main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 2016 Fanfic Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Dec 28, 2015.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Findswoman , jcgoble3 and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    As for me:

I did that today :D

For 2016 I would like to finish my current WIP (The Courtship of Prince Bail fic) by April 5th
    Write at least 1 Disney-Canon multi-part short story
    Write at least 1 Legend multi-part short story

3. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    My 2016 resolutions are what they have always been:

1. I will write more.
    2. I will read more.
    3. Comrade Napoleon is always right.

Glor and Chyntuck like this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    For 2015 I'll give myself a B-.
    1. Well, I did finish writing it, but Darth Real Life, Darth Greek Politics and Darth Refugee Crisis didn't allow me to finish editing and posting, so that will spill over into 2016.
    2. N/A (I dropped out two weeks into the year.)
    3. Erm... I managed 5 months, and I have two posts that I still need to clean up and post in the next 72 hours. I can manage that, right?
    4. Success! I participated in 4 challenges already, and I'm fine-tuning two fics that will be posted by 31 December.
    5. Ha. I didn't write any original fiction this year. My publisher hates me.
    1. Success! I read a whole bunch of stuff in different genres and different eras. I could still do better, though.
    2. Total fail on KotOR/TOR, I still have no idea what that's about. However, I did read quite a few Before fics in other eras of the pre-TPM SW universe, so all in all not too bad.
    3. I didn't just read one diary while in progress, I read several. I may have overcome my diary block, actually. *pats self on the shoulder*
    4. Well, I cheated a bit on that, because I went quite often for the read-now-review-later approach, but in the end I did manage to leave a review on almost every fic I read.

As for 2016 resolutions, I'm going to cut back a little on fanfic because I want to write that darn original novel I was supposed to complete six months ago. So my plan is:
    1. To complete my various WIPs,
    2. To write whatever pending challenges I have left from 2015,
    3. To do a DDC,
    4. To run the "Fifty titles in search of a story" challenge,
    5. If I've completed my original novel by 30 September, to do NaNo for a fanfic plot bunny I have in mind,
    6. To keep reading a wide variety of fics,
    7. To not revert to my lurker ways *kicks self in the butt*

Findswoman and Tohl_Andares like this.
  5. Tohl_Andares

Tohl_Andares Jedi Knight star 1

May 26, 2011
    For my 2015 resolutions, there was a original fiction short story I wanted to finish, and also some other things. I think I've managed the "other things" but the short story was dead in the water, and I won't be able to finish it until 2016 (unless I stop complaining and write it NOW).

In 2016, I would like to start an ongoing SW longfic, and write a few short stories that focus on the characters that will appear in them. Beyond that, I will just try to come up with stories that seem interesting to me with themes that I would like to explore. Hopefully people will enjoy them.

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  6. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Resolution: Writing stuff. More specifically, writing more fics in my AU, especially ones that should have been rewritten or completed 10 years ago.

Findswoman , Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    1. C−. Had it done with enough time to edit a bit, but too much procrastination led to being rushed a few times or having to do a critical scene as a flashback (because the pace of that RPG stops for no one).
    2. Currently sitting at 5,719 words, including the plot summaries for a few fics I haven't written yet. Hoping to bump that up quite a bit before the end of the year by writing the fic-gift.
    3. Procrastination FAIL.
    4. Procrastination FAIL.
    5. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAnope.
    6. Decided to stay in a reduced role, hoping it would free up time to work on fanfic. Unfortunately, so far it's just led to more procrastination.

Speaking of all that procrastination, I'm going to procrastinate a bit on setting resolutions for 2016. :p

8. Tohl_Andares

May 26, 2011
    That sounds very familiar jcgoble3. Honestly, if you have at least been writing stuff, albeit not the things you wanted to write, you should see some improvement in your skill. Any attempt at creativity is good in my opinion -- unless, of course, procrastination devoured it all.

jcgoble3, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Should I keep this handy in case we need it again soon?
    [​IMG]

Tarsier, mavjade , jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have accomplished all of my 2015 fanfic resolutions, which is odd. The one I'm most proud of is the last one. Some people I met on here are becoming actual close friends, they're not afraid to open up and not afraid to love. I even made an exception to my #1 rule for somebody on here - as in, I'm perfectly fine with not knowing their name and not seeing a photo of them for a while more, even a couple of more years. Given my past experiences on the internet - a story I will spare you from this time around - that's a huge level of trust.

1. Complete both of my current longfics by the last third of the year (hopefully much earlier) and start posting their joint sequel, which is the best thing I have ever written.

2. Complete a ~26-chapter DDC.

3. Participate in the Fifty Titles challenge, which came just about handy for what I want to do.

4. Complete all remaining 2015 challenge responses by March or so.

5. Complete reviewing all remaining things from my long list by March or so.

6. Start and run the three interesting - two myself and one with Findswoman

7. Read an even wider variety of stories. Perhaps even *gasp* SONGFICS.

leiamoody and Findswoman like this.
  11. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    1. Yes!
    2. Well...there are some fragments that have been written, and it's vaguely outlined in my head.
    3. LOL, nope!

Okay, let's go for 2016:

1. Finish writing and posting my Episode VIII fic.
    2. Finish off all posted but unfinished WIPs (now at three, not including no 1 or my DDC)
    3. Finish my DDC (either by continuing as is or doing a 2016 continuation).
    4. NOT starting any few multi-chapter fics until all the above is achieved.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  12. Tohl_Andares

May 26, 2011
    What is a DDC by the way?

13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

An abbreviation for Dear Diary Challenge. You can read more about it in its own dedicated thread.

Findswoman and Tohl_Andares like this.
  14. Glor

Glor Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2015
    I have but one goal- write/finish the two KotOR ficlets that have been sitting half-baked on my computer for two years.

So technically two goals.

15. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Considering I actually started writing again in 2015, I'll give myself an A+ for my "resolutions."

As for 2016, the main one is this: Finish editing and start posting a long form work I wrote this year.

Admiral Volshe and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I only had one real resolution for 2015, and it was a rather nebulous and not easily measurable one:

I most certainly didn't finish it, but maybe I achieved "substantial progress"? Sort of? As in, made it to almost-being-this-close-to-finishing part two out of, say, three or four? :D Still, with this in mind, I can make some more specific and realistic goals for 2016:

1. To continue making significant progress on my multi-chapter story, and specifically to make it to the end of part three.
    2. To try to get into some kind of regular posting schedule on said multi-chapter story, even if it's just once a month.
    3. To finish up my outstanding challenges (Poetry, First Sentence, Fanon Roulette, and hopefully whatever the next OC one will be) by June or so.
    4. To continue administering challenges and discussion topics in the Fanon Thread.
    5. To get down to business on the new discussion and challenge thread I have planned with Ewok Poet, which she mentions in her post above.
    6. To be more timely about reviewing the stories I'm following. Really, I'm not ignoring you!

And that should be it, at least for now. Fingers, toes, and all appendages crossed!

17. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I resolve to write a 100-500 word piece featuring TFA characters. It will likely be a ship, but I cannot say.

18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    [face_laugh] Yes, that would be a good idea. :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm going to count that as a win, even if it's kinda a cheating one. I posted 4 parts of a story that is a series, but each part is it's own individual story, they are just connected by theme.

2016 Resolutions:
    -Finish my letters story
    -Complete the Fifty Title in Search of a Story challenge/workshop
    -Complete and post my first sentence challenge story

20. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    For 2015 I completed these:
    -Finished another chapter of SSRA.
    -Finished 8 chapters of both my Imperial fics.
    -Put Survival away for now.

I have yet to complete (and likely won't):
    -Finishing Uprising or any other story.
    -150,000+ words

My new resolutions:
    -Finish five fics this year, including SSRA.
    -Finish my original fiction.
    -Read more.
    -Participate in at least 2 challenges.
    -Write something out of my comfort zone.
    -Write 100,000 words.
    -Write a Doctor Who story.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  21. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

Well I haven't finished the mentioned fics, mostly because of writer's block and today I deleted what I had for the next chapter of one of the fics so I could rework it.

I haven't finished any fics besides my DDC 2015 so I haven't started any new fics; actually I sort of have and seem to be doing ok with hammering out the details.

And I did find a new Beta for my fic, the wonderful Nyota's Heart!

I guess for the new year I will:

1: Finish at least three of my WIPs before my birthday

2: Write out a fic before I post it.

22. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Yet again I resolve to not make any resolutions. They never work out. :) But I did post a couple of short stories last week, so that's a nice start for the year.

Findswoman , Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    I think I'll avoid resolutions this year, and just plan to continue reading/commenting now and then, writing whatever I have inspiration for, and generally enjoying fanfic. :)

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Update on #2: Success! :D (Well, that is, if I allow myself to count both the entire fic-gift AND its plot summary. If you insist on excluding the plot summary. I'm roughly a thousand words short. :p)

25. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    I only had one resolution for 2015--to finish the story I started for the 2009 Dear Diary Challenge, and should have finished in 2010--and I did not succeed. Oh, I did write one and a half entries, so I could have done worse. But I could have also done much better. And--especially considering that I haven't finished a single piece of writing since late July, and I don't even much care--I should probably avoid any writing related resolutions for the rapidly approaching next year. Well, serious resolutions, anyhow.

1. Shame myself out of writing something for the 2016 Dear Diary Challenge. (It hardly matters whether or not anyone would want to read and/or comment on [identifying story details redacted]; even if the story I started for the 2009 challenge wasn't still tragically, and annoyingly, in progress, I am on record in at least one post as saying I won't allow myself to write any more multi-post stories, a decision I made years ago for very, very good reasons.)
    2. Write two! entries on the previously mentioned diary.
    3. And: that is all.