main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Xenoblade Chronicles [1, X, 2 & 3]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Ben, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    With just over 2 weeks to go until it gets a western release, time to get the thread active.

Xenoblade Chronicles was one of the last and best games for the Wii. It also was one of the smartest JRPGs seen in some time. A pity then that few got to play it, a pity that Nintendo has since remedied by making it available on Wii U via the eShop.

I racked up over 100 hours on that game, the sequel's game world? 5 times the size. And, if it's anything like its predecessor, it'll be packed with much to find and avoid the trap of big empty spaces that can befall open world games.

To rack up anticipation, Ninty is releasing a 5-part Survival Guide - short version? However big you thought the game was, it's a whole lot larger, take a look:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Part 4:

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For those buying the disc of Xenoblade Chronicles X:

The 4 data packs that boost the game can now be downloaded from the eShop.

Go to the game and then click on View Add-on Content. Select the first one and say you own the game to start downloading.

Once the first one is done, you can grab the other 3.

You will need around 8-10 GB of space for this.

Also - the first game is on offer - half-price! So £8.99 for the UK.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    At last! It has begun!

First, if you've downloaded all 10GB of data packs, allow 4-5 mins for it to register and install - which for most games these days is bloody fast.

Second, the world reveal sequence is stunning and easily matches the likes of Skyrim and Witcher and Fallout 4. I'd say it gets the edge even due to world and creature design!

Only done some combat so far, haven't got to the city - it's just on the horizon.

The Wii U isn't on the same tech level as PS4 / XB1 and it shows to a degree, but in other respects the sheer design more than makes up for it. It looks incredible.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It helps a lot that they were able to build it from the ground up for the platform - when you don't have to worry about working on other systems, you can usually eke a bit more out of the platform of choice. Monolith Soft was able to pull off some technically impressive stuff on their PS2 exclusives as well.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've ended up with a guy who sounds like NCIS' Mike Franks - and is racking up a body count to match!

EDIT: If you ever wanted to try to claim you needed a bigger TV to play games on, this is the game to base that claim on. There's a lot of text and it's not that easy to read on a 32".

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Come on, I can't be the only one playing this?

In any case, just done the first Tyrant fight - the thing was huge.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Seriously, this was it:

[​IMG]

9. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I've been playing it some. I haven't played any Xenoblade games before, and it's not the kind of stuff I usually play, but I wanted to try something different. There's so much in this game to keep track of. Still haven't completely grasped how battle works...

Yeah, my experiences would probably sound very noobish. lol

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not at all. It's a deep game and you're not supposed to just get everything at once. Give it and yourself time to get the hang of it.

Would suggest grabbing the first one from the eShop if it's still 50% off, it's a steal at that price! The two games are entirely separate though and very different.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I have explored .... 8.2% of just the first continent !? Well, damn.

Yeah, this game is sofa king massive all right. But what impresses is it's always active, wherever you are, there will be a ton of creatures around of, ranging from docile to most definitely hostile. Weaving a path through a region of monsters that can kill you with ease, if they see you, requires great attention to your environment but is very satisfying when pulled off. In this respect, it really is like nothing else and the world looks unique too. At the same time they've designed the topography so that after a while certain patterns do look familiar and probes act as navigation points.
    Put in a few data probes too, unlocked new equipment ranges from arms manufacturers, done a couple of missions and taken on a handle of bounty quests too. Found you can upgrade equipment too, as well as Arts - there's no shortage of depth here.

What is most impressive is something mostly absent from video games - a sense of fair play. Yes, it will kill you. It will drop enemies on you that are 4x your level and they one-shot you to death, but it just warps you back to your last probe point. It doesn't punish the player for exploration or high-risk actions - I took full advantage of this to swipe a communicator, right in front of a lv 36 beastie, I immediately died, was warped out and still had it! I can't think of any other games that do this.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, as I'm the only one playing this here....

Made it to Noctilum today and it's a masterpiece of gameworld design that really overshadows the first region, which was no slouch either.

13. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    Oh, but you are not alone! :)

I have played Xenoblade Chronicles X on and off since last Christmas, and I'm really enjoying myself! I'm only at chapter 5 (or is it 6 now?) since I tend to get lost just exploring the vast environments of the game. It's wonderful how there always seems to be something new to see or discover!

- And I agree, Noctilum is really a beautiful area. Such lush colors!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You'll like this story then:

Working my way through Noctilum last nightand my wife asks if I'll get to the destination - I show her that we've barely covered 1 hexagon of the map and there's 4-5 still to go. The scale's insane.

I'm only on Chapter 4.

Part of why I haven't played it as much is it's quite demanding in its battle system, have to be up to handling that - when it works well, it's very smart, but you do have to be on your toes.

Jedimaster_Darklight likes this.
  15. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    Haha, it sounds all too familiar! The first few hexagons of the Noctilum-map is quite dangerous, too, if you don't tread carefully!

I also understand what you mean in regards to the battle system. The most confusing aspect for me right now is the vast potential of the Classes, Arts and Attributes... it seems there's so many things to consider for my characters that I don't really know where to begin. But I love the genre, and I enjoy the game very much.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Great showcase for the Wii U too.

But yeah, it's a very deep pool with the classes, arts, skills, probe types, arms manufacturers, gear upgrades - it's huge.

Jedimaster_Darklight likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, I've today gone and given the planet Mira a damn good probing!

So phrased, that sounds so dodgy, but I have installed many data probes, across 3 continents no less, some of which I have linked up, to generate much riches! Too bad there isn't a 'screw saving the world, sit back and enjoy vast amounts of cash, by your swiming pool at your mansion' option.

I've unlocked a huge amount of Oblivia, Noctilum and Sylvarum and would have opened up Cauldros if the game hadn't resorted to a barricade of hostile level 38 enemies in the entry corridor! The world and creature design remains unique and inspired, many games promise to show you something new but this really delivers for those two respects.

Which renders it a shame that its optional 'missions' boil down to either collect X of Y, with no clue as to where it is except the continent and they ain't small, or go and kill X of Y creature. The bigger problem is once you accept one you can't drop it, it's complete it or die! Which would be OK, if the star rating gave you an accurate sense of what you need to be - as it is I have 3 kill quests I can't yet do because the enemies are 27, 29 and 35 and I've just hit Level 23.
    I'm now imagining a game combining XCX's world design with Witcher 3's quest structures and writing - it'd be fantastic.

I'm not really a stealth fan either but one aspect of the series that works is it allows you to infiltrate places, weaving past creatures and enemies that can - if they see you one-shot your entire party is great, but it only works because the only penalty you pay for getting caught is death + warp to last landmark - that's all, so by being fair the game encourages you to take risks! So I swiped a treasure chest behind a Level 36 gorilla and then legged it!
    The game isn't above playing dirty pool either - the space ahead might look clear, you go into it and a hostile level 55 Tyrant super-bastard emerges from the ground! Well, as Clay Davis would put it, sheeit! You can, sometimes, escape by running fast - this is a game where the Rincewind strategy is essential.

As is being aware of your environment and noticing who else might join in your initial private punch-up! You may be able to take that Level 23 enemy, but what if it's friends also join in? Be prepared to do a tactical retreat. Equally, this is one of the few games where enemy size plays a role - you took out a normal size Level 20, so you can do the same on a bigger Level 20, right? It's the same level so it should be the same, right? Nope, you may well get a kicking instead of delivering one - a Level 8 Cinicula I could only really take out at Level 18 because it's one of the ****ing massive beasties.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I picked up the SE for this back when it came out. I made a character (that took about an hour, I'm so picky) and only managed to play my way up to the title screen.

Then the holidays happened. And a tough semester. Haven't had enough free time to really throw a good play session at this thing yet, despite the investment I made for it (external drive, SE set, etc). Hoping to at least give it some game time love next month after my summer class is over before the fall semester kikcs in.

Worst case scenario? I'll have plenty to play after the holidays before the NX hits since the fall will be my last semester. Of course, I'll probably have forgotten everything the tutorial taught me by then...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be honest Quest I'm still working this game out many hours in, having got back to it with a vengeance.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    From my brief experience with it, it was a little odd that there these huge creatures in the world but I couldn't interact with them- they didn't have any physicality to them so you could just walk through them. Kinda breaks the immersion a little.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, that's likely one of the hardware limits.

Although, I can see a reason for it being to avoid pissing players by delivering instant game overs due to a flying elephant landing on them out of nowhere.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Another factor might be to avoid them blocking the terrain/narrower passages. However, I can see it being a performance issue too- giving something physics/a solid collision mesh is more taxing on system resources even in something like Unity (not that XCX is anything near a Unity game). Sill, limited application of it would have been nice- if only for the giant beasties.

I'm just saying, pulling a Fred Flinstone down the neck of the water grazzers into my waiting Skell would have been pretty sweet.;)

[​IMG]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh.... Of course, if it turns out to be a hostile Millesaur - yes there are a couple - you're lunch!

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I have a Skell.

Despite having a what is practically a customisable Transformer being given is so damn cool, XCX does its level best to
    shoot itself in the head over it.

It does this by telling you to go register your Skell, but doesn't tell you that the registration is already done for this first one. So you go and do what it tells you and the Skell vanishes!

It then compounds this by being less than clear as to how you get your Skell into the field - turns out it warps with you wherever you go. Well, I think it does.

Once you've got past these self-inflicted hurdles, however.... It. Is. Cool. You can customise the colours, tinker with the weapon loads, upgrade the weapons and armour - and the weapons are pretty nuts. You get to jump higher, transform into a vehicle that can go across water easily.

Nor would it feel special if XCX gave you the Skell from the start. Nope, the Skell is your reward for getting halfway through the game. (Later you get a flight ability as well.)

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  25. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    So something just happened in my playthrough that kinda...raised a few eyebrows from me.

During the "A Concerned Citizen" quest, you have the choice to watch or intervene as homicidal xenophobe Alex prepares to execute some Ma-non. I saved before doing it to see what happens if you let him go through with it, and a heart appeared above Elma's head each time I let a Ma-non get slaughtered. Surely that's just a mistake on the part of the developers...right? :p