main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The imperial march, best masterpiece of the original trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by scrutator, Oct 15, 2015.

1. scrutator

scrutator Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2015
    Many people find the imperial march the best masterpiece of the original soundtrack by Jhonn Williams. I agree with that oppinion and tried to find out why, studing the original melody, and found that this composition is by far much more complicated (in harmony terms) that any other song in the original trilogy achieving that atmosphere of exotic terror generated by the empire and Vader...
    Here is my small fanmade tribute one of the greatest pieces of music of all times, hope you like it! :)

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    If it's not THE best, it's WAY up there!

I'd group it with the best Star Wars themes:
    Yoda's Theme
    The Force Theme
    Princess Leia's Theme

Extending to the prequel trilogy, I'd also include:
    Duel of the Fates
    and Battle of the Heroes

Master_Rebado likes this.
  3. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    In my opinion, not only is it possibly the best music in the OT, but it could possibly be the best music anywhere! :)

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  4. droidfan

droidfan Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2015
    I love The Imperial March...but my heart belongs The Force Theme/Binary Sunset.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I prefer Yoda's theme. It has a very mystical quality to it.

6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The force theme gives me goosebumps. The mystical, yearning vibe that it has. Simply amazing.

7. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    The imperial march is great, though my favorite theme of the OT is the final duel (does it have a different name?). So wonderful

If I'm allowed to post prequel music i also think the trade federation march is great military music.

8. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Leia's News/Light of the Force is way up there for me.

9. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    The Imperial March is a unique piece not only in the SW movies, but film music in general. As a concert suite, it stands as a wonderful militaristic tune- but think of all the different permutations that it is applied for. We not only have usage as a thematic identification for the Empire, but it has been used as melodic application for Darth Vader, Anakin (even Anakin's Theme is a variation of the Imp March), the dark side, the Clone Army, a Vader reference in TFA, and 'who knows what?' in the future. It serves a purpose very much like the Force theme can be applied to the Force, Kenobi, the Skywalker lightsaber, and the Jedi. Beyond that, the Imperial March has been used outside of the films to accompany evil or evil-doers in real life, especially in political propaganda around the world.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    If the question is "which Star Wars theme is the best?" then my answer is the Force theme. It's been my favorite for 30 years and has never been surpassed. Even in the Force Awakens, its uses reinforce its place at the top for me.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Battle of Yavin theme.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Imperial March is awesome and fearsome, but for best masterpiece I'd have to go with the Force theme, and close second would be the main theme.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    There isn't really a theme for the Battle of Yavin. Which musical part do you refer to?

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    All 9 minutes of it.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Ah well that's a track comprised of many themes. I believe the Main theme, the Rebel Fanfare theme, the Force theme... probably others too.

16. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm partial to the fugue. You know, when the X-wings cut across the axis and try to draw fire. It got taken down in the mix. More John Williams, less Ben Burtt should be a proverb" or something.

Actually, my favorite cue using Luke's Theme from the entire saga is in this track when Luke switches off his targeting computer.

Sarge likes this.
  17. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    The Main Theme is the best piece of music in Star Wars. Period. It's more iconic than the Imperial March. Everyone knows what that fanfare is.

In fact, the fact that most concert versions are a really clean amalgamation of multiple themes solidifies the main theme from Star Wars as the single greatest.

Outside of that, it's the Force Theme (not really a piece of music, a la "The Force Theme Suite") and the Imperial March.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree with RDeckard in thinking the Main Titles are even more iconic than the Imperial March. And the Force theme is my personal favorite, but I know that the Imperial March and Main Titles are probably the two "greatest" and most iconic pieces from Star Wars.

19. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    While I like the Imperial March very much I find it somewhat overrated. It just happens to be the piece that ALWAYS comes up in any discussion of SW music. Personally I probably prefer "Princess Leia's Theme", "Yoda's Theme" and the Han and Leia love theme. My least favorite theme in the whole saga is probably the Ewok theme. It's somehow the least SW-sounding music in my personal opinion.

20. J.A. Morris

J.A. Morris Jedi Master

May 6, 2005
    Absolutely the best. When I saw the Symphonic Star Wars tour a few years back, they played it in the middle of the concert. And they played it again at the end, which to my mind is a tribute to its greatness.

Plus, it's shortness is part what makes it so great. Every time I hear it, I wish it was longer, it keeps you wanting more.

21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  22. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
  23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Imperial March is iconic, but you can't beat the main SW theme from the opening crawl. The quality of Williams score is that he has the knack to create music that is instantly recognisable and indelibly associated with Star Wars. He did the same with many of his other scores too, you only have to hear a cue from them and you know its SW, Indy, Jaws, etc etc

24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Probably my favourite version of that theme.

25. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015