main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: The Old Republic Discussion Thread [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. hdridernate

hdridernate Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    Love this game! Can't wait for the expansion!
    It's gonna be hard jumping back and forth between Battlefront & SWTOR ...
    MY LIFE WILL BE CONSUMED!

StarWarsFreak93 likes this.
  2. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    Expansion is out... should only take a good 6 to 8 hours to run through it. I'm on Chapter 5 about 3 hours in.

3. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Yeah, length depends on if you actually watch all the cutscenes, really - worth it, imo, not just for story but to appreciate the cinematography. Lots of grinding after chapter 9 though, waiting for the Rakghoul event to start to recruit... someone... and trying to get my alliances up to level 20 (maxed out) on my main. I'm at level 13 on each so I'm getting there.

And yeah I was under the impression the missing Warrior mission was happening to everyone, someone claimed it happened on a post-4.0 SW. Good to know. Going to focus on my agent and hunter first, I think. Rerolled my favourite agent after messing up epically in KotFE, luckily levelling is ridiculously fast now.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

4. Joseon194

Joseon194 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2015
    Do any of you guys think that KotFE is gonna be the last story expansion? I have a feeling the 20 something odd chapters left will lead to an eventual confrontation with Valkorion whether it be physically or spiritually.

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Yeah, I doubt there will be another story expansion, if only because this one will last so long. 1 chapter per month with 7 left of the announced chapters brings us to next fall, and I figure there will be more chapters than that. Got at least 2 more years for this expansion probably, going to take a while to wrap this up especially with the slow release of story. I do expect more non-story expansions like GSF and Strongholds were.

However depending on how the game is still doing financially at that point they may decide to continue. I mean even last year when SoR launched something the scale of KotFE seemed impossible. I guess never say never?

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

6. Thomo93

Thomo93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015

Story of my life atm lol :p

StarWarsFreak93 likes this.
  7. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Same here. :p

Thomo93 likes this.
  8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Recently got back into this. Gave up on F2P and went for a thirty day subscription and find it a lot better. Got my Jedi Knight up to level 28 so far. Still on Chapter One of the main story, about to go and get a defector from some asteroid. Hoping there's some more legs in this game as my time on Star Trek Online has dried up and it's nice to have an MMO sitting there ready to play.

9. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I got a subscription and was actually really enjoying the game.... until the 9 hour updates kicked in. How can "reorganizing data" take so long?!

More proof that deciding to make this an MMO was a terrible idea. In fact, many of the MMO elements in the game are terribly distracting immersion breakers. For example, you see people running around with the exact same companions performing the exact same missions as you. Sometimes you have to even politely wait for them to finish the objective before you get your turn.

10. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Any idea how much of the game I've got left story wise? Just about to head to Dromund Kaas to confront the Emperor in Chapter 3. I'm a subscriber so I have access to the three expansions as well.

11. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    You have at least 4 more days of storyline to go through, assuming you do no side quests and assuming you eat and sleep.

TheBBP likes this.
  12. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm looking for a new game, since I'm recovering from an injury. Hand injuries suck and I have to rest it every other day. There's not much I can do those days, so I'm looking to do something. I started out with Star Trek Online, which isn't going well at all. Too much time spent trying to figure out how it works. Its just not fun anymore. I just have a few questions about TOR.

Is it as painful to learn to play as STO is? I've spent 90% of my time online trying to figure out how things work or managing my inventory, and about 10% of the time actually playing. I'm all for hard work and figuring things out for myself, but this is just ridiculous. It seems to have a lot of extremely complicated features without any tutorial.

TOR is PC only, correct? Can it be played with just one hand?

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    You should be able to manage with one hand fine. There's some combat, but basically the movement keys and default action buttons (w-a-s-d and then 1-2-3-4-etc.) are pretty close together. Nothing like STO's... what was it, starship battles, where you constantly had to keep maneuvering and trying to fire off broadsides and all that. I dabbled with that game years ago but gave up on it (ground combat was a pain, and not sure but I expect the free-to-play monetization has only gotten worse).

Actually, after you get a companion and raise their affection level a bit, they can kind of take over most regular combat as is. And SWTOR should still have a double XP bonus running until next week I think. I gave up on swtor due to these really stupid changes they made to the endgame gearing system, but the original eight class stories are still a fun time, though not too sure about how bad the free-to-play restrictions are.

TheBBP likes this.
  14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I've tried to enjoy the better elements of this game but the MMO genre is just so inherently bad. Grinding, fetch quests, excessive menus, fragmented story, bad graphics/character models, and even the multiplayer itself (seeing other players with identical companions completing the exact same task is more immersion-breaking than not, especially when you have to politely wait your turn for enemies to respawn).

The only lasting takeaway is the KOTOR game(s) that could have been made with its budget (and don't even start with the bs PR line, "this is KOTOR 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7!". It only shares the name and occasional lore nods. It's from a different era and genre)

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    The game can honestly be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. It would be a touch tricky playing one-handed but it could be done. I'd pick an easy class like Commando/Mercenary or Sage/Sorcerer. If you do try and end up on Ebon Hawk, look up Crosswire and I can help you out some.

Aye, and if you like side quests (I recommend doing the World Arcs and other side quests at least once), You have a BUNCH of content left to go. After that you can play through class stories and forget the side quests. There is a TON of content to be had.

16. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Ew. I tried doing all side quests when I first started out but it just go so boring. I eventually said **** it and did the main quests only.

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I'm a Trooper, level 17 and still on Coruscant. When I go to vendors practically no armor is available. Is that normal? Can you only buy armor later in the game?

18. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Just do the Heroics on Coruscant and you'll get great gear that's better than any vendor gear. Go to the fleet, and in the combat area there's the terminal for Heroics. Do some of those for gear.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Thanks! I'm on Taris now but I'll look for Heroics.

20. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    SWTOR is getting a server merge! The new update is coming November, 8th!

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. DarthPunisher

DarthPunisher Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2018
    >>This post and its immediate replies are inserted from a separate thread<<

I am trying to figure out the list of different species you can choose from on KOTOR. I don't have the game yet and was thinking of getting it. the websites that I tried to pull up are currently blocked by the administrators that are at where I work. any help in this would be great thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018
  22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    You mean the species your main character can be?

If yes, and you mean KOTOR and not TOR, you can only play as a human male or female.

If you mean TOR, it's Humans, Cyborgs, Chiss, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki, Sith pureblood, Twi'lek, Zabrak, Cathar and Togruta. Though not all are available to both sides or all classes, and Cathar and Togruta aren't available right away-

23. DarthPunisher

DarthPunisher Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2018
    ok I needed to be more specific I meant TOR and thank you. I take it they all have their pros and cons?

24. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Each of the species has a social ability of some kind, marginally useful maybe for roleplaying purposes if even for that. Nothing in the way of +stat or anything like that.

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I've posted this in Lit but maybe I'll have some better luck here:

Does anyone know of a good article online that gives a general overview of in-game transactions and markets in Galaxies and TOR? Especially the sort of player-made products and customization market that existed in the former? (Or in TOR also, if that's a thing in it too?)