main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Hair in the Star Wars Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darkslayer, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    We had an interesting conversation going in our little community over on the PT board, and I and others thought it would be ripe for exploitation on the saga board. Are there deeper meanings to the hairstyles of Star Wars, and are any potential meanings intentional/significant to the saga?

Let’s take a look at the Anakin

Anakin starts off in TPM with a bowl cut head of hair. He is innocent and carefree.

[​IMG]

Similarly at the end of ROTJ, Luke’s hair seems a bit like Anakin – he has claimed his innocence and innate goodness by refusing the dark side.

[​IMG]

Anakin then transitions to a different style in AOTC, where he is somewhat more of a cocky guy but ultimately has his heart in the right place.

[​IMG]

Look at Commander Cody though – he had a shorter haircut that is somewhat reminiscent of AOTC Anakin, and he boasted to Obi-Wan in ROTS that he had never let him down. However, he was kind of a jerk because he ended up trying to shoot Obi-Wan in the back - but he thought he was doing the right thing!

[​IMG]

Anakin in ROTS has a wavy hairstyle that is emulated by Kylo Ren in TFA. As we know, both of these dudes turn to the dark side.

[​IMG]

Another trend: classy guys tend to have classy looking hair. Just look at Dooku

[​IMG]

And Obi-Wan

[​IMG]

Also, bald dudes tend to be evil in Star Wars. Just look at Darth Vader and Darth Maul!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But then, we cannot forget the shiny dome of Master Windu:

[​IMG]

Truly a conundrum.

So, individually, I think you could dismiss these as coincidences. Together however, they form what I would say to be a surprisingly-entertaining discussion topic! What say ye, saga fourm!

2. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    It would be remiss of us to forget the beautiful Queen of Naboo/Senator Padme Amidala when discussing hair styles in the SW saga. What her hair symbolizes, I have no idea! Why I am posting here, I don't know! Supporting my friend Darkslayer and some of our friends in the PT/TFA thread, I reckon.
    Also, I have a crush on Padme, so there is that. :)

[​IMG]
    Defending Naboo against the evil TF.
    [​IMG]
    Searching for replacement parts for her ship in Mos Espa with Master Qui-Gon.
    [​IMG]
    In discussion with Anakin. Why is he having nightmares?
    [​IMG]
    The inspiration for her daughter's hair style in ANH?

3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Bald seems to be the pathway to power for the blokes ( Yoda and Sids were fairly thin on top too), whereas stupid seems to scream authority for the ladies.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Potentially the best topic ever?

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Moving this here, spoiler since it is TFA related

I have to disagree that it hints at a privileged upbringing in the Core since many cultures put great emphasis on hair. Be they privileged or pore, "advanced" or "barbaric".

There is also an clothing and fashion thread in Lit if you are interested http://boards.theforce.net/threads/clothes-and-fashion-in-the-galaxy-far-far-away.50015412/

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And then there's Chewie...

You know what they say about guys with big hair, right?

They have really big shampoo bottles.

7. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Messy hair don't care.

[​IMG]

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

Best long hair in the saga!

9. Evening Star

Dec 18, 2015
    Thanks to Pensivia for reminding me about this scene in the other thread. The lightsaber gets in the way though.

[​IMG]

10. Evening Star

Dec 18, 2015
    I think this is Luke's best haircut in the saga.

[​IMG]

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone annoyed that a lightsaber was in the picture :p

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This is potentially the fabbest thread of all time.

And now.... Lol embarrassing confession time

The year was 2005, I was a bizarre 7 year old who would not stop watching ROTS and was (and still am!) a huge fan of Anakin
    So I sort of styled my hair after his for a couple years....
    I wouldn't go back to it with what I have today, but damn did I rock the mullet style

13. Evening Star

Dec 18, 2015
    The bangs are more important. Some one should remove the lightsaber in photoshop.[face_dancing]

14. Evening Star

Dec 18, 2015
    I have a somewhat similar confession. For my sister's wedding in 2002 I had my hair done like Padme's (minus the hair band and the sexy outfit).

[​IMG]

15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Nothing to be embarrassed about. Padme has some pretty beautiful hairstyles throughout the PT!

16. Evening Star

Dec 18, 2015
    Because I love the little guy so much, here's Yoda fixing his hair in ROTS.

[​IMG]

17. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

Holy crap, we're the same age! :eek: Same here honestly. I've had long hair since 3rd grade because of Anakin. Lol. My last haircut was in August and I only got 2 inches off. Ha. My hair naturally curls upward so I never had to style it. Lol.

18. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I think he's trying to work a bit of a comb over there actually.

19. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Give me 4 weeks, and I'll be military age. If I wasn't epileptic, thank frig

Unfortunately, my hair just doesn't have the same type of curling when it gets long. It just ends up looking like a duck's tail. Le sigh

Deliveranze likes this.
  20. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

I get the duck's tail too. :p I have to wait at least 4 months until it starts curling. Lol

21. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I had acute hair envy when Kylo Ren took his mask off. These days mine's heading more in the direction of Han Solo's!

22. Evening Star

Dec 18, 2015
    Kylo Ren seriously has to make a "How I style my hair" video. Girls could learn something too.

23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Forget Monopoly and action figures. The Kylo Ren styling kit is the way to go with merchandising.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, Kylo is trying to make all the other Disney princesses jealous with those pretty pretty locks.

Pensivia, teamhansolo, Tonyg and 5 others like this.
  25. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I am not afraid in the slightest to admit that Kylo's hairstyle is deathly attractive

26. Evening Star

Dec 18, 2015
    When the Blu-ray comes out, this thread will be flooded with Kylo's screenshots, I guarantee it.