main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Other Galaxies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, Dec 14, 2015.

?

Would you want other galaxies explored?

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

38.9%
  3. If we still get same content from the Galaxy we're in

16.7%
  4. Maybe

19.4%
  5. Only a bit.

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    Do you think or even want Star Wars to explore other galaxies?
    I mean it'd be nice to see how the force is seen or works in other galaxies, or even if it's outside of the galaxy. Yoda says it binds the galaxy together...what about the other galaxies? Is the force universal?

What if there's something else out there?

It'd be nice to explore. It's kind of an idea I had with episode VII beign announced, like why can't we leave it at it's end and just explore a new galaxy? I love episode VII and am now happy we have it in the same galaxy but as food for thought, what do you guys and girls think of explore a new galaxy(s)?

DO you want it or think it has a chance of happening?

B99 likes this.
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Maybe,,, or maybe in a spin off..

3. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Maybe. The closest we got to another galaxy was in TCW when they woundered if they were even in their own Galaxy. But that wasn't confirmation.

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    U talking about Mortis?

5. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
  6. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Let's not bring up that arc again, please.

7. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    I wonder why you don't like that arc, I mean it EASILY has room for much improvement, but what makes it so bad? Care to go to the clone wars thread and discuss it cause I'm rather curious. You aren't the first person who said they dislike that arc this week.

8. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Get over it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but it most likely won't be anytime soon.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I voted no.

Although the idea is intriguing, and could bring up some interesting ideas (Yuuzhan Vong comes to mind, for example), but IMO the SW galaxy as we know it is already SO vast and versatile I would rather see more of this galaxy-whether it connects with previously known characters/stories or not.

I also wonder if introducing a whole new galaxy would only serve to muddle the entire thing, creating so wide and huge of a universe it goes from being entertaining to just...overwhelming...[face_thinking] I'd be okay seeing one specific race from another galaxy, or seeing one group of characters go to another galaxy-something like that, but I still feel there's SO much still to discover/learn from this GFFA.

11. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Very good points, I kinda wounder about the entire Star Wars universe, not just the one galaxy, but it might be best to leave it to our imagination.

12. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Agreed.

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What if Snoke is from another galaxy and brings the rest of his kin in EpVIII?

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No thanks.
    Unknown regions or Wild Space or something, absolutely. But not extra-galactical.

The GFFA is big enough.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  15. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    well thats what the expanded universe is for

16. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    interestingly, i am somewhat surprised that other galaxies hasn't been explored yet in the Star Wars films. Yes, it is "Star Wars" so the focus is on space battles and such, but apparently, there hasn't been a leader wondering about "we choose to go to another galaxy in this decade and do the other things." The technology in Star Wars is already fairly advanced with hyperspace and artificial gravity, so it must has crossed somebody's mind to travel to, or at least think about, another galaxy. Also, it wouldn't the first time that extra-dimensional (or extra-galactical) species has wondered in to a sci-fi movie series, so I wouldn't be surprised if some other galaxy may be referenced in the next few Star Wars films, either the direct sequels or in the anthology films.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe there was a leader who chose to do it because it was hard. Maybe they did it and it worked. Maybe it was just so far to the next galaxy that there is no practical reason to go again, and no interesting stories to tell about the voyage. "We spent 20 years in hyperspace and when we arrived it was just another galaxy with more stars and planets like ours, so we turned around and spent 20 years coming back."

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "A long time ago in another galaxy far, far away...."
    "A long time ago in a galaxy far away...."
    "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, far away...."
    "A long time ago in this galaxy...."

-None of them really have a nice ring to them.

19. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Going from a quote in ESB by an Imperial officer, the MF goes to hyperspace and an officer says 'they could be on the other side of the galaxy by now'. Relatedly, in ANH Han said he'd been from one side of the galaxy to the other. (This was presented as a credential or singular achievement, not as a routine.) So if GFFA can be crossed by a 747-sized vessel in a matter of minutes or hours, and if Andromeda is 2.5 million lightyears away and 220,000 lightyears across, then the equivalent travel time for that 747 sized vessel to get from Andromeda to here, all other things being equal, would be 'a matter of minutes or hours' * 2.5 million lightyears / 220,000 lightyears = 'a matter of minutes or hours' * ~10. Between 10 minutes and 10 hours.

20. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013

I think that might be taking those statements too literally. The best evidence for time would be the time it took for them to jump from Tantooine to Alderaan. Based on what is shown there that trip probably took 10 to 20 minutes. I do not know how far apart those two planets are, but I think that would be the best starting point for how long interstellar travel takes. I would guess that would make traveling around the galaxy to be about the equivalent of traveling around the US by air. Meaning about a 4 or 5 hour trip to go from one side to the other.

Anyways the biggest obstacle would be fuel. These ships can only hold a limited supply of fuel. We don't really know the rate of consumption. In order to travel between galaxies it would probably be a scenario similar to using rockets to escape planetary gravity, where 90% of the vehicle is just fuel storage. Doing so probably would not be viewed as very economical.

21. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I think there is a wide range of interpretation based on the weight one places on literalness of spoken lines versus weight one places on demonstrated time scales of travel. I would prefer to think that the Imperial officer was using exaggeration or hyperbole or slang or convention or idiomatic expression. One poster made an argument that an officer would not mince words and would speak declaratively, indicatively, factually. Well, maybe. That *does make sense. But another interpretation also makes more sense, which is that travel does in fact require duration, and does find solid foundation in the paradigmatic instance you mention, Tatooine to Alderaan. Which is what I would prefer. {No consensus exists because speaking quantitatively about fantasy, even addressing a cross-sectional slice of fantasy in a confined lab setting with abundant quarantine protocols, is such a threatening or traumatic hair trigger for some.}

You raise a topic I had not seen a need to ponder, fuel mass. The compactness of the hyperdrive seen in TPM, the voluminous unused spaces inside the MF, the general overriding implication that while all ships do use reaction mass and momentum exchange propulsion for real-space maneuvers, they do not necessarily need that while in hyperspace. Maybe you or someone can shed light on that, and how real-space propulsion may or may not be used inside hyperspace. The specific energy of the destructive power of the Death Star, if used solely for transportation, would presumably go a long way. Interesting consideration.

Sarge and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  22. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    Ah, and that is the toughest question of all. We don't really know exactly how hyperspace works. It could be a method of increasing the size of space behind the ship, while decreasing the size of space in front. We can see some evidence that this might be the case at the end of the rathtar scene. If this is the case technically the falcon does not have to use any fuel to move, but it would still need fuel to power the mechanism that expands and contracts space.

Another method could be a wormhole. Based on what has been shown on screen I doubt this one to be likely. This is more or less popping out of space in one place, traveling a shorter distance and popping back into space at your desired location. With this you would have to use fuel to move, but not very much. The majority of energy use would come from actually creating the entrance and exit of the hole.

These are the only two methods I am away of that are theoretically possible for us to cheat the speed of light. Both of which would require massive amounts of energy to pull off.

There is also the possibility of true faster than light travel. We don't really have any idea of what happens if we were to somehow figure out how to travel faster than light. Time might stop, it might start speeding back up, it might go backwards, it might do something we can't even fathom, we simply have no idea. In this case every inch you move you are using some amount of fuel. Then again, without knowing what happens when you travel faster than light maybe everything become infinite, and that drop of fuel you brought with you can never be fully consumed.

23. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I have thought for some time that invoking warp into SW is poaching ST, and invoking stargates or wormholes is poaching space-based moderate hardness military sci-fi, which many around here will hasten to distinguish from SW. In ST I do not recall expressions about 'jumping to warp'. You 'go' to warp factor n. The result is the same but the depiction and the sense is different. The depiction is that the ship itself stretches, whereas with SW it is space that stretches. And in SW you don't 'go' to hyperspace; you 'jump' to hyperspace/lightspeed. So in a crass reductive manner, 'going' is like stepping onto a airport moving walkway to cover some distance, 'jumping' is like jumping over some intervening table to cut some distance. So far SW movie canon doesn't feature a ship 'falling' out of hyperspace due to damage or logistics (running out of gas). My head version of hyperspace is that it is the 5th dimensional interior volume of a hypersphere that lies beneath the 4d surface space time of the hypersphere. (New Planck survey results are commonly cited to claim that the universe is topologically flat to a high degree. The error in the results still allow curvature but it is exceedingly minimal. I.e., it converges to pointless to apply it to SW hyperspace. Wishful fantasy remains.) Also, the (math) curl of the Cherenkov radiation inside hyperspace once gave me the idea that hyperspace has an intrinsic bias that can be exploited through some manner of bracing against a reference frame and letting the hyperspace corridor corkscrew or push the craft along. Something along the lines of a right hand rule, toroidal lines of field and a forward effect. This would then lower total fuel loads. (Shades of the age of sail.)

This all made me want to figure out if there is a decent analogue to the GFFA. After some snooping around in images of (Edwin Hubble tuning fork classification) SA galaxies, spirals that have the largest bulges without being elliptical, it seemed to me that Sombrero Galaxy has some nice, convenient resonances to GFFA. Notice at least some similarities in appearance.
    http://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...-the-end-of-empire-strikes-back-a-real-galaxy
    https://www.eso.org/public/images/eso0007a/

Sarge and Valiowk like this.
  24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    A resounding yes from me. I have always felt that exploring beyond the Galaxy that we are all familiar with in Star Wars would be a great idea. So much that could be explored and made Novels into. I find that it would be awesome to find out that while struggling to return the Jedi Order to the current Galaxy like Luke is trying to do, somewhere even further beyond there is an Order in existence that may not even be aware of things taking place.

Yeah this could set up some serious stories. I would spend loads of my money on that. :D

25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016