main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Plagueis: The Muun behind Damask

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Jan 4, 2013.

1. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

Say! Master Dreadwar! I just had a thought WHAT IF Darth Plagueis decided to NOT take a Sith Apprentice and decided to do all the work by HIMSELF - what do you reckon? Could Palpatine still have rose to a position of Power or had it not been for Darth Plagueis's help one way or another he would never had had the chance? I mean so imagine instead of Palpatine - DARTH PLAGUEIS replaces his role - I mean surely if you think about it Darth Plagueis too manipulated Palpatine when he was young AND until his death Darth Plagueis did mentor BUT also directed the manipulation in the long run eh?

2. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Palpatine certainly pulled off being the solo Sith Lord in DE II and Empire's End. Where did this idea a Sith Lord needed an apprentice come from, anyway? I suspect without Palpatine, Plagueis would have greatly increased in power and attained true immortality, making an apprentice irrelevant.

Palpatine knew about the Sith before Plagueis, so I suspect he would have become a Keto analogue, learning the dark side through relics and scattered lore. Without guidance, however, he'd have either become a Set Harth type hedonist I suspect (and likely weaker; Forceful autodidacts are hard to find in the EU), or if he'd focused on politics rather than the Force, perhaps would have reached the Senate but gone no further.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

You make a great point. However, Sidious's dark, brilliant mind was a boon for Plagueis. And Plaugeis wasn't a politician. However, Plagueis could have risen to power behind-the-scenes slowly with a larger network under his thumb.

I concur that Sidious would have turned out to be an annoying, hedonistic troublemaker like Set Harth or a manipulator in the Senate. Either way, he would be dangerous and lethal, but not to the level he attained under Plagueis. Plagueis truly unleashed an insidious plague upon the galaxy. No doubt.

4. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

AH! Who said Darth Plagueis wasn't a politician? ;) HE DID NOT NEED TO BE ONE - HE EASILY COULD HAVE BEEN ONE! DON'T FORGET HOW HE MANIPULATED THE DEATH OF COSINGA PALPATINE AND ORCHESTRATED THE EVENTS ON NABOO ;) AND THOSE SOJOURNS?! AND THE MEETINGS WITH PROMINENT HEADS ACROSS THE GALAXY? AND HOW Darth Plagueis himself could have personally for the matter have altered much more of Sith history...

AH! Also don't forget how Darth Plagueis at one time he accused Palpatine of being impatient and how Darth Plagueis could 'bore him to for years about the achievments of Belial Darzu and Freedon Nadd on whim easily if he had to ... or send Palpatine to 100 worlds where esoteric Ancient Sith symbols are carved on the worlds...'

Sudooku and Darth Dreadwar like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if Luceno intended "Damask" to sound like "the mask".

6. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

The point being Darth Plagueis was ALREADY 'DA MASK' BY the time he was training Palpatine and well carrying out the Sith Grand Scheme...

7. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Yes, I think he did. And the surprising fact for me is that Hego wore even a double mask. First his civil name and then after 52BBY his transpiratory mask.

While I always ponder about why Plagueis wasn't able to get rid of his transpirator-mask within almost twenty years in experience in healing and manipulating the midi-chlorians. Ten years after the assassination-attempt of the Maladians at Fobosi, Plagueis had fulfilled his researches about the midi-chlorians and cheating death and that was the reason he let Venamis die finally at 42 BBY.

So there are ten years left to let breed on Kamino substitutional parts of the lower jaw and throat to reconstruct his face before he would have become co-chancellor 33 BBY - or not. Seems to be a law that a Sith-Lord can't get rid of such a mask for all his live. I just don't get it. :(

I wish you all a good ride into New Year!

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Indeed, it makes little sense why a Sith Lord who desired purely physical immortality as Plagueis did would not dedicate his efforts to ridding himself of the transpirator. Perhaps he enjoyed how it made opponents underestimate him, and also it served as physical intimidation?

OOU, it's obvious they just wanted to make Plagueis look scarier and more unique than just being a physically indistinct (and I'd argue pretty non-scary anyway) Muun.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think Luceno wanted Plagueis to live until the end of TPM so that he'd have an excuse to cover things that he wasn't allowed to talk about back when Cloak of Deception was published, but he had have Plagueis out of the way by TPM to explain why we don't see Plagueis in TPM.

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  10. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    That would also have been to much for the heart of Nute Gunray when Sidious showed him via Hologram not only Maul but also Plagueis.

Nute Gunray to Rune Haako: "Now there are three of them - Unbearable!"

But - hey! - we had Anakin retconned into the end of ROTJ at least as a hazy image of a force-ghost. So why not retcon Plagueis like this into TPM ... or even into ROTJ - if he is really coming in the ST? [face_skull]

There is another thing I still don't get: The conspiracy to murder Tenebrous in connection with Subtext mining.

Tenebrous told Plagueis before his death that Subtext Mining delivered the Em-Two-Unit who "accidentally" drilled into the lethan-gas-bubble in the cortosis-area on Bal'demnic causing the explosion which distracted Tenebrous and Plagueis showered him with stones meanwhile. Then, when it is clear that Tenebrous will die, Plagueis vows to avenge Tenebrous by punishing Subtext.

Later with Larsh Hill on Muunilinst, Plagueis orders Hill to invite the three chief-executive Gossams of Subtext to Sojourn. Plagueis advises Hill to make clear that the three Gossams of Subtext advised Rugess Nome and this invitation to Sojourn is all confidential. There Plagueis threatens the Gossams with death until they reveal that they did something bad and want to make amendments for it. They reveal to Plagueis, that they have information about the plasma-reservoir of Naboo.

This story is to fast and to rough IMHO. Did Plagueis bribe some persons of subtext to manipulate the Em-Two-Unit or was it some other enemy of Tenebrous? Fact is, Plagueis wanted to kill Tenebrous anyway. But he didn't seem to know about Subtexts involvement in the conspiracy against Tenebrous. And did Tenebrous already know about Naboo and it's plasma-reservoirs? And went to Bal'demnic to distract Plagueis?

The only thing I'm certain of is that Plagueis want to remove witnesses off stage while deportating the three Gossams of Subtext to the Tingel-Arm. But I still don't know who's tricking who in this subtext Bal'demnic game.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Snoke Plagueis is awesome! I would like to submit my application for membership! :redsaber:

12. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    The name Snoke was often ridiculed here. Maybe "Snoke" as such is just an acronym for "Snowflake", a cryptic reminder of Plagueis' icy homeworld of Mygeeto.

A longlasting snowflake indeed!

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Of maybe he's from the Ice Crypts of Coruscant and "Snoke" is a reminder of that

By the way, is it possible that in Legends, IG-88 is in fact Plagueis?

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Only when he strives to retrieve 11-4D. His only almost-friend.

BTW: Darkslayer : Concerning your request I doubt that Darth Xalfrea will object.
    So please feel free to consider yourself in without submitting tests or contributions. :D

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    sorry for double-posting but time ran out for editing my posting above ... :oops:

It seems to me that Vectivus and Plagueis would have made a nice eternal couple of Sith-Lord-friends indeed. Or even Plagueis with Maul if Plagueis would ever had deemed it appropriate to make a Zabrak Supreme Chancellor.

Didn't Sidious tell Maul in ("The Wrath of Darth Maul" by Ryder Wyndham) at the end of the duel on Hypori in a mocking way that Maul just wanted to have a friend (while he, Sidious, is not)? The same he could have asked Plagueis that night he murdered him "You were far too trusting ... useless old fool"? Both Plagueis and Maul were drawn to the Sith at a very tender age. Maul was three, Hego five years old, when taken and chosen by their respective master. So to speak with Obi-Wan Kenobi, to choose the Dark Side of the force was not their decision.

It seemed to me that Plagueis was so much accustomed to Sidious as his partner in crime that he took his wish to have a friend in Palpatine as a matter of fact, supported by the fawning and flattering way, Palpatine used on him and on the Jedi likewise.

16. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Do you think Palpatine being apprenticed to Plagueis influenced the Empire's attitude towards Muuns?

17. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    If he expected to achieve immortality, he should have never trained somebody like Palpatine. He should 1.-Have focused on achieving eternal youth first and foremost, everything else could wait, and once achieved, he had infinite time to develope his plans. 2.-Have made his financial empire even bigger and more powerful, seizing control of the Trade Federation and the greatest corporations; with the Force and unlimited time, he could pull it (he already had control of the Intergalactic Banking Clan). 3.-Have built a net of corrupted politicians indebted to him/under his control, instead of relying so much on Palpatine. 4.-Have used a non-Force sensitive as his straw Chancellor. 5.-If he really needed to have a Force-sensitive disciple, he could have used somebody easier to manipulate, like Dooku or Maul, instead of that backstabbing snake Palpatine. And finally 6.-Destruction of the Jedi Order and taking over of the Galaxy should have been separate projects. He should have emerged as the saviour of the Galaxy, picking the pieces together, but somebody else should have taken the fault for the destruction of the Jedi.

18. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    It seems to me that Vectivus and Plagueis would have made a nice eternal couple of Sith-Lord-friends indeed. Or even Plagueis with Maul if Plagueis would ever had deemed it appropriate to make a Zabrak Supreme Chancellor.[/quote]

Maul could have never been Supreme Chancellor, he was just an attack dog.

Vectivus, on the other hand... yes, they could make it work. The problem is, Vectivus was too wise; he used the Dark Side to get everything he could ask from life, and stopped before overeaching... who wants to rule the Galaxy, anyways? That's dangerous, and so much work! He wouldn't want to take part in Plagueis's plot.

Mmmm.... I wonder what would have happened if Plagueis had keep an entourage of lesser, more controllable loyal Dark Side Adepts like Naat Lare, the Iktotchi prophet, the Shi'do gambler, Asajj Ventress, Aurra Sing and even Dooku to do his dirty work, instead or relying on Palpatine? He could have used somebody like Rush Clovis as his straw Chancellor.

19. TheGreyWalker

TheGreyWalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2016
    Ok, I'm going to start by pointing out that I am extremely new to the SW universe, so bear with me. As I understand why it, all EU has essential been removed as technical canon, and is slowly being replaced by like Lucas Story Group or something along those lines, right? So I am currently reading about Darth Plagueis, and am wondering if it is generally excepted as canon, and fact by the community. Thanks for your help, and correct me where I may need it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    In essence, it used to be canon. But pretty much all novels, games, comics, etc. now predating the Episode VII push are now either completely non-canon (though still great!) or are in a gray area that its hard to say whether it'll be still incorporated into the new canon or not. Darth Plagueis' novel, personally, I would say is a gray area. It is hard to say whether Disney will continue that approach to his character or not. It is likely it will become non-canon, but thats not definitive.

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  21. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Merging with the Darth Plagueis fanclub

Sudooku likes this.
  22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

That would be great if he did.

Didn't Sidious inherit and/or take control (from behind the scenes) of Damask Holdings after he killed Plagueis?

23. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I believe Sidious essentially destroyed most of what Hego created. He didn't need it anymore. He was the emperor.

24. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    He did this immediately after he killed Plagueis? After he just became chancellor?

25. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    It's been awhile since I've read the novel but I believe it alluded to it throughout the novel when it's from Palpatines view. I don't even remember if it's even from that novel, sorry I'm a bit rusty.