main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sexy looking.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The trailer was posted a day or two early, but its now been officially announced that Street Fighter V is coming to the PS4 as a console exclusive (and PC). We all knew SFV was coming someday, but surprised it isn't on the XB1 too. I'm not even really a fighting game fan, but this is probably kind of a big deal, I think? Though a few sites have already noted that while SFV has been said to be a console exclusive, who knows if that includes the eventual Super/Ultra/Arcade/Hyper/Super Duper/etc. versions.

4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

I've been a fighting game fan since the days of old school arcades and SNES. Being an Xbox One owner, I'm fairly surprised by the news, but not heartbroken over it. I own SF4 on 360 and while I had fun playing it with friends in the same living room, I could never figure it out enough to become a contender online. I also never bothered with Capcom's ensuing titles (SF4 sequel, Marvel vs. Capcom). Given my limited playtime with SF4, I doubt I would have invested much time with SF5.

As for the exclusivity, my bet is that Sony worked a sweet deal for Capcom to make it so, if only in response to the success of Microsoft's Killer Instinct XB1 exclusive. In the various gaming boards I've frequented, there seems to exist a demand in the Sony gamer community for a taste of Killer Instinct. Seeing as how that would be impossible (given that MS owns KI), Sony probably decided to appease their community with this Capcom deal.

Given the success of Killer Instinct and Microsoft's continual support of the game (with new updates launching every month), I don't foresee a large outcry from the Xbox community. Admittedly, Street Fighter as a brand carries more punch than Killer Instinct, but even if SF5 were cross-platform, I don't imagine that I'd drop KI in favor of it. Killer Instinct boasts a complex, layered fighting system almost on par with the likes of SF4, but at the same time is more approachable and inviting for new players. But who's to say that SF5 will just be an upgraded SF4? Maybe SF5 will boast a system as approachable as Killer Instinct's. I doubt it, but oh well.

At any rate, at least Sony didn't work out such a deal with WB/NetherRealm. Been a fan of Street Fighter since the legendary SF2, but I can live without it. Take away my Mortal Kombat and, well, I'd find myself saving for a PS4. :p

If there's any fighting game that can take me away from the ever-evolving Killer Instinct (and seriously, kudos to Microsoft for keeping that game fresh and livening it up every month), it's Mortal Kombat.

edit:

Watched the gameplay trailer for SF5. It does look an awful lot like SF4 (an art direction I'm not the biggest fan of). The only differences visible in the trailer are the mid-fight arena changes (kind of a sloppy and lackluster version of the more in-your-face outlandish mid-fight arena changes NetherRealm implemented in past Mortal Kombats and its DC Universe titles).

But I'm sure the game will do well.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Boy this thread doesn't get bumped often, but there's actually big news on the hardware (ish) front: PlayStation 2 Games Coming To PlayStation 4 With New Emulator System

Shortly after the Battlefront PS4 came out, it was noticed that the old PS2 games in the bundle were running on an HD upscaling emulator, rather than being "real" remakes. This got some speculation fueled that's now confirmed: PS2 emulation is in the works. This isn't too outrageous as the specs in a PS4 are, if translated to an equivalent PC, about on par with what we know can emulate PS2 games at 1080p.

While it's not exactly "Insert your 360 games and play them on your Xbox One via a downloaded emulator" levels of backwards compatibility, I'm eager to finally, finally be able to put my PS2 away if this pans out.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I wonder how that works if you have something like a GameShark for playing a PS2 game. I had to finally resort to one to make it through a few levels of Bounty Hunter. (And flying with the unlimited jetpack is just plain fun, as is running through the Longo Two Guns level with infinite health.)

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But isn't it pretty much the same level of BC (other than the automated download link gimmick?), if not better?

Regardless, it's good to know I'll be able to retire my PS2 once I get a PS4- given how fragile PS2 hardware is, I don't expect mine to last forever.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, but also no; MS is making some efforts to making sure you can redownload stuff you already own, there's no word any which way from Sony on what will happen there.

In a perfect world I can just put my PS2 disc in my PS4 and play some mother****ing Nocturne but I suspect that won't be the case. They're of course free to prove me wrong.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, so your concern is a paywall?

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, they might just sell PS2 classics like they used to. Time will tell.

11. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm also wondering if PS2 games we bought on PSN will be playable on PS4. It would be really nice if a PS2 simulator was included in a future update, or heck, even if they sold an application for that on PSN for something like $30 (or $50 if they were really being greedy), but if they at least allow for those PSN PS2 games to be playable on PS4, that would be a good start. I forget, are PS1 discs still playable on PS4? Probably not, though I'm mostly sure PS3 still has that capability.

Best case scenario would be if they had a simulator that just let you put in old PS2 discs in your PS4, but that would probably be too much to hope for. If they included some sort of rescaling option too, that would be nice. I think I've seen Youtube vids of stuff like Persona 4 in HD. I remember buying a first-gen PS3 for backwards compatibility, too bad that first PS3 melted down long ago. I think the second gen PS3 had partial software based PS2 backwards compatibility, but they dropped it later on for cost reasons. Though HD remakes/ports were starting to really take off about then too, possibly. Well, this sure would be good news for the next E3 presentation. Here's hoping.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Welp, judging by the disclaimer on this leak, it looks like you have the privilege of buying your PS2 games again.

[​IMG]

Not terribly surprising, as who even knows what myriad issues could crop up with trying to get from the disc versions working, but it also looks like your having bought the game for PS3's PS2 Classics program is meaningless.

I think I'm mostly annoyed because I have some PS2 games I like that definitely won't be in this program by virtue of their sheer goddamn nicheness so I can't just retire the box.

13. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, not one of the better scenarios, but also not surprising. PS+ subscription required? So is it going to be like their Playstation Now streaming service too? Combined with HD ports of old games that most game companies are doing these days. Funny that Dark Cloud is one of their first games, I expected something like Ratchet and Clank or God of War, but then those already got PS3 ports too.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That PS+ notice is with regards to Shareplay, i.e. the ability to hit the Share button on your DS4 and stream it. That's a standard Sony disclaimer so I wouldn't read too much into that part.

15. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, that was fast. Several PS2 games will be available on PS4 tomorrow. I've played Rogue Galaxy before, but a PS4 version sounds a bit tempting. Never got around to Dark Cloud before, now might be a good time. I forget if DC1 or DC2 was supposed to be better, but I heard something good about one of those.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If I'm remembering correctly (although I've similarly not played either) DC1 is good and DC2 is a strong "AVOID."

ALSO HOLY **** ROGUE GALAXY! That game is outrageously expensive on the second-hand market so I never got to play it. I'm so incredibly down for Star Wars: The JRPG... if only the pricing wasn't such that I feel obligated to wait for a sale.

17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Ace Combat is back to being Playstation exclusive. AC7 is coming. HYPE

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So anyone actually downloaded any of those yet?

As I went looking for them in PSN and nothing's up for the UK.

EDIT: Or they're just hidden.... Just found this:

"When you got to the PS Store website and click on "games" you have an option to click on "classics" category. Within this category is PS1 classics and PS2 classics. Also within this menu is "device" with options of PS3, Vita, or PSP."

Maybe it'll work.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes: as tutoring money facilitates impulse purchasing on my part, I picked up Rogue Galaxy. They're exactly what they claimed they'd be - 1080p, trophies, etc. The game runs very smoothly, and while I don't know if the original game was just well optimized or what load times seem to be basically nonexistent. The whole thing's a slick package, but the price point is a bit difficult to justify unless it's a game like RG where price gouging has made even $15 a steal. *Cough* That'd make the Xenosaga Trilogy an ideal pick *cough cough*

Those are PS1/PS2 classics, which are a different emulation package optimized for PS3 and consequently do not work on PS4. More irksomely, if you own the PS2 classics version of a game, you don't just get the emulated version for free. Don't buy those if you're looking for the PS4 versions.

I'm in the US, but there was a dedicated tab in the PS Store on the system called PS2 on PS4. If they're up in the UK store I'd imagine there'd be a similar tab, so they might not be available in Europe yet.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Correct - it didn't work.

From your description sounds like they're not up yet.

Not to worry, got enough games to play as it is!

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Reduced/eliminated load times would be an interesting benefit to some games- I remember the mid-level load times on Bounty Hunter made the PS2 version intolerable to play versus the mid-load-free GCN version.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    According to Eurogamer Bounty Hunter runs a lot better on PS4 than it ever did on PS2, though right now it's still a Battlefront bundle exclusive.

23. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I finally bought a PS4 and naturally had to get the Darth Vader one. :D It's in NYC with my fiancé, but when I get there, I can play it and Star Wars Battlefront! Also, I played Until Dawn at a party, where we took turns playing it, and I loved it. So, I'm excited to play that again.

Also, I got a PS3 back when the FFX and X-2 remasters were coming out and I also got the Uncharted games for really cheap...but now I'm thinking I should just get the PS4 versions of those games. :p

24. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I remember that game being outstanding for the time I played it. Never finished it (I think I got stymied on a boss and just gave up) but definitely enjoyed my time with it.

25. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002

I remember pitching Rogue Galaxy as the "last great RPG of the PS2". I think I even bought it and the strat guide, but I think I sold them because I never played it... :(