main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jeykey, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008

Hmm, I did think when the opening crawl came on there was something a bit... off with the main theme, but I couldn't identify it either.

Overall though I did enjoy the score!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I'm probably totally wrong here, but how close is Main Titles and the Attack on the Jakku Village to what we get in the film? As I've now seen the film four times (I've just become single so that's my excuse!) and to me, it sounds pretty similar! Or at least, way more similar to what we heard on the soundtracks from the prequels. So yeah, somebody handsome and clever, like strilo (I don't know how to tag people, I'm too handsome and clever), should tell me!

3. Starmute

Starmute Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015
    It's certainly closer than the prequels, but not exactly the same. For example, the part where Poe attempts to escape (around 20-30 seconds long) doesn't appear in the soundtrack.

4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Disney put up the film version of the track(s) on their FYC site

Jedi Daniel and Darkslayer like this.
  5. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    I instantly noticed the difference in sound of the main theme and it has grown on me. In my mind, I like to justify everything because it's simply art. TFA happens 30 years later and I would not have found it very magical at all if they just simply used recordings from the OT or PT to fill it in simply to make it all sound the same. I know they did that to the Prequels, but TFA is part of a completely new Trilogy. Having a new recording of the main theme though it may sound a little different and a little crisper should be considered a good thing, imho.

TFA soundtrack at first felt like a little letdown, but first impressions are not always accurate. I listened to it again and I find myself enjoying it and having it added to my soundtrack collection of the other SW films.The last time John William's recorded a cue for Han and Leia, I was not even born yet. I keep finding magic in everything I'm hearing in the soundtrack.

6. Ryan Hunt

Ryan Hunt Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 11, 2013
  7. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    This hasn't been talked about, so maybe it's just my brain messing with me, but in Rey's Theme there are two different parts: one of them is very light while the other has a bit of a marching rhythm. Could JW be laying this idea that this march (I don't know if that's the proper word. It just sounds march-y to me.) could be developed into a dark side theme like Vader's Theme? I noticed this in one of my listens and thought the idea of having two sides to Rey's Theme to show the light and dark in her was fascinating. I have a paltry musical education so I thought I'd ask people who know what they're talking about.

Sarge and Oakessteve like this.
  8. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I've got no music education whatsoever, but I am going to listen to it again with that in mind! Also, I like your signature, so there.

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I do think it has a darker section to it. I like to think we will see more in the ST that the Force needs a balance, even within an individual user. Maybe the Jedi were not 100% correct in how they used the force. The Sith certainly were not.

10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998

=D= Very nice!

I see BB-8 is also enjoying your interpretations. Does he tip well? :bb8:

11. Ryan Hunt

Ryan Hunt Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks! Unfortunately he doesn't, he just wanted the publicity associated with the video!

12. JayDubya

JayDubya Jedi Master

Dec 30, 2006
    I've got no musical education but the more I listen to it, the more I think Williams has incorporated hints of other themes into Rey's Theme. He's already been recently quoted confirming that the Force Theme is in there but I'm sure I can also hear slight hints of both Vaders Imperial March Theme and Luke's Theme. How intentional the hint of these other two themes are though, who knows?

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I still wonder about the familiarity of the beginning of Finn's Confession. Sounds just like High Council Meeting from TPM.

14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The music for the final duel is growing on me considerably. Far more-so than the prequels, it acts as the culmination of the thematic ideas of the movie, rather than just pulling a "BIG EPICK CHOIRE SONG!!!" out of nowhere to wow the audience. It's what something like the Yoda/Sidious should have had (rather than a note-for-note regurgitation of "Duel of the Fates").

I'm not sure about that either. It's so blatant that I assume it would have to be intentional but you never know. It's still a lovely variation of the idea and serves the scene very well at least.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I did enjoy the score for TFA quite a bit. IMO Rey's theme ranks up there with the best, as does the March of the Resistance! Fantastic stuff. It's possible that these two specific themes are now in my top 10.

Anyway, one thing I enjoyed most was the fact that there wasn't too much rehashing of old themes. I was glad to hear familiar motifs in just the right spots, but it wasn't grossly overdone (like in IJ Kingdom...crystal Skull). There was some really original stuff in here. And I was glad to see some new instrument sounds used-like the chime/bell sound used in Rey's theme, and a seemingly heavier use of woodwinds. I love that. The OT used string melodies prominently, the PT was unique for its use of choral voices, and now (apparently) a heavier use of winds for the ST. Hopefully that's consistent thru all of the ST.

Another thing I enjoyed about the score was that certain parts of it (especially the main themes) were somewhat reminiscent of the Harry Potter score-which is still my favorite!

Not my favorite soundtrack overall, (I think this would be either AOTC or ESB) but still fantastic. A solid entry by JW to the SW saga!

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I wish they would just make the complete soundtrack available for all seven movies. A couple of noticeable missing cues are when Han tells Rey and Finn about the Jedi and when Han and Chewie take their first walk through of the Falcon.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    There's already complete soundtracks for the original trilogy. I'm not aware of any music in the film that's missing.

18. Wind Rider

Wind Rider Jedi Knight

Dec 28, 2015
    The more I listen to the soundtrack, the more I realize that Williams has entered a more mature phase. March of the Resistance really reminds me of some of Beethoven's later works. At this point, for me, John has completed his craft as a composer. The music for this movie could have been released as a stand alone album and I would still buy it.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I guess I was referring more to AOTC and ROTS. I am pretty sure there is stuff missing from TFA's soundtrack too.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, do you have the bootleg for ROTS? It's almost entirely complete, though a few tracks do have traces of sound effects from the film. Also, have you seen the FYC website that Disney put up with extra music from TFA?

Jedi Knight Fett and Darkslayer like this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I've managed to get pretty much the whole score for both. I don't know how to get the tracks on the Disney site though.

22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
  24. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

At the 2:36 mark Rey's theme played backward sounds like the Imperial March :)

25. Qui-Gon Gin

Qui-Gon Gin Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    The soundtrack overall was very good. It gave off a very "The war is far from over" feel. So of course it's going to have a dread feel. I love Rey's theme as it gives a balance of you don't know where her path is going to go.

Force Smuggler likes this.