main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2016|December discussion and mini-challenge now up

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    This challenge was created in 2007 by the_wandering-shadow. It was/is such great fun, that it should be done again...and again and again and again. Now under a sock to ward of DRL, so if something happens to your current hosts, Kahara and Pandora, the thread will go on anyway.:D

What is the Dear Diary Challenge about?

It’s about keeping a private journal of day-to-day events of a character’s thoughts and events that has gone on in their lives. There can be times where nothing is entered for weeks, it can be pretty loose on when the entries take place, just make sure you mention a certain amount of time has passed between entries.

Teh Rulez:

1)
    You have to keep the diary of a character for a whole year. It does not matter if it's canon cast or OC, AU, non-Star Wars, whatever. Write the diary of a droid, surprise us all. There was a diary of Yoda's Lightsaber once. Nothing's impossible!:D

2)
    You have to update a least twice a month. You can update as often as you want. Just remember you need to have enough story left for the rest of the year.;)

3)
    The length of the updates does not matter. Write a paragraph, write pages, do what you want. Just do it.

4)
    I'm the keeper of the documents, meaning the Indexer. If you fail to update for a month, I'll send you a reminder and give you another week to update. This means seven days from the missed month update, not seven days from the date of the PM. For example, if your diary was last updated on March 3, and you haven't updated in 31 days - April 3 (NOTE: the number of days is subject to the number days in a given month, so if you last updated in February, it would be 28 days +7), you would have until April 10 to update, regardless if I failed to PM you until the fifth of April. If you fail to update after the extended 7 days, you're out. NO Exceptions! If you want to do NaNo, keep that in mind. Do some updates up in front, you'll be amazed how little time to write you might have.

5)
    Make my life easy, will you? PM the Diary_Challenge_Sock when you update your diaries. [face_batting]

6)
    No posting (and writing) until January 1st 2016 [face_shame_on_you]
    Think and talk as much as you want though.

7)
    There will be a mini-challenge each month. I will give you a theme or topic to integrate into the diary. It is NOT obligatory, just something to get your imagination running.

8)
    If you failed to update for a month three times, the next time you don't update for a month, the diary will automatically drop out of the challenge. It does not matter if that three times are in a row or scattered across the year.

9)
    Voting for the winner will be in the first two weeks of January. Everybody may vote, so invite your readers to do so, and everybody you know.

10) The dead line to enter a diary is Jan 15th. If an issue arises that makes you miss the dead line, please let me know and we can work something out.

If there are any questions left, post them here in the thread, or send a PM to either the sock or one of the hosts.

Old Challenge Threads:
    Dear Diary Challenge 2007
    Dear Diary Challenge 2008

Dear Diary Challenge 2009
    Dear Diary Challenge 2010
    Dear Diary Challenge 2011
    Dear Diary Challenge 2012
    Dear Diary Challenge 2013
    Dear Diary Challenge 2014
    Dear Diary Challenge 2015

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    2016 Index

The Winners:

Letters Never Sent by Ewok Poet (First Place)

The Journal of the Former Emperor's Hand by Carlos Danger (Second Place)

--------------------------------------

The index will be sorted by era and title. The color coding is as follows:

Green = within the updating schedule
    Orange = 14 days without an update.
    Red = one month without update, you have 7 days to update, or you're out of the challenge
    Blue = Out of competition. Diary is currently still being updated.

Before the Saga

The Saga

The Force is guiding me, Kaagi Adin by earlybird-obi-wan Completed 2016 December 16

Letters Never Sent by Ewok Poet Completed 2016 December 31

Beyond the Saga

The Journal of Talon Tantiss Part four by Jedi Lover Updated 2016 December 31

Non-Star Wars

diary of Nick Roberts by earlybird-Obi-Wan Completed 2016 December 16

The Force Awakens

The Journal of the Former Emperor's Hand by Carlos Danger Completed 2019 July 27

-----

Out of Competition

My Holodrama Is Like Life by leiamoody Updated 2016 September 14

And Let the Shadows Fall Behind You by JadeLotus Updated 2016 September 9

Something is shining like gold, but better by Pandora Updated 2017 January 21

--------

Mini Challenges

January: New Starts
    February: Startling Observations
    March N/A
    April N/A
    May: Half Asleep
    June N/A
    July N/A
    August N/A
    September: Hobbies
    October: "The Ghosts that Haunt Me"
    November: Out of Place

December: The Portrait of Your Narrator

Monthly Discussions

September:Diary Keepers
    October: "Life will sooner or later shows its claws."
    November: Career Day

December: "Goodbyeee"

-------------

Dead Diaries

Captain and Pilot (a Mara Jade diary) – part 2 by Tarsier Updated January 07 2016
    Hunter's Log: Tales From the Shadows by SabyneAmberle Updated February 07 2016
    The Face behind the Mask a 501st Journal by gaarastar58 and CheckSix Updated February 27, 2016
    Watching Death: The Secret Journal of Praetor Ordo by Volund Starfire Updated 2016 April 7
    A Secret Ally: Clone Trouble by Falcon Updated 2016 May 10
    140 Characters by Chyntuck Updated 2016 May 11
    Inner Struggle by Falcon Updated 2016 May 13
    The Force Energized by RX_Sith Updated 2016 May 23
    A Shining Light into Darkness: Caught between Worlds by Falcon Updated 2016 May 27
    Busted by Lazy K Updated 2016 May 30
    Listening, Learning and Loving by Nyota’s Heart Updated 2016 August 20

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    2015 Index

The Winners:

Turn Your Face to the Sun by JadeLotus and The God of Second Chances: The Journal of Breha Amidala Solo by divapilot (First Place)

Notes for when you are older by Kahara (Second Place)

The Chronicles of I-5yq by Ewok_Slayer (Third Place)

---------------------------------

The index will be sorted by era and title. The color coding is as follows:

Green= within the updating schedule
    Orange= 14 days without an update.
    Red= one month without update, you have 7 days to update, or you're out of the challenge
    Blue= Out of competition. Diary is currently still being updated.

Before the Saga

The thoughts of the Light and Dark Sides of the Force by Lady_Misty Completed

The Saga

Iron Butterfly: The Diary of a Queen by Briannakin Completed

Mick’s Notes by earlybird-obi-wan Completed

The Secret Diary of Kaagi Adin by earlybird-obi-wan Completed

The Chronicles of I 5yq by Ewok_Slayer Completed

A Shining Light into Darkness: Silver Lining by Falcon Completed

Turn Your Face to the Sun by JadeLotus Updated Dec 30th 2015

Beyond the Saga

The Journal of Talon Tantiss Jedi Knight and Reluctant Vornskr Owner by Jedi_Lover Completed

The God of Second Chances: The Journal of Breha Amidala Solo by divapilot Completed

Notes for when you are older by Kahara Completed

A Secret Ally: Scoundrel Trouble by Falcon Completed

Non-Star Wars

An Unofficial Captain’s Log by Nyota’s Heart Updated Completed

My Family of the Soul by Nyota's Heart Completed

Mini Challenges

Jan Wet and cold
    Feb Love
    March n/a
    April n/a
    May n/a
    June vacation gone wrong
    July n/a
    Aug n/a
    Sept n/a
    Oct Trick or treat

Nov n/a
    December n/a

Out of Competition

Dead Diaries

Hunters Logs, Tales of a Champion by SabyneAmberle Updated Feb 23 2015

An Officer and a Gentleman: The Private Journal of Malavai Quinn by SabyneAmberle Updated Feb 23 2015

Watching Death: The Secret Journal of Praetor Ordo by Volund Starfire Updated Feb 13 2015

Artoos Frazzled Circuits The Hand of Thrawn by Hazel Updated April 06 2015

Redshirt: Ships Record of UCAS Murphy by Volund Starfire Updated Jan 24 2015

Ramikad Jorso'ran Jetii'kad by Revanfan1 Updated Jun 30 2015

The Hobbit LORD a Slingshot for a Scribe by Space_Wolf Updated Sept 20 2015

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I can't believe it's already this time again!! Looking forward to some new diaries :D

I do have a question: Will any diaries that deal with material in The Force Awakens be part of Saga?

Falcon likes this.
  5. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    Index is updated and we can go a head and discuss all you want. No writing on Jan 01st 2016

If I missed something please let me know.

6. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Congrats to all who have made it this far =D= one more month to go so hang in there :)

I think that could be up for discussion ;)

Separate titles New Beyond the Saga and Old Beyond the Saga or just mix it in with Beyond the Saga?

Different new characters? They're being pretty tight lipped with what they have planned.

7. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    How about just putting them under "The Force Awakens"? No extra interpretation needed and that way, it serves as a spoiler warning for anybody who hasn't seen the movie by the time the dairies go up.

Next year with Rogue One out there might need to be something more for the 2017 thread, but my guess is by then we'll already have an agreed-upon understanding of how to classify stories clearly.

Falcon and Lady_Misty like this.
  8. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    That's a good idea [face_thinking]

I for one, am trying to remain spoiler free at this point.

I think it's a good idea, anyone else have an idea or should we just go with Exeter's idea?

9. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Yet another victim of reckless copy-and-pasting. [face_shaken_sadly]

10. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    me and my bad [face_tee_hee]
    I copy and paste the three posts really quickly so no one else has a chance to respond inbetween. I'll fix it next time I log in

11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    (Everybody noticed 2015, nobody noticed Exeter's epic typo that the eight-boobed lady from ROTJ is, well, lactating over. :eek: )

12. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Milk it for all it's worth, why don't you. [face_frustrated]

Chyntuck, Falcon, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    That's the worst thing I've seen anybody udder recently, no offense. :p

Back on topic. I plan to finish both of my current fics by may and start the joint sequel to both of them. I should be able to write a diary, but I have no idea for whom. Has a fanficcer ever asked others which of their OCs or favourite/commonly used characters should write a diary?

Falcon, Admiral Volshe and Exeter like this.
  14. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I may or may not do this, depending on how much fic I get done by Christmas. :) So I am a maybe!

Jar-Jar. Please.

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    HUSHHHH! We are avoiding the topic of era categorization :p

In fanfic-wide terms, Mav and I were REALLY HOPING to get multi-tags by the time TFA dropped, BUT it's looking like we may have to take some "temporary" measures :rolleyes: However, for the purposes of this challenge, I suggest either lumping them with Saga, or creating a "sub" era of "TFA-".

As for me and my diary writing, it CRUSHES me to say that I may be taking a break this year (NOOOOOOOO!). I KNOW I said last year that since I was giving both twins to Breha in 2015, that I'd give both twins to Beru in 2016 (and I still want to), and I still want to finish a Ben Skywalker diary, and dip my feet into NSWFF and do a River Song diary, BUT this year's diary spurred a fic THAT WILL NOT END! (not that I'm complaining. My rom-com in space is the funnest thing to write). I really want to finish that fic and do some other stuff I've neglected.

But, you all know I love this challenge so much that I often decide to do it on like January 1st, because it is so much fun.

16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I planned on continuing with A Secret Ally. I had some inspiration by a spoiler my friend's son dropped on me one day or it might be a rumor. It got me thinking [face_thinking] it would make things interesting that's for sure and maybe a bit confusing for all involved [face_tee_hee]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ooh! *Sits up and takes notice!*

Falcon and Briannakin like this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. I've wanted to do one for YEARS now (well, since like 2012) but I never have because I never feel like I have the time to do it justice. I actually began plotting it out a few years ago, but I backed down. But when I eventually do it, I want to be able to do it well.

However, I will like pay someone (in pretend internet money) to do a River Song Diary for the DDC. I'd read that shavit.

Falcon likes this.
  19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Forgive my ignorance...

Who or what is "River Song"? 'Tis an odd name.

20. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

[​IMG]

(The picture is a link! But past the first 3 sentences you may feel a bit confused if you haven't seen Doctor Who!)

Shira A'dola and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm in for 2016. I was bitten hard by a plot bunny a while back, and I have it already mostly planned out [face_dancing]

Falcon and Briannakin like this.
  22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Admiral Volshe Thanks. I suspected Doctor Who but wasn't sure. I have to admit that I have never seen a single minute of any Doctor Who episode, mainly because time travel is just not something I'm a fan of.

Falcon and Admiral Volshe like this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, River Song ("what kind of hell hippy name is that" - my mother) is a Doctor Who character. Part of the 'joke' of me wanting to do her diary is that she actually keeps a diary in the show. And gosh darn it, that gif makes me REALLY want to do it. Because it would be all sass (something I really haven't been able to do with recent works).

Maybe. I'll see if I can plot out her... slightly confusing timeline again and organize it into a diary. But between exams, TFA and the annoying thing called the holidays, I don't see it happening. But there's a reason why I get sucked into this challenge every year.

Edit: this is why I hate this challenge. I'm lying awake in bed, thinking about ALL THE DIARIES I want to do, I go back to my original idea of a Beru Lars diary, then a plot bunny bites and I go 'oh my goodness; that is genius. That kills 2 plot bunnies I wanted to do next year.'

Falcon and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Would there be enough material to maintain a diary for River?

Is it an entry per day (365 posts!), per week (52), per month (12)?

25. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002

2 entries minimum per month for the full year = 24 entries total, she could very well pull it off.​