main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Premiere - Regal Continental 10, Friday Dec 18

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by nnaydolem, Sep 10, 2015.

1. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    Two Sphero BB-8's for our DRAWING are on the way!

2. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Hoping today!

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    he-guy and nnaydolem like this.
  4. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Thanks Grimby!!!!!!

5. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008

Name added. We're going to dinner in the middle so we didn't sign up for 6-8.

nnaydolem likes this.
  6. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    HE IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!

So question for everyone...

What do folks think we should we do the DRAWING? Present to win? Name and phone number? How much? etc, etc...Nothing is set in stone, wanted to get the group opinion first.

[​IMG]

QueenHighMistress likes this.
  7. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    I think $2 a ticket with no limits on tickets purchased should be good. Also, if we have someone with a square reader or another method of inputting CC or PayPal information, we won't miss out on people that say "I don't have any cash".

8. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    More goodies for our DRAWING and a really nice letter to us from the Denver Brass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

QueenHighMistress likes this.
  9. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I think that the credit card issue would be dangerous grounds. Aka in the state of Colorado you cannot use a credit card to buy a lottery ticket. I think that to stay above reproach we should stay away from the cards, to avoid ANY type of questioning, etc, etc. Personally, I am not comfortable with that route & do not want that responsibility.

I will ask Urban Peak their thoughts

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It really just comes down to what sort of confirmation we can get about the legal aspect. Is running a drawing for charity illegal on grounds that it's gambling? Does accepting donations via credit card somehow change things? I'm not so sure that it would, but it'd be nice if we could get a confirmation either way.

11. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Good to know

12. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Tickets have been purchased for FanForced, he-guy, and myself for TFA in 3-D at the 10:00 pm showing.

13. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    chatted with UP...they do have an account for . It will basically depend on who is able to come, only certain staff members have access to their account. UP will not know until the week before the event, who is coming, so basically we will have to wait and see.

so as long as UP send someone with access to their account, then yes, we can take cards, otherwise we are a cash only drawing.

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    You left out the bit of info that for whatever reason only the charity itself is allowed to accept credit card transactions for donations, which means they would have to be present at the event in order for us to accept credit cards. So if they can't make it, we will only be taking cash.

15. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I have Paypal card readers but there's fees involved and a touching situation when someone else besides the charity is taking the money. For MAW we have someone there from the charity that runs the cards and that way it's 100% legit.

We could do $3 a ticket or 2 for $5? Or $5, it is for charity after all and these are great prizes. Also we will take donations for the GSA, no set fee, just something would be nice. Would be nice to reach the $1,000 mark so nnay's company will match it.

nnaydolem likes this.
  16. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    i like that...2 for 5, there are a couple of really nice prizes. I won't be able to be at the dinner on saturday...he-guy LMK what comes of the discussion. :)

17. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I like $3 each or 2 for $5. Are we giving away both BB-8's for this event?

18. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Sphero donated the BB-8's with the intent of using them for this event, in a show of good faith and to facilitate future dealings with the company as i will be provided them with the winners names, etc, etc.

19. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Shouldn't the charity organization be taking the money in any form, whether it's paying for tickets or donations? Can we set something up like what we do at the Make-A-Wish Auction? How about a silent auction for these two BB8's instead of tickets? Winner must be present sort of thing. These are really hard to get so I think someone would pay high price for them. Starting bid $200 each for charity. Other items we can do the same thing with different starting bids. Why sell tickets when we can auction them off for a high price? Just a thought.

20. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    I honesty think we will get quite a bit more money if we do an auction. Sure you might have one or two people will to spend high dollar for a charity. But since we are only doing cash I would imagine someone won't be bringing $200+ dollars to a movie. However quite a few more people will be like I have an extra $10, I might get a sweet prize, if not oh well it goes to a charity. You will probably end up with quite a bit more money.

21. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    I can't seem to edit my own post...

I meant don't do an auction....

he-guy likes this.
  22. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Alright folks, we're looking at a short 18+ days until the event. Would anyone be up for making some nice professional looking" signs for the table, green screen and walking around the theater?

Some of the verbiage it would be nice to have printed nicely in signage:

"All proceeds going to Urban Peak"
    "Free pictures"
    "Free pictures with characters"
    "Donations Welcome"
    "Cash Only Drawing, Tickets $3 or 2/$5"
    Etc..

These could be very simple, or some off-shoot of Cory's excellent flyer. We're still waiting to hear whether we can officially "solicit" to movie goers waiting in lines to increase awareness rather than just rely on patrons approaching the table.

Thoughts? Volunteers?

23. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I know nnay has been busy making a costume but I also suggested some signs and how to run the 'drawing'. For 10+ years there's been a group at SF that has great prizes and you buy tickets and put your ticket in a bag in front of the item you want to win. I wonder if that's how they get away with the 'gambling' standards.

Someone needs to know something about these laws and guidelines. Anybody?

24. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Hey Kim...i did chat with Dale about this early last week. I think it is a great idea. when i chatted with UP i think as long as we call it a drawing we are good. I can check with Starfest and see what they have done in the past. I am going to be out of pocket for about a week. I have to go out of town for a business trip and will be knee deep in things until the wee hours of the night starting Thursdays thru the 7th. I know it isn't the best timing, but work is work. If folks could step up and make the signs, that will be great. I will not be able to.

Everything else at this point is good to go.

25. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    We had some discussions on what to do with the first and second BB-8's at the last meeting. The options we discussed:
    1. Raffle them both in the same drawing and pick two numbers.
    2. Have one overall drawing where attendance is not mandatory, and one just for the 7:00 pm showing that would be live before the movie starts.
    3. Have one drawing early in the day, and one later in the day.
    There might have been some other ideas, but that is what I remember. Any thoughts?