but I could see if the film were released today, it might get the rating because of it.

Force Smuggler and Dinos4Ever like this.
  21. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Not to mention Jabba's gratuitous drooling. They now include "slime" among the ratings these days. o_O

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    From a non-US citizen: what is the age for a movie rated PG?

In Sweden the age restriction ratings are 7, 11 and 15 years. Movies that have the 11-year rating may be attended by someone under 11 if they go with their parents. I am hoping for an 11 rating for SW7 to be able to bring my 9 year old daughter. :)

23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    It's rated 15 in Sweden. Could be that SF (not to mention non-chain theatres - where in Sweden are you at? I might have some suggestions depending on where you live) don't enforce this too thoroughly, if you're lucky.

24. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    As far as I understand it the movie has not been officially rated yet, but as the tickets are for sale they must apply the highest age rating (15) at this moment, but this might change, hopefully to an 11-rating. :)

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Really? I didn't know that!
    And even though I don't have any kids, I agree that it should be an 11-rating. Star Wars should always be something kids are able to watch! Or at least the main saga films should (a war-movie like Rogue One might not be suitable for kids).

DV-213 and Gus X like this.