main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

That's a fair point and I agree with it. JB said, he wanted to play Finn the way he thought real heroism ought be be portrayed, which is more than admirable and new to SW.

But when the "didn't see" phenomenon meets an ill-formed, racially charged question, the hairs on my neck stand on end.

frail47 and zero_point_zero like this.
  2. zero_point_zero

zero_point_zero Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    I'm also fascinated with the sociological aspects of shipping, but yeah I'm not fooling myself into thinking a large part of the viewing audience for SW cares about many of the subjects we pull our hair out over here. As far as the reaction to the potential romantic pairings, yeah I think that why most people would be ok with Finnrey, it's already established that theres chemistry, it's simple to explain, it doesn't rely on convoluted plot machinations to be credible, and it would fit nicely into the established naarative.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I kind of don't think JB and DR's roles will change that much (perhaps just expand a bit). Because they likely already have critical/big roles. OI is the one who likely benefits from this the most. They rewrote TFA to leave him alive, Poe is getting his own comic book, and now this. Personally:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/da210eca1b8e2b36f57da0c7fb72d8a2/tumblr_nrti9imxsr1qiaxzfo2_500.jpg

http://www.nothinguncut.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/star-wars-force-awakens-cast.jpg

Give me some of this adorableness (lightsaber optional) onscreen. It'd be a shame for them not to interact all together at some point.

4. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Not to mention that Finn is one of the few heroes out there that admits to being scared. When people go to their movies they tend to want to escape. So some thing the normal guy shouldn't get the girl, it should be the tough skilled good guy or the bad boy who can be reformed by the love of a good woman .
    It doesn't help that Rey is a fairly unique character so people deify her to the point where someone like Finn will never be good enough for someone like her.

5. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

100%.

I believe, because of its purposeful ambiguity, TFA will be interpreted differently when viewers see the next installment. That which is opaque will be clear. TFA on the level of film grammar and staging is - sorry to be heteronormative - boy-meets-girl by the numbers. JB's choices as an actor (palpable need to overcome fear) and JJ's reflexive use of the partially-unrequited male love interest (Rey's reaction shots are very mild early on, probably to avoid her appearing too smitten) might have structurally buried some of the more blatant cues.

Developmentally, Rey and Finn are teens; thus, embarking on very unfamiliar territory, which is why Chewie and Han periodically have to chime in to give context to what is happening.

Had the actors been thirteen years old (Lucas's original story involved FS children), the romantic underpinnings of their behavior would have fit better into the general audience's model of young love and not brother sister or platonic.

6. pupuce

pupuce Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 10, 2016

And it's impossible because the eps 8 big twist :

Phasma : FN2187 I'm your mother.

Finn . :phasma:

LOL

7. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    If it's just *screen time* we're concerned about...well, there's nothing to worry about; Boyega is gonna be involved with SW for a very long time, as will Ridley. I think that Driver dies at the end of 9. Isaac...I'm unsure of. He seems to have the biggest opportunities right now...but unlike Ford, he seems to *love* this franchise...so I kinda think that he's the type that will stay for as long as they want him. I'm not as certain about his character's future though....he wasn't sacrificed in 7 as originally planned, you kinda have to assume that he's on borrowed time (And, his 1930's styled, strong-jawed, good-guy, optimist characterization seems to make him prime suspect for a big sacrifice at some point).

8. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    An IR family :eek:
    [​IMG]

9. rhymecheat

rhymecheat Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Ahhh, I finally figured out who these two remind me of: Simba and Nala.

This has been killing me for weeks!

When they reunite after being separated as kids, Tímon says:
    "I can see whats happening... And rhey dont have a clue". Their ship has already sailed

Also Simba says: "How to make her see... The truth about my past? Impossible! She would turn away from me..."

This has been killing me, I knew I've seen this exact situation before loool

10. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016

That's my concern although Poe is a great character. Finn can't fulfill his potential as a male lead with Poe being the hyper skilled and flawless 'big brother'. And he's too fully formed and idealized to have an interesting character arc on his own, imo.

Forgotten Cade likes this.
  11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Not necessarily. We haven't seen enough of him to know for sure yet. Plus, the guy got captured in his very first scene, broke under Kylo's Force torture, and needed Finn to help him bust out. Hardly "flawless" I'd say.

zero_point_zero likes this.
  12. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

I think most people have made it very clear that they like finnxrey because of how much chemistry the two actors have. Also, the movie sets them up for a romantic relationship. I totally relate to people not wanting the story to do things for the sake of "checking a box". Its only when people ignore whats on screen and then turn around and reduce finnrey to a sjw wet dream, that i begin to suspect racial anxieties in a person. That said, if they brought in some new girl (white or otherwise) for VIII in order to be finn's love interest, i'd call foul. Itd be a pretty weak story movie. Not nearly as weak as having rey get with kylo, but still weak, nonetheless.

13. Obiwan10

Obiwan10 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    ^ That's the only thing I am afraid off, for sure their will be a romance story in 8, but it could be with this new female character, it would be weak imo not to mention it devalues kinda of what happened between Finn and Rey in tfa, although ik it was romantic necessarily, but it was leading on that.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

14. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    its the new age where people want to be able to be racist or display an sort of anxieties they have, but not be ridiculed because of it. People say/do/deliberately imply something blatantly racist, but then become extremely offended when people call them racist.

everyone who doesn't like it because it would be an interracial union, yes those people are racist. You keep speaking of story, as if finnrey is something thats pulled out of the air. At this point, if someone says that they think finnrey is just a pandering move, i'd have to wonder what movie they watched. FinnRey is the most obvious pairing. People didn't walk out and think "gee, i want the black guy and the white girl to get together, time to start a ship.". When someone trying to pretend that that is the case, i have to wonder about the person.

Its likely that Rey is luke's kid. If Finn and Rey knock boots, there's the skywalker line continued right there.
    [​IMG]

15. Carl Rahl

Carl Rahl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    So apparently the "new" characters that where going to be introduce are being written down to the point that they are almost not there, most of their stuff is being given to Poe. So it's Poe who is getting the upgrade. I think he is safe NOW.

16. Tharionn

Tharionn Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2015
    Nicely chosen gif. Those David Blaine parodies were a riot.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Blastaar likes this.
  17. rhymecheat

rhymecheat Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Interesting...
    If Poe is "out running errands" does that mean Finn goes through Ep8 "alone"?

Also, source for what you just said?

18. SandStorm06

SandStorm06 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    ^^ What's the source? I don't believe it. I didn't think Poe was supposed to die in the next episode anyway because they must have kept him alive for some reason but these speculations are getting ridiculous. I am about 90% sure that he will continue to be a charming supporting character. The new characters were supposed to hang around with Finn, if the chemistry reading bit was true. So they probably never had much of a role to begin with and people just overestimated their roles because they hoped for alternative love interests for Finn thereby successfully breaking up Finn/Rey. I don't believe any of the speculations.
    At the most, there will probably be some increased focus on Poe, but nothing beyond that.

19. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    Fair enough, but in terms of perception, Poe is the quintessential hero type.

20. Tharionn

Dec 24, 2015
    Guys let's just kill Poe and leave Finn the coma for the next two movies.

Blastaar and StormScavenger like this.
  21. StormScavenger

StormScavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2015

LOL! I know we have a better chance of seeing Kylo/Hux on screen of any of this happening but...

To add more to that twist, while badly hurt and trying to escape Phasma, Finn also has to hear this:

Phasma : "Also, son...Obi Wan Kenobi was my father."

Finn :

[​IMG]

rhymecheat and pupuce like this.
  22. SandStorm06

SandStorm06 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    Lol yeah, that's what the "I am not racist but.." member is saying. Basically, nobody matters apart from Kylo for them and they need to live vicariously through Rey. Interesting homoerotic patterns, if you ask me. :p Also lol @ "a lot of people want Kylo/Rey together"- yeah, delusional Tumblrinas. Even the most sane Reylos know how important Finn is to Rey and the grand narrative, except for one particularly lunatic flop lmao.

rhymecheat and Tharionn like this.
  23. Tharionn

Dec 24, 2015
    Yeah you saw what was posted over there lol

24. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    How do you know that? Seriously? o_O 2 + 2 = 5 ?

25. StormScavenger

StormScavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2015
    Right. I assume they're inserting Poe in scenes with Finn instead of the new character(s). Fine with me. Sounds like Poe will have a little more of a role in the plot, but still not as much as Rey/Finn.

Yeah, because it's all about Rey and Kylo. Finn and Poe were just in the way. Kylo is the true co-lead. Not Finn. Finn was only put in Kylo's place until he was slashed into a coma as a red herring to trick those stupid fans into thinking he was an important character, just like they did with the red herring light saber. In VIII, we'll see Kylo revert back to Ben because of Rey's true love of Ben preventing him from turning to the dark side, and then in IX, they'll take Snoke down together and live happily ever after.