main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ready Player One- book and film discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    [​IMG]

Regrettably, the above is not the cover I possess. I have the other one, with Wade climbing up the stack of RVs.

So who here has read Ready Player One? What did you all think of it? I enjoyed it well enough, and it got to a point where I simply could not put it down. In the end, I'd give it about 3.5 out of 5 stars. I grew pretty tired of all the endless references and callbacks and nostalgia for 80s videogames I've either never heard of or will never play. I also thought some of the characters were a bit stereotypical, especially the Japanese brothers (or were they friends? I haven't read the book in a few years).

Steven Spielberg will direct a film based on the novel, due out the same day as SW Episode VIII, in December 2017. Casting is going on right now. Who do you think would do well in which roles?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I haven't read the book. I'm not sure I'd like it. However, I have heard that it heavily references stuff Spielberg worked on and the director has refused to reference himself in the adaptation. Makes it weird that he agreed to adapt it in the first place.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've not heard positive things. As I understand it's mostly a "nerd culture" wish fulfillment. There's some plot where it just so happens that knowing a bunch of references to sci-fi shows/movies/video games of the 80s and 90s make the protangist incredibly popular and able to save the world. Supporting characters are thinly drawn to glorify the central one. Et cetera

I haven't read personally.

4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I've bought it, haven't read it yet since I have too many Star Wars books still to get through.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Even, you'd hate it. I mentioned some of the characters as being a bit stereotypical, which is too forgiving. The Japanese duo, in particular, were just straight-up, 100% stereotypes.

I think Spielberg is going to depart from the book dramatically. That's actually why I started the thread- I'm excited to see what Spielberg does with the premise of the novel: two opposed forces, fans and players on the one, and a monolithic entity (in this case, the corporation) on the other, vying for control of an entire VR universe. While it's certainly weird that Spielberg won't be making all the assorted Spielbergia references, but still picked up the project, I think what drew him to this book is that VR seems to be reaching some kind of critical mass in popular culture, with the Oculus, the success of this book, among other things.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg just dispenses with the whole scavenger hunt premise.

Wocky, I heard it described (after I had already read it) as "Twilight for nerds," which does come close to describing it well, although it does do RPO a disservice, since it's marginally better written than Twilight, albeit still with a Gary Stu as the main character and rather cliché supporting characters.

6. ojisan

ojisan Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
    I read the book... Loved it, couldn't put it down.
    I am reading his next novel at the moment

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Also very much enjoyed the book. looking forward to seeing what they do with the film.

8. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I loved the book. I hope the movie is decent. :D

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    now we have a specific thread, i'll stick the link to the open casting call up again here: http://readyplayeronemoviecasting.com/

if you're a thesp, and fit the descriptions (or know someone who does), the character breakdowns for the open call are:

WADE WATTS: 18-19 yrs old, male, clean cut with a sense of humor, overweight or underweight. A sincere and passionate player in the Oasis. Not the most confident guy outside the Oasis, but Wade gains boldness & nerve as his worlds collide. He uses his skills & the support of his friends to rise above each challenge.

SHOTO: 10-13 yrs old, male, to play Chinese, hip & knowing for his age. He speaks MANDARIN AND English FLUENTLY. Wade's friend in the Oasis who joins with him to complete the competition. Please note: Actor should be bilingual: Mandarin and English (Applications must be submitted by parent or legal guardian if applicant is under 18 years of age).

DAITO: 20 yrs old, male, to play Japanese. Speaks JAPANESE AND English FLUENTLY. One of Wade's friends in the Oasis who joins with him to complete the competition. Please note: Actor should be bilingual: Japanese and English.

10. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I liked the idea of the thread but it's poorly executed overall. Nerd fantasy doesn't begin to describe it.

*I wrote thread there but now I have no idea what that word was supposed to be.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's a pretty awful book, cliched BS. If it changes alot, the film might be good.

12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It's not the best written book ever but I did enjoy it and thought it was a fun nostalgia trip, I'd imagine if you weren't familiar with at least some of the source material it would be a bit more difficult to get into. The movie will certainly have to cut out some of the pop culture references, and that is a good thing. At times in the book it did feel like Cline was just showing off his knowledge of 80's pop culture more than putting useful material into the story.

Diggy likes this.
  13. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I agree with the general sentiment about the book in here. I don't understand what the movie would even be about if they took out the scavenger hunt, though.

dp4m likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They are? So it's Ready Player One in name only?

15. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I was responding to this.

Diggy likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Gotcha.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I really liked the book, but I'm in the age-bracket and nerd-cred group genetically disposed to like the book.

My main concern is the casting. They're gonna make the people "too pretty." Olivia Cooke has already been cast as Art3mis, for example. I have no confidence they'll be true to Aech's... character.

Another issue is rights clearance. I imagine it will be very similar to the person who had to get all of the music clearance for Moulin Rouge ("You want what?!? Son of a *****!!!"), to try and get all of the clips, but if they do the (IIRC?) WarGames scene verbatim, I'd dig it.

18. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I was thinking out loud last night, and after giving it more thought, I think the scavenger hunt aspect will actually be retained, because it gives the "saving-the-(fake)-world" storyline a rather novel skeleton around which to tell this very old story.

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Have you ever seen a Spielberg movie? They're all scavenger hunts.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Is this about some kid who grows really, really long legs?

[​IMG]

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Honestly, you disappoint me. RPO looks like Snow Crash For Dummies, and I'd have thought the former's smart take on internet culture and a dissolved United States would have appealed to you more, given we're similar in age and everything about RPO just makes me say "why, no, thank you."

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    seriously though i read this excerpt and could not stop laughing:

[​IMG]

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Could be from the novel, could be from a fan fic thread. Unable to discern based on that level of arse.

26. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Reads like a JCC post. And not in a good way.