main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey’s Anti-Anakin theory

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rrlevy, Dec 24, 2015.

1. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Or if we do - it will be past tense... "Anakin/Darth Vader was the chosen one... then he did terrible things..."

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    For the love of God Nooo!

Just let Anakin be the Chosen one and move on.

3. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    You mean: like this?

Tanjint and Chained Prometheus like this.
  4. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Exactly!

Tanjint and Shaak Ti like this.
  5. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    it would need it's own twist...

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  6. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    @ChainedPrometheus - So Rey's basically the Korra of these new movies and Anakin was basically Aang if he went evil? And there's a Chosen One born for whenever there's a huge imbalance in the Force?

Huh, that's kind of interesting.

7. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013
    Essentially, yes. I think it's most likely between that and Rey being Luke's long lost daughter.

8. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    could be both..

9. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Nothing goes farther than the EU to make such a case

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Guys bad news, last night I thought of some major holes in this theory.

If she's not a Kenobi, Skywalker or Solo then why did Han know who she was? He is not a Force-sensitive.

Kylo acted like he had an idea of who she was, not Snoke.

Solo has an answer for Kanata when she says "Who's the girl?"

No reason for Kylo to suspect more of her than Snoke except for the familial connection. If she was just the new chosen one but not related to Skywalkers then Snoke would have been on the page by the time Kylo brings it up.

Kylo, Han, Leia and Luke all act like they recognize her. This even puts a big hole in the Rey Kenobi theory- why the HELL would Han know about a long lost Kenobi descendant?

She's gotta be a legacy

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

morrison85 likes this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    My only question is where does this leave Luke in such a scenario?

Anakin is the failed prophet/God

Rey is the One who will "set things right."

But Luke? The one who has been the actual Hero of the Saga? The man in the middle of all the action, most responsible for setting things straight himself, thirty-odd years ago.

But now, in this new theory, he is remembered as... what? The being who will help guide the true 'One'?

I don't know, man. I wouldn't mind it (as in, not one bit would I mind it. Hell, I'd love it) if only that were ever even hinted at in any point during Luke's journey. Yes, his directive from Yoda was to pass on the sum of his knowledge and experience. I know.

And I get that Luke is not the action hero or protagonist in this trilogy. That's not what I'm arguing.

But in this discussion, we are talking about taking the long view of things. The nine-Episode view.

So again, I ask an honest question: To anyone looking at the entire nine chapter story front-to-back, where would this theory leave Luke Skywalker?

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    The old Chosen One who now must teach the New Chosen One how to stop the present threat. He can't stop Kylo by himself, so she has to take the helm.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Post of the day and thank you. No more Space Jesus or Prophecy Children.

I want Rey to be human in every sense just like another character. Both the good and the bad. And by bad I don't mean she has to be a bit evil (though that kind of be bad a$$). More she makes mistakes just like every hero does.

14. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    As I said before I would hate another chosen one story. It was the worst aspect of the prequels, and is used in too many stories. The one way that might make it interesting is that if Rey falls to the darkside for a period of time or God forgive leave it off on a dark tone with her in the darkside. It would make everything more tragic seeing what we thought was the perfect character fall to the darkside, and what was going to Luke's hope for the future turn around and betray him. However this is what was exactly happened with Anakin so I don't think people want to see it again. It could be great if pulled of correctly, as we in this case wouldn't know the future, their could be some real tension and emotion seeing everything go so wrong. But the prequels probably left a bad taste in most peoples mouths and this would just come off as an attempt to do what the prequels tried to do with Anakin. So we would probably just see a straight out chosen savior and I think that would be pretty lame. It also would kind of crap on Luke, sandwiched between two chosen ones and he would be the guy who was just there, despite probably going through the most hardships and making the right choice. So just avoid the whole chosen one and prophecy mumbo jumbo with this. I'd honestly be happy with Rey being Lukes daughter or a total random over another chosen one.

15. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

If this were to pan out, I'd argue that Luke is the link that binds everything together. He's the hero that helped redeem the Fallen and is now positioned to mentor the New. What he chooses to teach Rey will likely help set the course for future Jedi after them both. He is the Merlin of this universe.

whostheBossk and Force22 like this.
  16. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    The "chosen one" was the single most stupid and pointless element of the entire PT. It must never be mentioned again.

JediRocks74 likes this.
  17. rrlevy

rrlevy Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2015
    Luke's role in the story would be to be the keeper of the Jedi order.
    Even if Rey has the strongest connection to the Force, Luke is the only one trained in the Jedi skills and code, and he is the only one that can pass it forward.

His role was to put an end to Anakin's destructive path and keep the Jedi order in "standby" until the chosen one arrives!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Force22 likes this.
  18. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    We don't know if Han knew who she was. The movie may have simply been cut in such a way as to misdirect.
    Yes, Maz did asked Han who the girl was, and yes the camera did cut away.

I was also in the camp thinking Kylo knew of her as there were several lines in the film where she asks about 'the girl' but having watched the film a few more times, it's clear that he only learns of her when they first escape fro Jakku
    then he becomes increasingly obsessed finding her. Kylo was only initially looking for Finn and BB-8

19. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Not only was the concept of the "Chosen One" stupid in the first place, but having Rey be the "real" Chosen One undermines everything Lucas did. Of all of the theories about Rey, this is the one I like least.

coxie0520 likes this.
  20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Totally not for "chosen Rey". It just sounds like stepping on the PT's toes and meddling with George's intention for Anakin's story.

21. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    The Chosen one arc is 1-6 and is brilliant as is. Yes Mary Sue is a weak character but to try and explain all the stuff she is able to do in the film is because she is the Chosen one is pretty dumb. Just blame it on Abrams bad writing.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    So, the "every man" hero (Well, almost: Luke is still strong in the Force, after all. But in discussions such as these, things are relative)... the everyman hero who sits between the true Force Gods; both of whom who would be lost without Luke (Luke having redeemed the fallen god and guided/prepared the way for the true god).

I am a certified Luke fanatic who is all about the lore. And even I have to concede that, well... There are worse legacies. :)

----------

Mind, it's still not at all in-line with what I'd prefer see done with the Rey character, for the same reasons I pointed out in my first post on the topic. But at least it still leaves room for Luke to have left a well-defined legacy; one which would (or at least, one would hope) stand the test of time.

I still prefer that Rey is "just" a powerful being. What I mean by that is, maybe Rey is another Skywalker? Or a Rey Random, but minus any kind of "Force-born" connotations? (So, maybe someone powerful in the 'Kenobi at the height of his powers,' vein.) A being who, through her own heroic actions in the ST, allows Luke the opportunity to fulfill his destiny of founding a new Order (whatever shape it may take).

Luke is the mirror to Anakin. Where the father falls, the son redeems. Where the Anakin destroys the Jedi, Luke fashions a new Order (but in his own image).

Anakin is the failed Skywalker. Luke gives the name, um... flight (sorry).

In this scenario, Rey is free to play the action hero protagonist of the remaining two films who we all know she is fated to be. But rather than some 'Force-god done right this time,' the long-view of Rey is that it is she, rather than Luke, who is destined to act as the 'helper.'

Rey spurs Luke back into action ("healing" him, as some are wont to put it), so that -- while Rey is very much playing the new hero (and pulling the requisite story focus), through Rey's efforts, Luke is somehow freed to complete the remaining steps (the "Return" phase) of his own Monomyth journey.

People are always quick to scream that it ("it" meaning the ST) is not the OT3's story this time. And they are right. From a certain point of view.

Kylo and Rey, Finn and Poe are absolutely the ones spurring the action in these films. On the surface, this is a trilogy about their actions. But, as this topic keenly points out, the ST also serves as the final third of an ennealogy.

So, Rey is the immediate 7, 8 and 9 hero, yes. Meanwhile, Luke uses his part in the ST to complete his own six-episode (like his father) Hero's Journey,* within a larger, nine-part Episodic Saga.

So, I guess it's fair to say mine is a different take.

----------

*Hopefully, before wandering off at the close of Episode IX into an unknown fate (leaving open later job opportunities for Hamill as an elderly wandering sage known only in whispers as 'the Skywalker'). :D

23. solrdzm

solrdzm Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I though too many things about this....
    I think Anakin's is/was the chosen one in his time may be this force balance is for cicles but obviously with this new episode the balance that Anakin brought was destroyed,,,, or was something for Anakin's generation , may be Anakin with his redemption teached Luke something new for the new Jedi's generation, I think this is very confusing that makes me thing that originally the story was formed with 6 episodes but now obviously with these new episodes this prophecy passed away and Obviously the force balance had to be destroyed ,,,, I feel very confuse with these new episodes,,,,but for me Anakin was the chosen one because no one else of the Jedi had this compassion and gave his life for others in this case the love wasn't a path to dark side it was a light path to redemption to the force light :D

Enviado desde mi SM-A500M mediante Tapatalk

whostheBossk likes this.