main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V THE FORCE AWAKENS - The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 15, 2015.

1. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    My abiding memory of the Dark Nest trilogy is Alema Rar getting progressively more disfigured and crippled throughout the three books.

And Jaina accidentally killing a sentient creature being played as comedy.

It's sick, sick stuff.

Edit: Oops, responding to older posts.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The chancellor is non-human. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What about the rest of the senate?

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They're dead. Have some respect.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Guys I think we've been unfair to Kylo Ren. Why isn't Vader choking out officers that may or not deserve it (Needa) not a tantrum? At least Ren only takes his anger out on inanimate objects.

Jedi Princess, Ghost, Vthuil and 8 others like this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I do remember Dark Nest had the beginning of the Jedi-as-antiheroes business. Just the sheer "I don't care" about Alema Rar's corruption.

8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    And Leia was all "i'm going to brutally kick your *** , Alema, for trying to seduce my husband!!"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I just want to say that something I noticed when I watched TFA a second time is that Maz's castle have a large statue of her, or one od her species on its roof, that was a fun detail :)

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Actually this is an interesting point--as much as he idolizes Vader he's not a wanton murderer.

Jedi Princess, Kylun and Ulicus like this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    There is also an Abednedo senator and Cadovant senator in that scene, so two aliens plus the Chancellor.

There are undoubtedly plenty of alien senators in the New Republic Senate. Sure, I wish that JJ included a Mon Calamari, Twi-lek, and Duros senator, but that scene is not intended to represent the entire Galactic Senate, just a few members on a balcony.

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    CooperTFN read your ETE article regarding Rey.

It's funny because that's . . . exactly what I wanted Kylo to be. Not Snoke's kid, but his creation. Explained the obsession with Vader (he's the "earlier model" / "elder brother") without inflicting a horrific LotF-class tragedy on the Skysolo clan. Alas.

Though I can't imagine them going down that route without also doing the "surprise, it's Plagueis" reveal. It'd fit too neatly to pass up.

And, while you're right that there would have been no more perfect time to reveal "Luke, I am your daughter" than the end of this film . . . I almost feel as though they're intentionally leaving themselves room to make stuff up on the fly. In the same way that Vader wasn't Luke's father when ANH was written.

So maybe they'll see your idea and run with it. :p

Kylun and CooperTFN like this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And what a balcony it was. My kingdom for a high res shot of the Hosnian scenes so that I can ogle the architecture.

It's no Coruscant, but it's a Core World using modern effects. I want to see more dangit.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Princess, Kylun, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  14. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    He does order several villagers killed. Perhaps when Phasma said "Sir, the villagers..." Kylo Ren thought, "What would Vader do? I know! He would execute the villagers!"

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It just occurred to me that Kylo Ren's backstory is basically a tragic retelling of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.*

Absolutely, but they're "the enemy" and beside the point being made, here. RE: casually murdering his own men.

* I feel like this must have already come up, as it's too perfect.

16. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

It is a tantrum but Vader at that point in his life was less...expressive than he was before the lava bath. So most people don't recognize it for what it is.

Dinos4Ever and Gamiel like this.
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Except Vader would have done it himself. :p

I didn't want to say as much in the thing since it was enough to swallow on its own, but yeah, it works veeeery easily with the Plagueis theory.

Ulicus and Cynda like this.
  18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Now, this is a story all about how
    My life got flipped-turned upside down
    And I'd like to take a minute
    Just sit right there
    I'll tell you how I became legit as Lord Darth Vader's Heir.

In some snotty planet born and raised
    At the Senate hall was where I spent most of my days
    Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
    And all shootin some grav-ball outside of the school
    When a couple of knights who were up to no good
    Started making trouble in my neighborhood
    I got in one little chat and my mom got scared
    She said 'You're movin' with your Uncle Luke out who knows somewhere.'

I begged and pleaded with her day after day
    But she packed my suit case and sent me on my way
    She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket.
    I put my Jedi Robes on and said, 'I might as well kick it'.

Force Powers?, yo where have I been?.
    I can read minds better than Qui-Gon Jinn!.
    Is this what the people of Jedi living like?
    Hmmmmm this might be alright.

But wait I hear they're prissy, boring, all that
    Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
    I don't think so
    I'll see when I get there
    I hope they're prepared for Lord Darth Vader's Heir

Well, one day a shuttle landed and who did came out
    There was creepy old dude with my name written out
    I ain't trying to get in trouble yet
    I just got here
    But, whatevs, I killed 'em all and like lightning, disappeared

I took off for a shuttle and when it came near
    The license plate said PHASMA and I saw Chrome in the mirror
    If anything I could say that this stuff was rare
    But I thought 'Nah, forget it' - 'Hi, I'm Darth Vader's Heir!'

I pulled up to the Base about 7 or 8
    And I yelled out to Phasma 'Yo cap, smell ya later'
    I looked at my kingdom
    I was finally there
    To sit on my throne as Lord Darth Vader's Heir.

19. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

A weird Plagueis/Sidious/Vader dark hybrid of DOOM. Just watch when we learn that that blue light that enveloped Vader following Sidious' fall?
    [​IMG]
    Also came upon Sidious at the moment he killed Plagueis. That Sidious actually had a Plagueis spirit!virus that he was infected with, and, well, passed on. Like a... plague. At the death of the former Master, the Apprentice literally received his knowledge and power in the form of his Dark Energy.
    [​IMG]

Historically, from what has been reinforced in the New Canon, A Dark Side Spirit can generally only cling onto an object with power, and essence of concentrated hate, and fear - not remain its own personality as a living autonomy, or a living person.

See the Sith Helmet in LANDO that was able to posess the Cat Twins with hate and murderous rage
    [​IMG]

, and also the spectre of DARTH BANE's fear and hate anchored to his tomb/remains.
    [​IMG].

Consider if Plagueis took this ability to the next level, but still wasn't completely successful. Sidious may have learned more from Mother Talzin, IE, her ability to control the Green Force Ichor to literally give some of herself to others to maintain life.
    [​IMG]

Could this be a reason for some of Sidious' desire to kidnap force babies? To practice transference?

Anyway, combine all this with the traditional failures of Sith Personality Retention, and consider a new success.

Sidious killed Hego Damask, but Darth Plagueis lived on in some vacuous form in Sidious. Sidious wants to do the same.

The Force does NOT like this.

Also consider:

Even lightside ghosts go through trial and error. According to Filoni, Yoda and Qui-Gon's teacher manifested in multiple aspects of their personality rather than a single unified being.
    [​IMG]

Hmm. A single being fractured into multiple aspects of their personality? And with possible Dark Influence Hitchhikers?
    [​IMG]

Basically, there's a lot of interesting material in the new canon about the nature of light/dark personality retention past death. I would be disappointed if the ST didn't further this exploration in some way. Above is just a fun brainstorm.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  20. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015
    You know, reading the latest Kanan comic and I noticed this. Can't decide if it is a red herring or indicative of something else but:

[​IMG]

Colonel Coburn Sear's burn scar on left side of face matches Snoke's almost exactly. His facial structure matches up enough that he could pass for a younger Snoke. The shape of the right ear matches up. His nose looks like Snoke's could have before being broken. Skin color is close, if not exact. His right eye is even the same color as Snoke's. He even wears a similar outfit.

[​IMG]

Hmmm....[face_thinking]

Ghost and MercenaryAce like this.
  21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    What's his deal?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

22. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015

Kage Warrior and Separatist Colonel.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm hoping that Hosnian Prime is developed more in the pre-TFA literature. It's destruction will have that much more impact if we know more about the world. Kinda like how the more we saw of Alderaan, the more we lamented it's loss in ANH.

I just hope they make it somewhat unique. There are ALOT of populous, cosmopolitan Core Worlds with large cities. I'm hoping it has a unique history, which given it's selection as capital of the New Republic, must be something fairly significant. Maybe it was an early Core World supporter of the New Republic?

Hmm, Lost Stars refers to transmissions coming from the Hosnian System post-Jakku. So it was already a New Republic member as of 1 year post-Endor. Maybe it was a massive Holonet hub? A nexus of trade & communication?

--Adm. Nick

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Coburn Sear?

Oh. Star Wars. Never change.

Interesting, regardless.

25. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I can't entirely hate Dark Nest. It gave me Jedi Leia. And whichever one of you lot is about to start typing about how it wasn't done well or she did weird stuff or ewww Saba? Hush. Listen to me. Jedi Leia.

(Also, I actually still like Invincible. I mean, getting there was a trainwreck, but Invincible itself? Like if they'd just released Invincible, Episode IV style, and none of the books beforehand? I'd've probably have thought wow, man, that series must've been great. Invincible is lean and simple and gets to the point and is the book that comes closest to acknowledging the subtextual stagnation around Luke's character and the way the narrative of the later EU had begun collapsing under its own weight.)