main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion When do you think we have to start worrying about Episode VIII spoilers in earnest?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I don't know about you guys, but the day after seeing TFA was one of the most liberating for me when it came to the internet. No longer did I need to avert my eyes encountering anything Star Wars, no longer did I need to be afraid of watching clips or interviews! Man, it felt good. I can go talk in the rest of the forums (because while I enjoy you all,there are like six of you,) I can look through books, hell, I can even walk down the toy aisle again.

And going in spoiler-free was so good that I know I have to do it again for VIII. So, the question is, how long do you think we have to breathe before crawling back into our holes?

2. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I had the same reaction. Then I realized that Ep 8 will start filming soon, so I'll be back to spoiler free mode. But this time its going to be harder for me, since I've seen TFA and actually liked it. So there's more temptation (and fanfic!).

I'd say when filming starts up again, but I haven't been able to figure out when that is with my commando style spoiler avoidance sleuthing. I know they've done a little filming already and I think John Boyega said filming will start in a few weeks (from TFA's release date).

I think this is the one flaw with the current system of new SW movies. Those of us who want to be spoiler free don't get much of a chance to enjoy the movie before having to hunker down again. There are things I'd like to do, but I'm afraid of running across an Ep 8 spoiler. At least this time I'll have the TFA novelization, soundtrack, tie in novels and eventually the movie itself to keep me busy.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This path sounds way too stressful.
    What gets spoiled to me, gets spoiled.
    No use worrying about it.

Dandelo likes this.
  4. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Well, it's only a year off.

Most of the stuff that leaked about TFA (all of it, really) was released at least by the summer if I remember correctly...

So you've probably got a couple of months.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's what I'm thinking, that it will be soon. We also don't know if Rian Johnson keeps as tight a lid on information as Abrams does.

Lee_ and WriterMan like this.
  6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    In a way this will be a little easier because I know where everything starts. I didn't want to know names of characters, factions, or any of that stuff. I didn't want to know if certain characters had been together before the movie or apart, or how J.J. Abrams would shoot the movie. Definitely once filming starts, I'll have to start getting careful. I wonder if Rogue One will have a trailer for it.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I did admirable for someone who stuck around the spoiler forum for so long, but I still went in knowing a bit too much (the two major developments however were things I'd already guessed and/or hoped for anyway).

But I really, really want to got into VIII nearly totally unspoiled. I feel like TFA was a necessary rehash of familiar SW, but that the new films are going to go in very different directions. I think Rian Johnson will make VIII a rollercoaster and that the stakes to stay spoiler free (or lite) will be much more imperative this go round.

I'll do trailers and that's about it. I just hope 8NSA has more posters than 7 did.

I'm thinking those of us dedicated to going in unspoiled will need to start taking precautions within the next 2 months, if not sooner.

Darth Kermit likes this.
  8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm already backing away from some of the speculating topics and interviews referencing the movie.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That's a good point, it may or may not be different.

You really didn't have to do all of that with JJ keeping such a tight lid on things and minimizing plot reveals in the trailers. You could watch clips, interviews, trailers, etc. without being too spoiled; I really didn't know what was going to happen. I even went to the spoiler forum a lot, I would just leave when something looked like it was potential spoiler material. For the most part, you never know what is true; a lot of "spoilers" weren't even true. Most of them are false. The only thing I really got spoiled on was Luke only being at the end of the movie, but even that I wasn't totally sure was true going into the movie.

I suppose being TOTALLY spoiler free and knowing nothing about the movie is different. I was OK with what I knew, and I mostly didn't want to be spoiled, so I guess it depends on how you look at being spoiled.

And as mentioned above, we don't know if they will keep Epsiode 8 as secret as JJ did TFA. I suppose we want to err on the side of caution.

10. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Slightly off-topic, but should I be worried about Rogue One spoilers yet?

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    We did get our first mutterings of Rogue One plot spoiler today. We already had spy photos of outdoor sets last year.

Episode 8 stuff will be on its way real soon. As post production gets going. As toys get designed.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    To be quite frank, a major shoot has already taken place earlier than main production and pre-production and casting rumors have already become quite active. I have no sense of when info will begin to be mass-leaked onto outlets such as your social media accounts or whatnot, but info on this film will certainly move faster than TFA did because there is no lag between an announcement and production. Production is already thoroughly underway.

AmySolo likes this.
  13. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003