main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Note that it's older people who didn't grow up with the OT. That's a marked difference. If you didn't grow up with them, you just won't appreciate the boundaries that the first two films broke. This is what we have to deal with: film critics with no sense of history.

That's not comparable at all. One person made the Queen's English into his personal identity, the other did not but affected it for a space opera movie. Watch any interview with Guinness. Dawkins-avant-la-lettre, even more nasal. Watch a McGregor interview. Scottish bloke.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I believe the correct term, SuperWatto, is "manky Scots git"

SuperWatto likes this.
  3. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    He's a good actor with great charisma, but that gets kind of muffled under the beard and the wig and the Jedi robes and the fake posh accent.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    My favorite Rey theory I read now is that she is both Luke's daughter and Obi-Wan's granddaughter. Satine and Obi had a love child, Sabine. Luke and Sabine hooked up and Rey was the result.

Covers both bases!

dp4m and Rylo Ken like this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Frieda please. Why.

You know it upsets me.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Luke and a dead woman are Rey's parents.

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015

I admire people who watch the Clone Wars and think they're important to the saga.

8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    It's like that whole EU wipe went straight over their heads, like the Starkiller beam

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000

Wouldn't that be reason enough?

10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You had to edit it? The deadpan delivery made my day! :D

11. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    But it came across mean on a second read.

12. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Mean is what made it funny.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  13. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hi Frieda

From what I can infer, you edited the post to soften the blow.

However the post was directed at me.

This decision is at best, incongruous. Please reconsider, as your target is a massive bell end who deserves it.

Regards

Enderz

Healer_Leona and tom like this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Again, it's interesting what people's thoughts are when Game of Thrones is mentioned. The TV show is just more than rape and violence. If it were just that it wouldn't have lasted more than a season.

And yes, I did say Games of Thrones because it's more widely known than A Song of Ice and Fire.

And yes, Star Wars is known for its high fantasy. However times have changed and audiences have been more sophisticated, which is why Nolan's Dark Knight is a far cry from Schumacher's Batman. There should be a Star Wars series that expands the franchise to a Game of Thrones type level of story telling and character development. I'm not sure why there people want to pigeon hole Star Wars into being only one certain thing.

And come on, you know there wasn't any real "intrigue" in the prequels and the talking was mostly exposition. A Star Wars story deserves a GRRM like treatment.

16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Fine I edited the edit. lol

Darth Punk , SuperWatto and Ender Sai like this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jesus SSP, move on. We're talking about me now.

EDIT: Frieda, that's so much better. I'm going to unlike it, and then like it again.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, same as usual? Got it.

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No, Star Wars should not get an ASOIAF treatment (a GoT treatment would just make it dumb and incoherent). No. While ASOIAF isn't a complete deconstruction of high fantasy tropes, one of its central themes is basically "hey, feudalism is a stupid system and the nobility focus on their petty dynastic squabbles that don't matter to 99% of the population while there's a real existential threat on the horizon." (It's almost as though fiction can be a reflection of the real world.) Apply this same sensibility to Star Wars and, well, you'll have dying Stormtroopers crying for their mothers and the galaxy's other species asking why humans get to do everything.

Ender Sai likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I for one look forward to episodes in which tax disputes are resolved.

Darth Punk likes this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think one of the allures of a tv series as opposed to a film is that it does allow the space to develop more fleshed out three-dimensional characters. however you don't need mature r-rated elements or a grimdark dystopian setting to accomplish this.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pft, I read them for story. :p

Eh. Look at WEG -- they recognized that the setting was characterized by both frontier and civilized settings. The trilogy took place out on the frontiers, but WEG created and populated a galactic core where intrigue was the norm and it used it as a setting for gameplay and storytelling. It did this because I wanted to create a living, breathing galaxy.

Just as you note the EU needed to get away from the Big Three and movie characters, Star Wars can't always focus on the frontier. In fact, it's very much about the interaction of the core and court (Tarkin, Vader, Leia) with the frontier (Luke, Han, the Rebellion in general). That's built into the setting, and it's part of high fantasy. You have Camelot just as you have the battlefields.

There's room to tell different kinds of stories, and that's what the EU (and the spinoff films) are for. Otherwise, if we just have the same movie over and over again, we risk Wocky being right and we get a Marvel Star Wars instead.

There's a difference between doing it wrong (e.g., making an ASOIAF style story like this guy is saying) and doing a different kind of story. Intrigue has its place.

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    "Marvel Star Wars".

[​IMG]

soitscometothis likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Official Story Behind the Stormtrooper Fans Have Dubbed TR-8R

[​IMG]