main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Resources [UPDATED]New Aurebesh Font

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Tycho_Ordo, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Tycho_Ordo

Tycho_Ordo Jedi Padawan

Jan 11, 2012
    I am not sure whether this is the correct section for this, if not please move it to the correct one.

UPDATE: Fixed the Versions with the inversed capitals

I made this font over a year ago, but I never posted it here, because of the forum issues back then.

It is just another fan made Aurebesh font, but it has a few differences to any other Aurebesh font available before this one.

This is the first (fan made) Aurebesh font which covers the full ASCII Code, meaning it will display most English text correctly without missing characters and incomprehensible symbols like a Tie Fighter or the Alliance Starbird for brackets or special characters.

Secondly it is the first (fan made) Aurebesh font which is in OTF format (compatible with all mayor Operating Systems) and uses ligatures.

This means the double characters(TH SH OO KH NG CH EO AE) will be displayed as they should (oo for example will be displayed as one Orenth instead off two Osk).
    (this only works in programs which support the use of ligatures, obviously. Firefox does support them Chrome doesn't for example) Chrome does support ligatures as of 2015!

It comes in 4 Versions:

Two Normal Versions:

Aurebesh: Arabic numbers regular Capitals
    Auretech: Technumbers regular Capitals

Now Fixed:
    Two versions with mirrored capital letters(like in Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith) :
    Aurebesh Inversed: Arabic numbers Inversed Capitals
    Auretech Inversed: Tech numbers Inversed Capitals

So the question remains what this could be used for.
    Firstly of course for fan-art or other fan-project.
    Secondly it can be used with any program that allows selecting custom fonts. For example you could use the whole internet in Aurebesh.

A simple way to toggle between Aurebesh and regular Fonts in your browser is by using these styles (not the Google one, that just changes the Google logo) with the extension Stylish.

Download here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zer0, eko32eko7, vstarvan and 4 others like this.
  2. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    This is really cool!
    I would love to try to use this with GIMP for fanart. Do you have a DeviantArt account or any other place you would want credit linked to?

3. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    This is so beautiful.....

4. Shadow53

Shadow53 Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2014
    I'd like to package these fonts for other Star Wars/Arch Linux guys like me to use on our systems (effectively making the entire computer use aurebesh XD). Do I have permission to do this, and what license (if any) is this under?

5. Tycho_Ordo

Tycho_Ordo Jedi Padawan

Jan 11, 2012
    You certainly have my permission, but obviously the rights belong to the copyright holder of Aurebesh(e.g. Disney) meaning any commercial application is out of the question. That said as I guess your linux distro is free it probably shuldn't be a problem.

Also as a side note I recently noticed that the font was rather broken and I only fixed the regular versions and not the inverted ones.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  6. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
  7. Tycho_Ordo

Tycho_Ordo Jedi Padawan

Jan 11, 2012
    UPDATE: Finally sat down and fixed the Versions with the inversed capital letters!

8. Spaxous

Spaxous Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2015
    OK!! It works :3
    So, I figured out finally why the dual characters weren't working in MS Word. You have to go into Font Properties and make sure that you use the Font Specific Characters. I did try the Linux version out, and it works from the start however.

Just going to leave this here in case anyone else has this issue. Hope it helps.

9. Spaxous

Spaxous Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2015
    Oh, and to Tycho Ordo, I have to say that it isn't completely true that the double characters do not work on Chrome. They worked on Linux when I had it set up, don't remember how to do it anymore, as I switched back to Windows (gaming...)

The main thing to know, is that Linux is WAY better than Windows when it comes to customization and such, so almost anything is possible if you know how to do it. :D

10. Tycho_Ordo

Tycho_Ordo Jedi Padawan

Jan 11, 2012
    I wrote that back in 2013, by now Chrome fnally has ligature support(even on Windows), too! Just updated my original post and added a guide for a simple way to toggle your browser(Chrome or Firefox) to Aurebesh