main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Knights of Ren

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PrincessKenobi , Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Has it been suggested yet that maybe some of Luke's students from his academy follow Kylo and become Knights of Ren with him?

2. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015

I don't know if its been suggested, but it should. Great idea!

Darth Caliban and DL44Jo like this.
  3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    In the other thread, I theorized that Snoke is really Rey's mom. That Snoke is just an illusion meant to instill fear and control the First Order. That she was Force Witche in reality....a Nightsister of Dathomir. Someone who deceived Luke and managed to get Kylo to turn to the darkside.

What if the Knights of Ren, are just the "protectors" of the nightsisters?

Mother_Talzin likes this.
  4. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    Would give Luke more reason to go into hiding - he didn't only lose one student, but possibly several and then they turn around and try to hunt him down.

5. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001

I read that too and thought the wording was definitely interesting... if he has more than 1 apprentice, perhaps the KoR are all apprentices under Snoke? And because Kylo is the most gifted he was made master. Intriguing to think about.

nld3, Lobot_the_Jedi and Tython Dawn like this.
  6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Thats my interpretation of it , it makes sense. Snoke is now apparently driven to get his hands on Rey cause she was more powerful than Kylo Ren. Kylo also said she needed a teacher during their fight(prior to her embracing the Force), whether that implied himself or Snoke, was a bit hazy in the film. Snoke using Kylo for his power, seems to make Kylo pretty much a weapon & pretty expendable in the scheme of things.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think Snoke might be part of an ancient Sith that predates the rule of two.

nld3, Darth Caliban and QueenSabe7 like this.
  8. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001

I did originally think Ben meant himself, but what if he did mean Snoke? Maybe he was thinking he could recruit her to become a Knight? I never considered that before... and after Rey got the best of Ben during his interrogation of her and Snoke said to bring Rey to him, perhaps he was thinking the same? Hmmmm

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    In the novel, Snoke was there since the beginning(some point after ROTJ) watching Leia and corrupting and turning child Ben from afar. Leia and Han appear to have some knowledge of Snoke, buts never spoken of in the film. So for some reason he only pops up after Sidious' demise. Would not surprise me if this Snoke and Ren stuff was a rival Dark Side religious order/ sect trying to fill the power vacuum left my the extinction of the Sith. I do not think the Sith would allow another Dark Side religion to be running around anymore than they would the Jedi. If the Sith are truly extinct , as Darth Maul is still alive so far and its unclear whether or not he took a new apprentice. Leia had a vision of Darth Maul on Naboo so that could mean something or not remains to be seen.

10. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    That would be an interesting twist, if the Snoke hologram was a façade for another character. If Skywalker were to father a child (Rey) with a Nightsister, the offspring would have a variety of Force powers. I'd love to see a return of the Great Mother (Talzin) as well - a being described as ancient and eternal. The Dathomirians are also the most significant Force users after Jedi and Sith in my opinion...

11. ButtHurtPunk

ButtHurtPunk Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015

I don't agree with Snoke being Rey's mom, but I do like the idea of Snoke's real appearance being anything but that grotesque huamanoid we saw in the Force Awakens. In a Reddit thread someone posited that Maz Kanata was really Snoke, which I also don't agree with, however I like the juxtaposition of a physically short female with his larger than life hologram.

12. jabba the drunk

jabba the drunk Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 8, 1998
    Can someone post the pics from The Art of Star Wars The Force Awakens of the preproduction Knights of Ren?

There were a few images, and I think they were called Jedi Killers. But the designs matched the Knights of Ren in the movie scene.

13. Ceirwyn

Ceirwyn Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    Rule of 2 was about hiding during Jedi dominance, so post prequel it doesn't make sense to keep it.

The Sith had no problem tolerating a larger number of darkside users so long as they were useful; they just didn't consider those darkside users Sith (hence the Inquisitors). And they didn't want the attention of the Jedi drawn to themselves, so other darkside users are great for being distraction. I can see several different darkside orders having friendly-while-useful relations considering they would all be hiding from the Jedi.

If they're the left over 7, then Snoke appears to have come into the scene to offer them help, but may not be a true Ren himself. I can see Ren as more middleground between the dark and lightside users, caring more about motivation or balance than which side you're using. Jedi are very picky about what they consider acceptable, and I could see them being disruptive for all the other force philosophies/religions out there.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  14. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004

While if forced to chose I would come down on Snoke not being Rey's mom in disguise, but it is a very interesting if whacky idea. Also, it continues to riff on the Luke as "King Arthur" we keep hearing about, if Luke were somehow deceived into conceiving with someone (a Nightsister as suggested, though I would think some other dark side group we haven't seen yet, from these "Unknown regions" perhaps?) would echo many versions of the legend where Morgaine/Morgause uses witchery or beguilement to bed Arthur and conceives Mordred, though of course these characters are usually half-siblings (but we have enough sibling romance in SW already…). If something similar were happening with Luke it would be an inversion of the legend, with Kylo seeming much more like a Mordred-figure and Rey more like Galahad or Perceval.

But "Snoke" sounds a lot like "smoke," as in smoke-and-mirrors, and it could fit with that someone who knew and was around Luke could have some access to Han/Leia/infant Ben.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  15. jc1138

Nov 16, 2004

Great post, I like the analysis and you coalesce some of what I've been thinking about Kylo/Knights of Ren. I especially like the insights into the Han/Kylo scene with how he tells him to take the mask off, as if he's familiar with Ben using this perhaps from running with the KOR.

But we also know that Han knew/saw/interacted with Vader, and equates Ben with Vader when speaking with Leia. He tells Ben "you don't need it" (the mask). Why would he say that? Is he saying he doesn't need to hide? Need to cover his face? Need to show allegiance to the KOR (or Snoke, dark side, Vader's memory, you can keep going on)? Could be many things.

16. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015

I took that as a jab at Ben - calling him out for playing dress up with his whole Knights of Ren persona. He's trying to be something he's not. Vader needed the mask to live; for Ben, it's just a costume.

Glor, QueenSabe7 and jc1138 like this.
  17. jc1138

Nov 16, 2004

Yes, I think this is the most-streamlined reading of the line. My initial thought when I first saw the film was "Han's thinks Kylo has some sort of facial scars," obviously not the case (at that time).

18. Ceirwyn

Ceirwyn Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    When Kylo chooses to wear the mask and when he doesn't are all very interesting moments that deserve a lot of analysis.

rowan_greenleaf likes this.
  19. Ceirwyn

Ceirwyn Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    Masks are typically used to hide or assume roles. I would assume Han thought of it as hiding or trying to be Vadar, but I don't think it means that to Kylo in the way Han (or even a lot of the audience) is thinking about it.

1. Kylo takes his mask off for Rey, which I don't think he would have done for just anyone. I think he wanted to see if she recognized him (because he sure recognized her), wanted to communicate as a person/force user rather than as a KoR/Sith/Evil Bad Guy (potentially wanting to recruit her), and was actually glad to see her. Kylo's positively warm with her, though restrained, stands close enough to be touched by her, and doesn't react violently to her trying to look into his head (he just pulls back). I think that this threw the audience off as much as it threw Rey off. He spent that entire scene saying "I will let you get close enough to me to see and relate to me, not my role".

Poe's interrogation is meant as a contrast.

2. He took it off for Han, because Han dared him to, because it wouldn't work with Han (who already knew him), and because he knew what he was going to do and wanted to do it without the mask. He needed to prove he didn't need the mask to do what he had to do.

I think there are still KoR, and we'll meet them in the next film. I think JJ is going to hit home hard that they aren't Sith, and throw our expectations about what darkside users are like back in our face.

20. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    I think it's the complete opposite.
    Snoke says Kylo is the last of the Rens.
    I think Luke grabbed all the Knights, turned them to the light side then brainwashed them to start a new clean life.
    AKA......
    REY!

Luke isnt hiding, Luke was hunting.

Ceirwyn likes this.
  21. Java_The_Hutt_

Java_The_Hutt_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    [/quote]
    Snoke says Kylo is the last of the Rens.[/quote]

Where/When does he say that?

I recall him saying that Kylo was a master of the Knights of Ren

Darth Krayt and DL44Jo like this.
  22. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    He says he is the master of the Knights of Ren. The Knights of Ren are very much alive and active where they were during the events of this movie is anyone's guess, probably guarding Snoke or searching for Luke or something Snoke's wants.

nld3 and DL44Jo like this.
  23. Ceirwyn

Ceirwyn Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    Ooooohh, I like this theory!

24. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    Haha! Way to keep it unpredictable! ;)

25. wian

wian Jedi Knight

Nov 11, 2012
    Dont know if this has been mentioned, ( but i cant be bothered scrolling back through 87 pages ) but a theory is that during Rey's flashback when she sees The Knights Of Ren, they were standing in the rain on Endor after they had slaughtered Ewoks. Some theorize that you can see another Lightsaber in Kylo's hand, being Darth Vaders lightaber. We know at some point he must have gone back to presumably Endor to retrieve Vaders mask

Obviously the other theory is they are standing around after slaughtering the Jedi's Luke has been training at the temple

Once again sorry if its been mentioned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.