main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ok so who really invented the B-Wing?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ScorpionJedi, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    So a friend of mine watched the newest episode with the B-Wing and then mentioned that Ackbar was the one who made the B-Wing and I checked Wookiepedia and it checks out as Canon.

So I guess the story group has some explaining?

2. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Well, quarrie's ship was the prottype which had two cockpits.
    Maybe Ackbar took part in redesigning it? :)

3. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015

Probably. This prototype might be good against the smaller ship the Empire used (is it called acclemetor class?) but would probably not damage a star destroyer. Also, the lack of being able to jump to hyperspace is a big problem because it makes escaping harder.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Interesting its either a mistake or Ackbar helped with later versions.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ackbar's involvement is a holdover from the old EU - that made it into the newcanon book Ultimate Star Wars.

6. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Why does it say N/A on this thread? What does it mean?

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    Are they still holding onto the idea that Akbar designed it? I thought that was out the window with most of the old EU. I suppose they made the engineer a Mon Calamari as simply a "tip of the hat" to that old idea.
    On the other hand, there could have easily been more than one designer, the same way Jedi had more than one teacher. (Yoda trained Obi-Wan, even though Qui-Gonn was his master)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There are always going to be things like this going on. That's why a catch-all reference book like USW so early in the new canon wasn't a great idea.

Either way it's not a big deal. Doesn't even really need a retcon, just a simple explanation: Quarrie designed a prototype and maybe Ackbar helped get it into production.

The trickier bit is that Rebels Recon establishes that the Alliance doesn't get it from the Phoenix rebels until later on -- and we know Ackbar's with the Alliance as of Yavin.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    ? No, it doesn't. It says A-wings and B-wings are serving in other units.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll listen to it again later, but the sense I got was that this group didn't merge with the Alliance until later? But if I misread it, it's probably better -- it'd be odd for a group affiliated with Organa not to be working with the Alliance.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Look, the way I see it, continuity buffs got their piece of chocolate the moment the episode name-dropped Shantipole. Now they're disturbed because it didn't match up exactly with one single caption in one single book? Seriously, if the fighter was designed by Ackbar or Quarrie, does it really matter? Either way, it was designed by a human prawn.

DarthIshyZ, Sarge and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think what it does is show exactly *why* having lore-heavy reference books explaining everything in advance is something they don't want to do, bc it messes up their ability to write new story arcs (like this one).

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    My gut retcon was that Ackbar had some hand in the initial concept before Rebels, actually; and presumably before his involvement with the Alliance. Maybe he and Quarrie were in school together.

Get it??? Fish?? School??? [face_clown]

14. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    It's a rivalry akin to Tesla/Edison

Ackbar will be electrocuting Banthas next to prove Quarrie's superlaser is dangerous.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I actually like that--this is why retcons can be fun sometimes.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Retcons can be fun although I hope the approach TSG takes is just to say "yeah USW was premature/wrong." We don't need everything to be explained/retconned. That was a big pet peeve of mine with Legends.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Pfluegermeister and Taalcon like this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I dunno, I think both can be true. If Wedge stealing the Tydirium can only be explained through torturous means I would rather they just didn't bother, but if something artful came up that actually made the story more complex and interesting I would hope they'd find a place for it--even if it's years from now, as was often the case in EGs.

And I mean, if what you want is for Pablo to hold a press conference and admit USW was a horrible mistake, I don't think you're gonna get it. :p

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, this is all pre-formalization of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Once the rebel cells coalesce and form the Alliance I'm sure designs are shared among all Rebel sector forces. Plus we know that the Rebel Command Fleet seems to use all of the common designs.

--Adm. Nick

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No I just mean like an informal "don't worry about it" or something. :p

And sure, if there's a development that enriched the story and setting then by all means. I just don't like retcons for the sake of retcons when it's explaining what's just a mistake or inconsistency.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    If we REALLY want to dissect what happened (and I question how useful that could be, but whatevs...), then I suppose it looks like this: during the preparation of Ultimate Star Wars for publishing, one or more writers and/or editors decided that this piece of the Legends was worth keeping in the article concerned, primarily (I'd assume) because it was deemed extremely unlikely at that point that anything would eventually come along to contradict it - honestly, what are the odds of LFL one day, let alone only a few months or so after publishing, doing a story all about the birth of a fighter, where the designer was instead made a different character with a name that's nothing more than a Ralph McQuarrie name drop? Who the hell knew?

Plus, Ultimate did a HELL of a lot of EU-retention in its pages. Much of what was established about the background characters is still there, same about the names of characters and their basic backstories, and same about the basic geography of the galaxy (with certain exceptions, most of the planets of the EU are still where they were in the EU, in sectors with the same names as the ones in the EU). There's a lot of Legends in this book. And that's fine. It's just that the people making the book made a call that turned out to be a bad one, because they didn't know there was going to be a B-wing origin episode coming. Oops.

No one needs Pablo to do some kind of an explanation followed by a mea culpa; it's fairly easy (for some people, at any rate) to figure out what happened and how to respond properly to it, and it's hardly important enough to warrant a public statement of any kind on the matter.

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    There is no contradiction. The contradiction is a lie. Contradictions are a thing of the past. There is the Story Inner Council now.

22. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    While I would tend to agree with you that Pablo doesn't need to explain it, they eventually responded to having Sabine, Hera, and Zeb all in one TIE at the end of "Fire Across the Galaxy." I'm sure you remember the numerous people commenting (dare I say whining?) over the three of them in the TIE at once in the TV forum after that. Everything was said ranging from "They need suits when they are flying that" to one of the more ridiculous things I saw "The air diffuses out of the cockpit, they wouldn't survive!" :confused:

23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The prototype looks nothing like the mass-produced version, there's no secondary seat and no superlaser on the finished design. Ackbar could be working with those manufacturers mentioned in the episode.

Dawud786 likes this.
  24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    He did give an answer regarding the TIE issue...
    and that answer contradicted Ultimate Star Wars.

I should start a list of things from Ultimate that have already been contradicted.
    The genesis of the B-wing
    The theft of the Tydirium
    Zev Senesca's homeworld...

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  25. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    My point is, they SHOULDN'T have to respond to that kind of crap. Can people not just enjoy the story being told and overlook an unbelievably mild fudging of things like the capacity of a TIE cockpit? Can no one, when they're wondering how he eats, and breathes, and other science facts, just repeat to themselves, "It's just a show; I should really just relax"?

jasonfry, Sarge, CIS Droid and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.