main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which of the Star Wars movie soundtracks is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darkslayer, May 10, 2014.

?

Favorite Star Wars Score?

1. The Phantom Menace

24 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Attack of the Clones

10 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

68 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. A New Hope

27 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

74 vote(s)
    32.2%
  6. Return of the Jedi

27 vote(s)
    11.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Now that we have TFA, this throws my selection all out of whack. TFA was the strangest soundtrack experience I've had with a JW score. Being a huge film score fan and listening to all of his scores, I can usually tell you right off the bat whether it was great or coulda been better. I think my expectations for TFA might have been unrealistic. That being said, I enjoyed the score, but didn't embrace it upon first listen. But having listened to it a couple more times, it is growing on me as a modern masterpiece. For instance, I thought Rey's Theme was a cute little ditty first time I heard it, but now I can't get it out of my head. It was hard to identify Poe's musical identification both on album and in film- but now I can clearly spot it and it is becoming one of my favorites and I hope it gets fleshed out to a more developed theme.

ESB is still the best though IMO. :D

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The Empire Strikes Back. I absolutely love the epic The Battle of Hoth.

City in the Clouds is beautiful with those flutes and soaring, choral voices

Yoda and the Force, from possibly the most awesome scene in the whole saga

The Asteroid Field is fast, frantic and fun, just like the accompanying scenes.

Carbon Freeze has a great riff on the main theme, used when Luke is approaching cloud city in his X-Wing. The first part of the motif plays three times using horn, flute , horn, then it repeats the second part three times in the same instrumental order with the harp in the background. It's gorgeous.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. JayDubya

JayDubya Jedi Master

Dec 30, 2006
    A New Hope. It's the 2nd John Williams album I fell in love with after ET. I use the term 'album' specifically as I actually fell in love the original New Hope tracklist which I know was not complete or in the right order and combined queues but it provided a very memorable musical journey which even now is heavily ingrained in my memory.

4. Richatt

Richatt Jedi Padawan

Dec 19, 2015
    A New Hope is probably my favorite, but I like most of the other ones except maybe Attack of the Clones. That's my least favorite. Still deciding where The Force Awakens places.

5. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    ANH, ESB and TPM.

6. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    1. ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. TPM
    4. ANH
    5. TFA
    6. ROTS
    7. AOTC

AOTC is the only one I don't consider a full 5/5.

7. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    TESB is my fav-Yoda's theme, Imperial March, all of it!
    Then ROTS. I love that score.
    TFA is a masterpiece. #3 for me. Rey's theme, Snoke, The Scavenger, Ren's arrival.
    TPM. Swimming to Otoh Gunga and the Duel.
    ANH, love it! The original.
    ROTJ. Great, not my fav tho...I like the quirky little Baroque piece played at Jabba's palace. #6 for me.
    I still need to buy the score for AOTC, but I like the music in the film.

8. Hethna

Hethna Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2015
    my two fav; TESB and ROTS ~

9. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ESB
    TFA
    ROTS
    AOTC

Howard Hand likes this.
  10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I really don't think I can choose. I love them all in different ways.

Jedi Knight Fett and Oakessteve like this.
  11. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    The only place I can say TPM compares to the OT is here.
    ESB
    TPM
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TFA
    ROTS
    AOTC

12. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I have to say Attack of the Clones has the best repeat listens for me. Out of all the soundtracks, I can listen to that one straight through without skipping around.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    1) The Phantom Menace
    2) The Empire Strikes Back
    3) Attack of the Clones
    4) Revenge of the Sith
    5) The Force Awakens
    6) Return of the Jedi
    7) A New Hope

All are 10/10

14. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    For the Falcon, it has to be "The Force Awakens", followed by "Empire Strikes Back" and "Revenge of The Sith"! :cool:

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I'm with strilo, it's frightfully difficult to decide. I guess the one I probably like the least is Attack of the Clones, but that's only because I'm not all that familiar with it, and I'm sure once they bring out an expanded version of the soundtrack, I'll be all over it like a particularly unpleasant rash. Probably if somebody forced me, like they had a gun to my head or they threatened to kill my entire family and friends if I didn't choose one, I'd probably question why they were going to such extreme lengths to get an answer out of me to something that was fairly trivial, but if that did happen, I'd probably for Empire Strikes Back. It was the first soundtrack I ever got (Christmas 98 I think!) and I absolutely adored it and it would listen to it all the time. So yeah, I choose Empire. But also I choose the other six too. I like them all. Don't kill my friends and family. Or at least one of them got me the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack, and they might buy me something else cool again one day.

Strilo likes this.
  16. J.A. Morris

J.A. Morris Jedi Master

May 6, 2005
    I got ANH soundtrack in 1977, used to play it on my record player while I played with my "Early Bird Special" action figures.

I only own 3 of the 7 soundtracks, my favorites of the ones I own, in this order:
    ANH
    TPM
    TFA

This is a bit of a cheat, but I'm a big fan of another CD called John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy (Star Wars, The Emperor Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi), which contained music from the first 3 films. The only recording on that disc that didn't work for me was the Cantina music, which was not as good as the version on ANH.

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I do think that AOTC is getting a bad rap in here, largely because it's the only SW film without an expanded version of the score, if you count the ROTS bootleg and the TFA For Your Consideration content. It really is a way better score than this poll indicates.

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, there are a few extra AOTC tracks, from various video games and such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6aK6bWrDI&list=PL0dqWRYwKNGfh2fWjsXOaqMilk17C01VX&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOoVlAMlu08&index=7&list=PL0dqWRYwKNGfh2fWjsXOaqMilk17C01VX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwMKi0wP46g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ZP557hgqQ

I really wish that all of the music could have been released though.

Sith_Smuggler likes this.
  19. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I voted for Return of the Jedi. I think it will always be my favorite, and that is partly why it's my favorite of the films [in my heart of hearts] too. I just love it all, the dark opening, the Jabba stuff, Yoda's death, the Emperor's theme, the Ewok stuff, the Endor space battle (!), the Father/Son confrontation (!!!), the funeral pyre, the finale... I love it with my heart.

Behind that for me is probably Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith. So much has been said about the ESB score, I don't know if I could add much to that, but on the ROTS score, the tragedy of it as it all sinks in (Obi-Wan revealing the truth to Padme, Padme's funeral), it all just breaks me heart so much. I listen to ROTS relatively often, I think. As for the other three scores, they are no slouches either. I love the intrique and romance of Attack of the Clones... actually I end up giving that one, especially the noirish bits, a fair amount of my time during some moods. 'Shmi's Funeral' and all that Anakin goes through on Tatooine just breaks my heart into pieces. The Phantom Menace and A New Hope get my least attention but both are fantastic. That goes without saying for ANH, but TPM is truly incredible in many of its scorings... Anakin's theme, 'Anakin is Free', the Otah Gunga stuff, Duel of the Fates...

Finally there is The Force Awakens. While it is good (I particularly like the opening, the Rey stuff, and Finn's confession (nice throwback to TPM's 'Talk of Podracing')), I don't think it holds up to the others as much. I am not sure if this is JJ's influence or just JW himself but it is a notch below for me. Nevertheless, I own it and like it all the same!

You and me both... took me forever to find the full scores of AOTC and ROTS in any decent quality. Though it was well worth it when I did. :)

20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Where can I find the bootleg? I have most of the score already from YouTube but I'm still curious :)

21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Which tracks are you missing?

22. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    ROTS. I listen to it the most and I think the music in the PT is way better than in the OT (except for the Imperial March).

Sith_Smuggler likes this.
  23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Not sure lol

24. Ilona Ho

Ilona Ho Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2016

This one !! ^

25. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    1. A New Hope - All of the classic themes are there, timeless music that still gets used in the PT and ST. Williams composed many classic movie themes during that era ("Jaws," "Superman," "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "E.T." etc) with their one memorable theme, but only the first "Star Wars" film had many.
    2. The Phantom Menace - Bold sonic direction with choirs and new themes that stood on their own to kick off the PT.
    3. The Empire Strikes Back - "Imperial March" set the tone of the film
    4. [Tie] Revenge of the Sith/Attack of the Clones
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. The Force Awakens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.