main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gentlemen's Writing Guild

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SkalenFehl, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Welcome! I look forward to reading your story. Thought I'd dust off an old one, which I shared here about ten years ago:

Removed

Mav Edit: Hey guys! Super happy to have this thread back for our male friends in a female dominated forum. But since this technically is a social thread, we don't allow for linking to specific fics. You can see the specific post in the FAQ HERE.

Dashren2001 likes this.
  2. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Sorry 'bout that. Guess I'm stumped. :confused:

3. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Ok, how many guys are there around here? Dashren2001, I was reading your story and it disappeared. Hope it wasn't anything I said or did. I was enjoying it, too. Didn't get past the first chapter, though. Bummer, man.

There is a disturbance in the Force...

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm around here, and unfortunately, I'm the reason for his and its disappearance.

That was far from my intention; Dashren had great descriptive skill.

Exeter and SkalenFehl like this.
  5. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    OK, after reading the linked FAQ above and a private discussion with mav, I understand a little better how this new place works. We are still allowed to have our traditional challenges, in which case posting links to challenge stories is acceptable. Otherwise, the rules apply and no linking, etc allowed.

*walks over to the fridge and grabs some blue milk and chugs a lug*

Nasty stuff. Ok, where was I? Oh, challenges. Well, that's what this place was mostly about. Seeing as we're men, plenty of belching will be happening (at least), beard combing, and unapologetic butt scratching. If at least five dudes start posting regularly, we'll have ourselves a little challenge. I know, I know, that means socializing. Well, here in the GWG, socializing can be sharing whatever you want as long as it's manly. Maybe you just changed the brakes in your car. Or you can just make a single word post like:

*BELCH*

And that's good enough for me. So plop down on that recliner since it's so quiet in here, don't mind the 1/2 inch thick dust, relax, and ponder the next challenge, preferably something short and manly since we have short attention spans, because I'll tell you what, if I had a dollar for each time I lost my train of thought, I wish I had a puppy.

6. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    We're no longer allowed to post links here? That was a huge draw, supporting each other and catching stories we otherwise would've missed out on. I mean, we had regular challenges and indexes back in the day...

Not sure if the GWG has much future if it's just as a social thread. We already have a great one that doesn't get enough traffic to warrant poaching from :p

EDIT: Looks like you cleared that up for me, Skalen! Glad to hear it.

SkalenFehl likes this.
  7. Dashren2001

Dashren2001 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 20, 2008
    Hey, sorry about that. I'm going through a rough patch right now and had put an lot (probably too much) attention on that fic. It was getting better as it was going along, but I hadn't had time to go back and clean up the first chapter yet. Sith-I-5, most of your feedback was perfectly valid, there was just something in the tone that caught me the wrong way. Combine that with some of the chaos right now, I felt it best to just back out of the situation for a little bit.

I will go ahead and repost it, and don't be afraid to keep up the feedback. It was a momentary thing.

EDIT: SithI5, if you still have that feedback, please PM it to me, I would like to reread it. I fixed a few of the smaller things but I want to fix the first part proper before moving on.

SkalenFehl and Exeter like this.
  8. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Dash, sorry 'bout the rough patch. I know what that's like. About a year before the old place took a nose dive, some of us gents went through some tough times. I lost my house, closed my business down back then. The last decade was rough. But we're men. We pull ourselves up by the bootstraps and let out a belch and press on. I've always tried to remain positive so the more of us, the merrier. I'm sure we'll get another guy or two rolling in soon and then...what is that smell? Anyway, we'll talk about a challenge. I think we had a manly challenge that produced some hilarious, but manly vignettes. I remember one parodied Ahnuld. "Stick around." That was funny stuff. Anyway, that blue milk caffeine is kicking in since I'm just rambling now..

Dashren2001 likes this.
  9. Dashren2001

Jan 20, 2008

Mind if I propose a challenge? I think it could be good.

10. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Go for it!

11. Dashren2001

Jan 20, 2008
    CHALLENGE:

"The last two battleships hurled volleys of lasers between them, their enormous hulls catching thick rays off the local star. From a distance, they looked as small fish, fighting for control of the sea of burnt and broken metal all around. A small explosion was the warning of the many the followed, and the penultimate ship joined its bretheren in the fresh graveyard. A good ways away at the edge of the quieting battlefield, two starfighters, practically microscopic compared the to the battleships that had just finished their duel, float freely among the wreckage, dark and dead like everything else. From the outside, it was impossible to tell that the two fighters contained living, breathing men. Moments ago, an extended dogfight had left the two pilots without engines or instruments. One pilot watched, a vast, exhausted smile on his face, as his side apparently won the battle. Then the remaining battleship disappeared into the blue stretches of hyperspace.

Now, the only other living person for thousands of killometers in every direction, was the pilot who had left him with naught but a half-functioning radio and a couple hours of air."

It's open enough to any era or side. This was the scenario that started 08th MS Team, would love to see it get the SW treatment.

12. Dashren2001

Jan 20, 2008
    Thinking about it, if any of you guys have tried to get into anime, but it wasn't quite gritty or manly enough for ya, I would HIGHLY recommend 08th MS Team. Easily my favorite war anime, essentially Vietnam with giant robots.

13. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    That was a well written piece. I'm not sure what is happening, though, but it seems like two battleships are somehow using this laser net to catch all the wreckage, but it also seems like they might have been in a dog fight. Also, I'm just a few years shy of 50 so Anime isn't my cup of blue milk. But what did you have in mind for the challenge?

14. Dashren2001

Jan 20, 2008

Maybe I'm confused about the difference between a challenge and a prompt.

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sorry to hear.

And eleven days ago, I lost my Dad. It is a new existence I am living in.

If we cannot link to stories because of the nature of this thread, can we...

a) Re-purpose the thread to whatever kind allows links;

b) link to a thread that does allow links to stories?

Dashren2001 - because I triggered the issue, before I send you anything, I need you to follow this link, http://boards.theforce.net/threads/authors-open-to-pm-concrit-list.50033795/]Authors[/url] open to Concrit, read, and if you want, sign up to allow Constructive Criticism.

16. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Hmm, I have no clue what you mean by a prompt, but challenges are like assignments with specific parameters, since the GWG is all about being creative. For example, just off the top of my head, I will informally issue a challenge, which any dude may feel free to accept:

The Amnesia Challenge.

You have just awakened and you have no idea where you are or what is going on except you are wearing Empire Issue armor and you are aboard a drop ship with seven seconds to drop. As you are about to ask what the blast is going on, the drop ship lands and you are shoved out with the rest of the garrison as your ship takes off and explodes under fire. You must accomplish your mission (after you figure out what it is) in no more than 5,000 words. The only other parameter: the story must end with the words, "I've got a bad feeling about this." The only clue you have about your mission is a plasteel case that is cuffed to your wrist.

When you're done, just post it in the appropriate (Beyond, Saga, Before) forum with the words Amnesia Challenge in the title. Then pop in here and legally post the link to your challenge submission. Just make sure to let us know it's a challenge submission. And in the spirit of the GWG, participants are awarded 1,000 points just like the comedy skit show, "Who's Line Is It Anyway?" where everything's made up and the points don't matter anyway. :)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Dashren2001

Jan 20, 2008
    Holy hell. I don't know you, but you have my thoughts.

Done and done. Consent and PMs, that's a good new system.

18. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003

Dang, sorry about your dad. As for linking stories, I explained above that we are allowed to link to stories ONLY when they are challenges, which is what the GWG was mostly about anyway. So it works out.

19. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Hello there. I'm a man, whose main original character is a woman—a woman who, as well as being a lifelong soldier-turned-Jedi, has a not insignificant streak of female chauvinism.

Does this make me weird? ;)

SkalenFehl likes this.
  20. Dashren2001

Jan 20, 2008

Oh yeah, that is very different than a prompt. Thanks, I'll rework my idea and post it later.

21. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003

I have no idea what you just said.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  22. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Cool! Oh, I should note that we always only did one challenge per month so since November is almost over, feel free to participate in the aforementioned Amnesia Challenge or not. Then in December, as we seem to be growing in number, we'll decide on an official challenge, which was usually selected from a list of suggested ideas from all the dudes in here.

Dashren2001 likes this.
  23. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    LOL!

Basically what I'm saying is that while she is quite the professional and believes in the meritocracy of the Republic Military, she does tend to trust other female soldiers and officers just a little more readily than males. She doesn't distrust men, she just wants them to work that much harder to prove themselves in her eyes.

SkalenFehl likes this.
  24. Dashren2001

Jan 20, 2008

I like what I'm hearing but I'm a little confused. Is she chauvinistic towards men or women, or the immesnely better option, both?

25. Dashren2001

Jan 20, 2008

I could see that working for an elite female trooper in the Imperial ranks (one of the few), who eventually got tired of the harassment and bull**** and joined the Alliance to find plenty of fellow female soldiers there.

Edit: Also, it sounds like you're going to be a big fan of Phasma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.