main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non spoiler review thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Justrec, Dec 14, 2015.

1. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    A rottentomatoes score of anything over 80% is generally very good.

JediLight likes this.
  2. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    On RT, Revenge of the Sith had 282 total reviews (222 Fresh/60 Rotten)

TFA has 138 total reviews (134 Fresh/4 Rotten) so it's about 50% of the reviews coming in.

3. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
  4. Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2015
    I found a nice review on Slate about the actors' performances. It has some minor spoilers though. It mentions character names, and also some of the things the characters do to describe the quality of the actors' performances. I'm going to post some non-spoiler quotes from the article below.

The Force Awakens Is the First Star Wars Movie Without a Single Bad Performance
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat..._best_acting_of_any_star_wars_movie_ever.html

Mist1024 likes this.
  5. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    Relief. Some of the non-spoiler review from cinemablend:

Dewback likes this.
  6. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Can we post when we've seen it with no spoilers?

Seen it!

Cons: Seen it all before.

Pros: You won't care about that. You just won't.

And no after credits scene. Nice little musical jingle at the end though.

7. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Okay, the RT score is at 96% which is awesome. I think my work here is done. In other words, you won't see me on the forums until I've seen this movie.

Justrec likes this.
  8. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Okay RT definitely trending downwards. 94%. My gut says it will end up the north side of 90 still.

9. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    It was so bad, it was laughable. This will be a day long remembered. Never before in human history has anyone made such a pile of rubbish and called it a film. I cannot even begin to imagine what they were thinking; why would they have thought that anyone would enjoy such trash? I can hardly believe that they had the nerve to release that film, let alone charge money to see it.

[I posted this review at the spoilers allowed forum as well.]

10. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    [​IMG]

94% on the Tomatometer ("Certified Fresh" with 179 reviews) and 81 On Metacritic ("Universal Acclaim" based on 47 Critics).

Trollololol

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    So when are you actually seeing the film

12. Aeneas 1138

May 1, 2014
    I never liked those elitist film critics in the first place. This just confirms that I have better taste than they do, something I already knew.

13. Aeneas 1138

May 1, 2014
    I have seen it (although whether I shall do so again is doubtful) ....

14. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    I saw it tonight.

I love the OT. I like the PT.

The following contains no plot spoilers but does touch on who the lead characters are (but surely they're obvious to most in here anyway) and does give my opinion on more general aspects of the film that you may want to avoid until you've seen it:

The first half of TFA is not Star Wars as I know it. Everything but the setting looked and felt different. The tone was more casual and humourous compared to OT's very straight approach (OT has funny moments, but they're not played for laughs, the delivery is authentic. Some of the 'laughs' in TFA felt like they come from an average rom-com). The leads were being too stereotypically British, like they were just play acting in the Star Wars universe.

But the second half kinda explains why the first half was like it was, and the last 20 minutes feels much more like Star Wars. It's no coincidence that it's this part of the film where the musical score is most recognisable, but the emotional drama the OT has is finally there.

The ending was kinda annoying cos I was desperate for it to continue where it was at least for a couple of minutes, but they've gone for the cliff-hanger approach that made me want Episode 8 to be released tomorrow (or today, given it's now gone 4am in UK). It's just that the scene it ends on is about to be so significant that you just hope episode 8 continued at the exact point TFA finishes, because otherwise we're going to miss something I really want to see/hear.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  15. Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2015
    Well, I just saw it. It's pretty good, but not great.

I loved the new characters, and that's where it stands out most compared especially to the prequels, the actors did a really great job. The chemistry is just right, it's really fun watching the new guys exploring their place in this galaxy. I also liked the basic premise, the way the relationship between old and new characters. There's a lot left to explore there in future movies, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

The story of the movie though, I must admit I'm pretty disappointed there. To put it bluntly, it really is a mashup of Episode 4/ANH. There's just too many elements where they seemed to tick off their checklist, making sure they didn't miss any plot devices from Episode 4.

All in all, I would rate it somewhere between the original trilogy and the prequels. It obviously is a much better movie than any of the prequels, but on a certain level, the prequels also dared to show a much more original story than anything we see in Episode VII. Where the prequels tried to present a new take on the Star Wars Galaxy and spectacularly failed at that, while having an interesting and original plot on paper, Episode VII really doesn't have many original ideas, but shows them in a competent and enjoyable manner.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Everytime I read some review (like the one copied above) where half the so-called review is just going on about how much the PT sucked and how much better TFA is than TPM, I just STOP reading.

Every review I've read (spoiler-free of course) so far has had some jab at the prequels, and basing paragraph after paragraph of their opinion on how much better TFA is than the PT.

:rolleyes:

I'm DONE. I get it: "Keep away from the reviews, Darth Belo!!!" Okay. Got it, life. Message recieved!

I will simply wait until I see TFA for myself and make my own decision since no one else (not you guys here, but reviewers elsewhere) seems to be able to make a simple, un-biased, purely subjective review. :mad:

Jedi Merkurian and Dandelo like this.
  17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Sorry for this double post, but it's too late to edit:

I just want to clarify that my post there is not addressing any of you here. I'm referring simply to reviews I've seen elsewhere, like online or on FB. Just wanted ya'll to know I respect ya'lls opinions on here way more! [face_peace]

18. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

pretty much what I figured. I haven't seen the movie yet myself, but J.J. Abrams, while he puts out some entertaining movies, isn't one who usually goes in deep. He is very similar to Stephen Spielberg or George Lucas when they were younger, focusing on films that would be fun to watch, but isn't very substantial. Later Spielberg would tackle more serious subject matter, as George Lucas would also attempt with the Star Wars prequels.

Still, I am (somewhat ?) happy to see my suspicion verified in the slate.com review posted above, in which this is a more "polished" version of Star Wars with competent and decent acting.

19. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    Seen it, the force is strong with this movie

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    My non-spoler review: I loved it

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  21. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    F-ing EPIC! WOW...it was amazing!

B99 likes this.
  22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Was [Episode VII] in the crawl?

Don't thnk that's a spoiler.

23. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    I might see it tomorrow, plans haven't been finalized yet. General feel I'm getting is better than the prequels, fun and exciting with some good acting performances, but the plot is thin and stale.

That was also my expectation heading into this film, that it would be OT > TFA > PT, but I will wait until I see the movie for myself.

25. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Eeeehhh...