main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2016|December discussion and mini-challenge now up

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    That's good Lazy K and yes it is on the proper board.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am intrigued by that concept.

3. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    My entry for 2016 is up: Captain and Pilot - Part 2. (A continuation of my DDC14 diary, but familiarity with the first part is not necessary to understand Part 2.)

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Just a reminder to everyone, please pm the sock only when you update please and thank you.

when I log into the sock it reminds me on who has updated and who hasn't

Volund Starfire likes this.
  5. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    Index is now updated

if I missed an update or an a thread please let me know thanks

6. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I only have three votes so far and the dead line is fast approaching

please encourage your readers to vote. Do not make me break the tie

[​IMG]

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I put a note in both my diaries. Would it be someting we could do - if not this year, next? At the top of the main fanfiction thread have a sticky saying that voting is going on for DDC - like when major things are happening with the awards there's an announcement at the top.

Falcon likes this.
  8. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I don't care how you do it, just encourage any way to draw attention to the voting process and you can put a note in your current diary and remind them when you complete it that the voting is open to them as well

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    One suggestion: Put "Please vote for your favourite diary of 2015!" in the current thread's title as well. Should help, at least to a certain extent. :)

Kahara likes this.
  10. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Yo,

What is the policy on colab diary entries? Would one post from each writer per month be enough to meet the criteria for the challenge or would both authors have to post an update every two weeks as with individual entries?

Cheers!

11. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I don't think we had two authors work on the same diary before.

This is uncharted territory

NYCitygurl, what is your take on this?

12. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    We thought we would just post in the same thread and change the title/intro blurb to reflect dual authors. Diary entries will be from two different characters allowing us to look at specific events from different angles and follow tangents if we want to.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Ceillean Would love to hear what you have to say to this request.

Like I said,, this hasn't been done in the past and is in uncharted territory.

I think we need to talk about this a little first and set guidelines before giving the go.

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I saw the original reply...and I was about to respond to it, glad that I didn't. This makes more sense.

And wow, gaarastar58, this is a cool idea!

15. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    Haha I can't take any of the credit for it, it was CheckSix who suggested it. We thought it would be a good way of keeping us both on task for the year.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Even better - I'm yet to comment on her story, but from what I've seen, it's masterful!

gaarastar58 likes this.
  17. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    It would be an interesting idea.

I guess the next question would be one post per author or two posts per author? I think since everyone in single diaries has to do two posts per month, I'm thinking two posts per author is fair.

My question to everyone else does this seem fair to everyone or is everyone okay with one post per author if they we do allow a duel author fic?

gaarastar58 likes this.
  18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I know I'm not the mod you called, but, I think it is fair that since two different authors are writing two different people, two updates per author per month would be the fairer way to go. It would be the same amount of work if the two authors just posted them separately (which they could do, but I see why it makes sense to post the diaries together, plus it makes for a unique read).

But since this is uncharted territory, I would see what the other participants this year think.

Falcon likes this.
  19. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    If the diary is contained in two different threads then the 2 post per month is fair, but if it is in a thread on it's own I think so long as at least one of the authors posts twice per month it should be okay, what does everyone else think? Also, for future reference, what if one of the authors' RL takes over and they have to stop? Would the diary be withdrawn from the comp or would the single author simply be allowed to carry on?

I know, I'm just making a nuisance of myself now!

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The rule was, as far as I am aware of, at least two posts per month per diary, so I think two would still make sense. There may be a month where one author writes both entries and such.

21. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    A co-authored diary is still a single diary, and co-writing in my experience is hard work. I think that it should be two posts per diary per month, not two posts per author per month.

22. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I have known some authors to post as many as four posts per month. I know it is possible, but my only concern is do you have enough context for the year?

There would be a lot of planning between you two for the most part behind pms.

There are ways to combine two characters sharing the same diary making comments as they go, that has been done before

if one had to drop out, I would have to think on that one a bit....

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I see your guys' points. My thoughts were from was back when before Ceillean (I believe) was the host, the host before her was very strict about only one character writing in a diary (unless the entry was well explained like a letter glued in the diary), so the '24 updates per character' were heavily implied. So if the co-authors are doing the same character, then I'd would be fine with 24 updates between the two of them.

But, times have changed and I personally believe Falcon has the ultimate call since none of the former hosts are around all that much.

24. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    The Mira and Mirax turned out really well where it was two characters sharing the same diary.

That was uncharted territory at the time.

The next question is this two characters or one?

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    But, and I hate to be pedantic here, I do believe that (if you are thinking of the same diary I am, if we aren't then correct me) the Mara and Mirax diary was almost solely written by Mara, with only one entry by Mirax.