main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This, basically. I was as cynical as the rest until I saw them speak at SWCA and could notice the obvious care for the franchise. JJ and Kasdan too I think.

With KK at the helm, I think SW is in great hands.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Merkurian and solojones like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Why are people proud of this.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Because it's good? And I can't help if you have no taste. I mean, look at your favorite Bond films!

solojones and Bacon164 like this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wait, you know ROTS is Revenge of the Sith right?

I just ask because you said it was good - I know you meant Return of the King.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  5. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Revenge Of The Sith was too little, too late. Sure, it began some promising character and story development, but it was the final episode. The relationship between Palpatine and Skywalker should have been established in episode one with an early twenties Anakin.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Return of the King is an overlong, too-stuffed piece of film that ends too many times. It has some admittedly awesome moments within the film like, y'know, Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace but it's not at the same level as, say, The Fellowship of the Ring...

JoinTheSchwarz and Bacon164 like this.
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Can you seriously not understand the power of nostalgia? Really? You like old Bond films (and so do I), and mostly they are not good movies. But we have nostalgia for them and the type of movies they are.

I specifically said liking them didn't mean they were good. And the PT certainly has lots of stuff that not even nostalgia can cover (like the fact that AotC is just plain boring and lacking sense until the end). But again, there is nostalgia and certain entertaining aspects I liked as a kid (lightsabre fights, beautiful worlds, great score, the fact that Obi-Wan is such a wonderful bastard) are still really enjoyable because they remind me of how I felt seeing them when I was younger.

Again, it has nothing to do with quality of the films, but with the power of memory. And soul, which rightly explains why you don't understand.

I've seen massive amounts of stuff with both actors, since they are two of my favorite actors ever. I'm well aware of what they were like (particularly since I read a lot of Sir Alec's journals and his official 800 page biography.... Because nerd :p).

My point is, Ewan is a good actor. He's able to put on the character of Obi-Wan very well. The voice, sure (the inflections without doing an outright impression). The mannerisms, wry little twinkle in his eye, the steadfast quality in the face of an enemy... He does a fantastic job.

My point was merely that knowing Ewan's not English does nothing to detract from the performance, any more than knowing Sir Alec was putting on a persona doesn't detract from the impression of who he was (and I'm soooo glad I could ruin this for you, GrandAdmiralJello).

I mean, you may as well complain that you can't buy Mark Hamill in the films because you've seen interviews and it turns out he's not actually a Space Wizard.

Yeah, that was probably the biggest stretch they had to make. We have to believe that the First Order isn't a big enough deal or close enough for the Republic to fight... So they have to rely on a ragtag Resistance instead? I'll just suspend my disbelief for the sake of fun, but this is transparently a major stretch.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Very similar to something Healer_Leona earlier today that I found. Prepare for a tearjerker. @};-

[​IMG]

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ahhhh angst!

Rew likes this.
  10. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Having read the books, Chewie's very probable past as Ben's babysitter and part-time caretaker (similar as he did for the three EU Solo kids) was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw Ren kill Han and Chewie fire on him. =((

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What EU Solo kids? There are no EU Solo kids...

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think he means in the hack novels.

You know, the ones where Jacen (lol) suddenly flips out and becomes Sith because reasons?

I miss them so much. All those well rounded characters like Jacen, and Jaina who had lots of depth, and RIP Anakin, and um, Saba (SISS, SISS), and Timmy the Jedi, and Tammy the Jedi, and Billy and Bobby the Jedi twins, and Frank the Jedi, and Judy the Jedi, and um.

13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    "Legends" Solo kids then? Whatever you want to call them--you know who I mean. :p

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    IIRC the tipping point was that he found out that some old Sith Lord had been an accountant.

dp4m and Ender Sai like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

James Luceno was actually a really great, just amazing, talented author.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Luceno had nothing to do with that story.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

[​IMG]

18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I have mixed feelings about the old EU. Quite a few stories I really enjoyed (the comics in particular had some gems) while a great many were really bad. On the whole, I think it was for the best that that whole canon was jettisoned.

But for real, though, it was not my intent to start an EU discussion. So let's get back to Chewbacca and Kylo Ren, shall we? [face_coffee]

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The old EU was much better about making large objects fall on people. I miss that the most.

And Sad Mountain second.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I just saw it again for the second time. Definitely enjoyed it more this time around. So, it's not a perfect film. And you know what, so what? What film is? Perfection is unattainable anyway. All I know is, I love the new cast. I love that Star Wars is back. And I want to see where this story is going.

As for all the heathen contrarian nitpickers in this here boards and everywhere, if you can't rejoice that it's a good time to be a SW fan again, well, shut the **** up and get the **** out!

Healer_Leona and FatBurt like this.
  21. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Underwood = Snoke

*fingers crossed*

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But Snoke doesn't talk like Foghorn Leghorn!

DebonaireNerd and Darth Punk like this.
  23. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    There's been, I say, there's been an awakening.

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've felt it.

25. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    DarthInvidious: Actually, I could name at least three hundred films that are utterly perfect--the most popular being the first two Godfathers and Jaws--but I don't think I'd include a SW film (although TESB comes close).

It's nice that people enjoyed the new movie. If there's sour grapes, it's because some of us weren't allowed to enjoy the Prequels in peace for the past decade.