main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non spoiler review thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Justrec, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005

YESSSS....moooooore!

Honestly I know I will like it, I loved AOTC and now it's my least favorite of the saga. However, this is the sequel to ROTJ that we thought would never come and it has most of our favorite characters back so I think emotions will come heavily into play in my assessment of the film.

Dak Oolron and JediLight like this.
  2. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    This is a great thread... can get a general feel for the movie without risking yourself on the internet.

Dak Oolron and Gus X like this.
  3. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    I just got confirmation from TWO of my trusted sources who were at the premier last night. All they were not allowed to verbally say anything about the movie (that changes tonight at midnight when the embargo lifts) but they communicated, very enthusiastically: IT'S VERY GOOD!!!

Have no fear, my friends. My sources are rock solid.

I am at peace now and can drop off here until Thursday.

4. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    welcome non-spoiler forum : ). I think I might have seen something in the spoiler forum (I have read it then closed browser) so I will be here from now on.

To your post. One thing to remember is that people are more cynical now. No one thought that after the OT that TPM would be a letdown. However, everyone remembers what happened with the PT and I think will be more critical 1st viewing.

Its like with AOTC. It is better overall than TPM but, because after TPM people were prepared to be disappointed so they prepared themselves that AOTC would not be perfect. Many called out AOTC's fault right from the get go.

Most people felt good that JJ would deliver, but to guard themselves reminded themselves of the past and were prepared to not be burned again.

Dak Oolron, Justrec and Dewback like this.
  5. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    Again no worries here. My sources took all of that into consideration. In fact, they were one of the ones who loved the PT right after only to change their (drastically) opinions later. One of them told me that the PT made him cynical (in general) about films before actually seeing them. One is a video blogger and the other owns an outlet that is recognized as an official Rotten Tomatoes critic. Both told me that their fear was that because of the PT, they would be OVERLY critical of TFA. They were afraid that they would, instead of blindly praising TFA (like they did with TPM, for example) go in the complete opposite direction and be overly critical of it. They did not with TFA.

I agree, it is best to temper expectations, but for me, I trust these guys and I will sleep well tonight and Wednesday.

Dewback likes this.
  6. entourage

entourage Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014

That being said that tweet is kinda (!) spoilery because it takes away the surprise of seeing it whithout expectation. It sometimes takes away from the beauty of it. But as I said.. kinda!! :)

Dak Oolron and Dewback like this.
  7. Dave Hoffman

Dave Hoffman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2012
    That's an excellent point.

My first thoughts when seeing these reviews were: What were the early exit reviews like for TPM? Weren't those also overwhelmingly positive? But yea, I think that after the euphoria wore off and the not-so-rosey memories of the PT settled in for a number of folks, I believe that a lot more people will be going in with more cautious enthusiasm this time. So I'm liking these early opinions :)

Tan-Wessel and Gus X like this.
  8. entourage

Oct 18, 2014
    Another example is Breznicans tweet which is spoiler free but again spoils the emotions to expect. 'you' ll be more... thank you expect and you will.... more than you expect "(see his Twitter for the quote). I hate stuff like that. :)
    I don't want to whiney about this but a friend of mine spoiled some Game of Thrones fun for me saying 'man you'll be so shocked in that episode"... You go in expecting something shocking which makes it less shocking.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. JP_Frost

JP_Frost Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 25, 2004
    The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. Particularly the ones from the Chicago Sun-Times and Time Out New York.

The Guardian posted a spoiler-free review, however it assumes you have seen the trailers and know the character names, so not sure if some you completely unspoiled fans would like to read that.

10. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    So far 99% of positive reviews on rotten tomatoes! ^:)^

EHT likes this.
  11. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    Knowing the movie is good does not spoil anything for me. We expected ESB and ROJ to be good and those movie experiences were great. It was only the PT where some people began to grow fearful about having their expectations "spoiled".

Star Wars movies are supposed to be good. For me that is a given.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Y'know, it IS possible to talk about TFA without prequel-bashing...In fact, I highly recommend it ;)

13. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    97% now on RT. It's going to drop still but I'm hoping it holds steady at 90%.

14. entourage

Oct 18, 2014

I don't mean stuff like "it's good" or something to that nature. I mean a review must have some sort of essence after all :). I just don't like specific expectations like the one Patton Oswald mentioned. Let me experience that for myself.

15. JediLight

May 31, 2001
  16. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    my kind of scum likes this.
  17. JediLight

May 31, 2001

Just take the positive and embrace it.

18. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    If you didn't think this movie was going to be compared to the PT then you're naive. I can guarantee you that 90% of reviews will bring it up.

19. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002
    The metascore is 83 and I always thought that's more representative of a movie's quality that the RT score. (To compare: The Big Short, Creed, Steve Jobs are all at 82, The Martian (my favourite film of the year so far ) is at 80. Other movies at 83 are: Adaptation, Fighter, Avatar, Star Trek (2009), The Lion King, Terminator, Spider-man 2, Vera Drake, Babe, Kill Bill , Trainspotting)

IV 92, V 79, VI 52, I 51, II 54, III 68

(Since I started writing it, it went down to 82)

20. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    82 is very high in this cynical era and it backs up what my sources told me yesterday: TFA rocks...

21. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Am I allowed to post a non-spoiler review? I hope so. There aren't any spoilers here but I'll tag it just in case I'm not allowed:

This is not like a film from the OT. Forget what you've heard along those lines. To the bashers I'll console you by saying it's also not a film from the PT. My point is that this is something new and different.

There are flaws that will be discussed at length. The sort of person that hates the PT is less likely to enjoy this. I went with someone who loathes all three PT films in the worst kind of way; their official reaction was coy and ambivalent yet they had plenty of positive things to say (and is wanting to go again for seconds!)

As for me, I just had a blast and can't wait to see it again. I'll be a better judge of how good this is on the umpteenth viewing.

22. JediLight

May 31, 2001

Yes that's more of a scientific approach on actual quality, but I think a overall positive or negative consensus is good enough for me from RT.

23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Nah, %100..

24. Kajash

May 15, 2002

To be fair, it is the last trilogy to date.

Dewback and B99 like this.
  25. Kajash

May 15, 2002

Peter Bradshaw, the Guardian's major critic loved it, and he's cynical as hell. I didn't want to post the review as there are minor spoilers in it.

Most people loved ROTS at first and I still do, so I have no fears. But it's still great to confirm.

And there's more than 30 hours for me till the premier (I could go to a 'press' screening 5 hours earlier, but I don't want to watch it dubbed the first time (only the 2d print is subtitled here in Hungary))

Wally44 likes this.