main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Rank the novels of the new canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ScorpionJedi, Jan 7, 2016.

1. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Glanced around a bit and it seems no one has done this? If so, please link me the thread.

I have not had the chance to read all the books so far and I want to make a recommended reading list for a friend. So far, I've read the trio of books consisting of Weapon of a Jedi/Smuggler's Run/Moving Target and I adore each of them and they'd rank high on my list. I have a copy of Lost Stars, which I've heard nothing but good stuff about but haven't had a chance to read it and it's next for me. Aftermath I did read and it was a pain and a chore to get through, except for the interludes, so that's on the bottom for me. I still need to finish Lords of the Sith among others lol but it was ok.

So what is everyone else's personal rank orders?

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    For the adult novels, I rank them roughly like this:
    • A New Dawn and Battlefront are the best, though in different ways.
    • Lords of the Sith and Aftermath are second-tier good. I liked Lords of the Sith considerably better, but not for entirely substantive reasons, so I'd rank them about equal.
    • Tarkin is decent, but not especially great. Middle-ranking.
    • Heir to the Jedi is bad.
    • Dark Disciple is really bad.

3. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    I've heard Heir to the Jedi is not as good as Weapon of a Jedi. Have you read the YA novels and if so, how do you rank them?

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    They've all been good, though Lost Stars less so than the others. I'm not sure how to rank them comparatively with the adult novels, though; WOAJ being better than HTTJ is an exception only because they're both Luke-centric and so easy to compare.

5. medioCORE

medioCORE Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    1) A New Dawn
    2) Tarkin
    3) Battlefront: Twilight Company
    4) Aftermath
    5) Dark Disciple
    6) Heir to the Jedi
    7) Lords of the Sith

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  6. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Rank them on the basis of how much you enjoyed the story, characters etc.

A complete list is what I'm looking for here.

7. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    1)Battlefront: Twilight Company
    2)Tarkin
    3)Aftermath
    4)A New Dawn
    5)Lost Stars
    6)Servants of the Empire
    7)Moving Target
    8)Before the Awakening
    9)Weapon of a Jedi
    10)Heir to the Jedi
    11)Dark Disciple

8. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    If we're only doing adult novels:

1) Battlefront: Twilight Company
    2) Lords of the Sith
    3) Tarkin
    4) Dark Disciple
    5) A New Dawn
    6) Heir to the Jedi
    7) Aftermath

I fully realize that Dark Disciple is probably a "worse" story than A New Dawn and the others, but I honestly enjoyed it more than the bottom three on my list. I had more fun reading it.

If we're including YA/YR books:

1) Lost Stars
    2) Battlefront: Twilight Company
    3) Lords of the Sith
    4) Tarkin
    5) Weapon of a Jedi
    6) Dark Disciple
    7) A New Dawn
    8) Smuggler's Run
    9) Before the Awakening
    10) Moving Target
    11) Heir to the Jedi
    12) Aftermath

I haven't read Jason Fry's Servants of the Empire series, but I've heard it is very good.

I also haven't read the YA novelizations of the Original Trilogy.

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm currently partway through Aftermath and obviously have a few more to read yet, but at the moment I would rank them:

1. A New Dawn
    2. Lords of the Sith
    3. Before the Awakening
    4. Tarkin
    5. Dark Disciple
    6. Heir to the Jedi

Heir to the Jedi is the only one I as say I was borderline disappointed with....it was just weird to me...and so far I'm enjoying Aftermath.

10. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    1. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    2. A New Dawn
    3. Lords of the Sith
    4. Dark Disciple
    5. Aftermath
    6. Tarkin
    7. Heir to the Jedi

None of them were terrible, although HotJ was forgettable as was the main plot of Tarkin; Tarkin's backstory saved that novel from being mediocre. The rest are anywhere between decent (Aftermath) to excellent (Battlefront).

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I've really liked the YA novels I've read so far. I really enjoyed Smuggler's Run & Weapon of a Jedi but for very different reasons. I'm reading Moving Target now (just started today) so don't have much to go on but if the past 2 are any hint of what's to come it bodes well, especially considering Jason Fry co-wrote Moving Target. I can't speak for the rest of the Canon so far however. I've only read A New Dawn and Aftermath so far. I'm looking to catch up within the next few months. Tarkin is next on my list and then Lords of the Sith, Lost Stars, & Battlefront (the latter 2 I'm really looking forward to) mixed in with the comics.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  12. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    Rankings are fun! Note I have not read everything in the NewEU.

1, Lost Stars
    2. Lords of the Sith
    3. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    4. Tarkin
    5. Aftermath

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Using "enjoyed reading" as the sole gauge (top is most, bottom is least):

Adult:
    A New Dawn
    Heir to the Jedi
    Dark Disciple
    The Force Awakens novelization
    Lords of the Sith
    Tarkin
    Battlefront: Twilight Company
    Aftermath

Not-adult:
    Lost Stars
    New ROTJ novelization
    New ANH novelization
    Servants of the Empire series
    Before the Awakening
    New TESB novelization
    Moving Target
    Weapon of a Jedi
    Smuggler's Run
    The Rebellion Begins (Rebels: A Spark of Rebellion novelization)
    Rebels: Ezra's Gamble

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    My personal rankings - Del Ray books:
    A New Dawn
    Battlefront: Twilight Company
    Aftermath
    Lords of the Sith
    Dark Disciple
    Heir to the Jedi
    Tarkin

I enjoyed all of them, though HttJ was mostly forgettable and had a regretfully cliché ending, and Tarkin was a bit meh. Dark Disciple was an enjoyable trainwreck, and Lords of the Sith had a terrific first half followed by a rather mushy second half. I really enjoyed Aftermath mostly because the prose didn't bother me, and both A New Dawn and Battlefront were top-five Star Wars books for me (even counting the old EU). I haven't read the TFA novelization.

Everything else:Servants of the Empire series
    Before the Awakening
    Lost Stars
    Moving Target
    Weapon of a Jedi
    Smuggler's Run
    The Princess, the Scoundrel and the Farmboy (ANH)
    Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (RotJ)
    So You Want to Be a Jedi? (ESB)

See, here's the thing. Everything on this list is pretty good, too. About the "worst" are the retellings of the OT, but mostly because they're clearly meant for younger readers. Except for the ANH one, that's just a good book overall. But the rest of these are all original stories that I'd actually rate over pretty much all of the Del Ray books except AND and Battlefront. They're that good.

Smuggler's Run I felt was the weakest of the Big Three books mainly because the story was predictable, but it's still worth reading because Rucka's a good writer. His work in Before the Awakening is much better because it feels fresh and original. Weapon of a Jedi is rock solid, great character piece for Luke. Moving Target is also really good, great work with Leia and a good plot with consequences. Lost Stars is a terrifically good (if rather long) book with great characters and a new sort of story that we haven't seen before. And I will not stop praising Servants of the Empire until Jason Fry makes something else that beats them in quality, they're probably the best books to come out since the new canon started.

15. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    I'm throwing Lost Stars into the mix because (1) I've read it and (2) the word "bang."

1. A New Dawn
    2. Aftermath (would have been dead last, but I read it again right before TFA with different expectations and liked it much better)
    3. Lost Stars
    4. Dark Disciple
    5. Tarkin
    6. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    7. Lords of the Sith
    8. Heir to the Jedi

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not a fan of rankings but I'd highly encourage people to check out the following (listed in release order!):

A New Dawn: foundation of the NEU, lots of books refer to it, really adds to Kanan and Hera, and is just plain good. Also RAE SLOANE. For the longest time, this was the NEU gold standard. It's still among the best. It set a high bar.

Servants of the Empire: these four middle-grade books are better at storytelling and politics than most adult books I've read. They're fun, full of heart, and are just the best. You're missing out if you don't read them. Rebels viewing not required.

Lost Stars: I love this book for the nuanced take on the Empire alone, which I did not expect. Unlike many, I actually did look forward to this book but it still surprised me. You get a good sense of how people are led to do evil and how it corrupts people. It's especially interesting to read alongside SotE.

The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy: I've noticed it's hard to pitch a middle-grade retelling of ANH but I assure you this book has the best Leia I've ever read (and I'm picky!). It's also a genuinely fun retelling of ANH that really channels the mythic and adventure feeling of Star Wars. And I just enjoy the prose style.

Twilight Company: far more than a game tie in, this book takes a hard look at the nature of war and camaraderie. It feels hard and cynical Bc of its anti-hero protagonist but it isn't necessarily so -- my favorite characters were actually the idealists. But it's so good to see the rank-and-file Rebels. And this book also gives a glimpse into the Imperial Court and argh, can't say enough good things about it.

So these are my favorites and ones I recommend most. There are others I like too, as well as others I don't like as much, but I prefer to stick with the positive assessments.

Edit: what these books all have in common I think is a focus on character and on the corrupting effects of the Empire. They're all nuanced and textured.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

my kind of scum likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Of the ones I've read

1) Dark Disciple (Amazing, by far the best)
    2) Lords of the Sith (Really good)
    3) Tarkin (Boring but not terrible)

Still working on Aftermath, and I've got Lost Stars, Heir to the Jedi, and A New Dawn waiting to be listened to.

18. Cheeky Potato

Cheeky Potato Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 5, 2015
    I haven't been able to read everything yet, but for the ones i have:

1. Lost Stars
    2. Aftermath
    3. A New Dawn
    4. Servants of the Empire
    5. Before the Awakwning
    6. The Weapon of a Jedi
    7. Smugglers Run
    8. Lords of the Sith
    9. Moving Target
    10. Tarkin

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    1. Lost Stars
    2. The Princess, The Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
    3. Aftermath
    4. Heir to the Jedi
    5. The Force Awakens novelization
    6. A New Dawn
    7. Battlefront
    8. Lords of the Sith
    9. Smuggler's Run
    10. Moving Target
    11. Tarkin
    12. Dark Disciple
    13. Beware the Power of the Dark Side
    14. So You Want to be a Jedi

20. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Lost Stars
    Battlefront
    A New Dawn
    TFA novelization
    Lords of the Sith
    Aftermath
    Weapon of a Jedi
    Heir to the Jedi
    Moving Target
    Tarkin
    Dark Disciple

Still got Before the awakening and Smugglers run to read.

Also if your friend is open to reading comics at all then the main Star Wars series and Darth Vader are very good, I've also heard good things about Kanan but not personally read it.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  21. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I haven't read all the new canon books

Dark Disciple
    Tarkin
    Heir to the Jedi (Very boring and Luke is one of my favorite characters)

Tried reading weapon of a Jedi but got bored of that (not sure where to rank it)

22. canadianwookie

canadianwookie Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2015
    1. Lost Stars
    2. A New Dawn
    3. Aftermath
    4. Heir to the Jedi
    5. Dark Disciple
    6. Servants of the Empire
    7. Before the Awakening
    8. Moving Target/Weapon of a Jedi/Smuggler's Run (Read them all in one day and enjoyed them all!)
    9. Lords of the Sith
    10. Tarkin

Haven't read Battlefront yet. I'd say Lord of the Sith and Tarkin were the only two I didn't really like. The Top 4 were all ones I raced through and quite enjoyed (Which is kinda surprising given the hate HttJ and Aftermath get on here). The middle-grade-novels I've kinda all squashed together in 6-8 but they are all worth the read, especially because they are just so easy to read. Still have TFA novelization and Battlefront to read though

23. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Those that I've read

1. Lords of the Sith
    2. A New Dawn
    3. Aftermath
    4. Weapon of a Jedi
    5. Dark Disciple

24. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    It's interesting how polarising Aftermath seems to be. Part of that is probably the writing style (I enjoyed it, but I can see why others didn't), and the fact that it seems to be set up (and was advertised as) doing something very different to what it's actually doing.

25. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Of the ones I've read:

1. Lost Stars
    2. A New Dawn
    3. Lords of the Sith
    4. Tarkin
    and way way way way way below the rest.

5. Dark Disciple

Vthuil likes this.