main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gentlemen's Writing Guild

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SkalenFehl, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Towards men. As I said, she's a meritocrat, but in her experience (most) women tend to have just a little bit more merit, or else work that much harder without prompting, than males. There are exceptions, of course, one rather glaring one in fact, but she gets redeemed in the end. In another story, she basically tells Luke Skywalker that because of this sentiment, she has a bit more in common with Natasi Daala than she's entirely comfortable with. ;)

Edit: She's a member of the Republic Marines, actually, from the era of the Old Sith Wars.

2. Dashren2001

Dashren2001 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 20, 2008

To be honest, that sounds like a very valid point of view (not nessiscarily correct, but valid considering what this soldier may have seen). I'm not sure it's something someone needs to be "redeemed" from.

3. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    It isn't she herself who gets "redeemed" but rather the exception I mention, another woman and fellow Marine who doesn't measure up.

Dashren2001 likes this.
  4. Dashren2001

Dashren2001 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 20, 2008

Ooooooh, in that case I'm interested. Is this a story you've posted in tfn already?

5. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    *pokes head in*

*immediately gets bitten by a plot bunny*

*exits, limping and cursing*

Ewok Poet, Exeter and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yes, just about the whole series has been posted here on TF.N. See the link in my signature for the full list. :)

7. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

lazykbys??

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I've got 3-4 fics on the go at the moment, two of which I have a good feeling about.

This Amnesia idea seems a bit of a heavy one; I might leave it, unless an concept strikes.

9. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    It's all good. It's not an official challenge anyway, and I figure 5,000 word max is easy. If you're very creative and clever, you can get it done in a few hundred words. GWG challenges are typically brief and easy because short attention spans and stuff. But creativity is emphasized and highly encouraged.

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Speak for yourself about short attention spans, mate. ;) I've been known to write the first draft of a forty-five thousand word novel in a month...but no, it wasn't for that national novel writing thing.

SkalenFehl likes this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Can we still talk about our fics as long as we don't provide links?

12. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003

That's totally fine with me. If it was up to me pretty much anything would go.

13. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Sounds like you could breeze through this challenge in just over three days, then! :-B

14. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Possibly, if I was in a writing mood.

Sadly, since I've been on a modeling kick for the last week or so at least, working on a plane that I really want to get done (a 1/32 scale P-47D), that's asking rather a lot. Sorry old boy, but I'll be giving this one a miss. :)

Exeter and SkalenFehl like this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    My main fan fiction project is to create background material for a roleplaying npc (non-player character) that I have been raising in prominence over the two games of the Star Wars: Intervention series.

[​IMG]

Mary Formal, the woman on the right, is an Arcateenian shapeshifter, a one-shot villain in the Torchwood episode, 'Greeks Bearing Gifts', and I have introduced her into the Star Wars universe.

To create her pre-Torchwood history on Earth, I have decided to insert her into the environment and timeline of author Brian Lumley's Necroscope series of books. Psi-Talented British secret service agents versus vampires from a parallel world.

The other woman in the pic, Liz Merrick, actually is one of Lumley's characters in the books.

Exeter likes this.
  16. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Ooohhh...P-47! They're bad ass! My girlfriend and I made one in college...totally can't remember the scale. it was big enough to use as a model for my 'flight maneuvers' class, though.

So...I didn't even know this thread existed, and thought I'd stick my head in.

SkalenFehl and Exeter like this.
  17. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Welcome, SiouxFan! This is an easy going place. Things around here are laid back. Snap your fingers like so and recliners appear, the big screen TV kicks on and the fridge is restocked. We have had some really awesome monthly challenges in the past, but that was a long time ago and things just aren't the same. Maybe we can make it better. We'll see.

SiouxFan likes this.
  18. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

I've got so many things on my backlog that it isn't even funny.

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    [face_plain] Decent enough update to my next Mary Formal chapter, 525 words. Not progressed far enough to post though, which is passively frustrating.

Giving some thought to what can be done with the Amnesia story. Sounds well complicated compared to what I'm used to on here, last few months. Other challenges give you a phrase, a word, essentially the world is your oyster, but this thing almost guarantees you are in for some serious wordage just to get through it.

You cannot even roll with your character's normal behaviours, cos they don't even know who they are!

20. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    That is the beauty of a challenge. It challenges your creativity. Sometimes it's fun just to come up with something random, maybe inspired from a recent event in your life. The goal is not to write a masterpiece, though it does happen. The goal is simply to exercise your creativity. Your writing style will already be manifest.

Since there are only nine days left, 5,000 words is a tall order. This challenge is a one shot vignette anyway, so definitely feel free to reduce it as much as you want. It can be 500 words or 2,000. Sometimes you get started and BAM, the story starts to write itself.

21. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Hmmm....I'll have to pass on this month and try the next one...

Diggin' the big screen!

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Mm. I am getting the kernel of an idea.

23. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    I started rereading the old posts from page one. Man, we had some fun times. Cheesy good fun. I've noticed that things moved a lot faster back then, too. Even the stories dropped down many pages per day in each fic forum. I mostly stayed in the Saga. Nowadays, your updated fic can stay on page one for at least a day or two. Guess this place has really slowed down lots.

I might also have an idea for this challenge. Might go the humor route. Not sure how long it will be, though, but I'm going to try and have some fun with it.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Amnesia piece initiated.

No idea how far I will get. So, if we don't complete. we just forget about it, or can we link to whatever was created?

25. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Here's my entry for the Amnesia Challenge:
    Need to Know

Oh, BTW SkalenFehl - I am the User Formerly Known As Lazykbys. I got rid of the extra, misspelling-inducing letters and added a space after the Move. It's nice to see this place up and running again. :)

Exeter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.