main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    So, has anyone found a source for this yet? I mean, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, but...

2. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Exactly

3. SandStorm06

SandStorm06 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    None. It's bogus and all random speculations. I looked for it, found nothing. The podcast that birthed these rewriting rumours only speaks of "an increased focus on Rey/Finn and Poe. Not any single character. I mean, that was to be expected, right? Kylo's story is almost done, identity-wise, they shouldn't have revealed his identity so early. It's only Rey's story which is still very mysterious. So naturally, there will be focus on her, she is the hero. What was Disney thinking?There are also rumours of Disney toning down the darkness in Rian's script, but that's all speculations.

turnip white likes this.
  4. Deerborne

Oct 15, 2015
    I actually don't really understand the sour reaction to it. It seems pretty plausible. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I never thought those roles were extremely relevant to the plot, so giving Poe their scenes (on top of what he already has, which is likely pretty substantial considering the fan reaction to him) seems like a good idea. Obviously Rey and Finn will still have far more screen time, as this is more their story than his, but it just seems to me like they're trying to establish our trio a little more, which, if I understand correctly, was the entire point of the rewrite.

5. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    Am not sour, if I was been sour it would be a lot worse [face_laugh] Am just a little confused and was backing up what you were saying. I agree its more than likely Poe's role will be beefed up but from the sounds of the news leaks, the bulking up of characters was not contained to one singular character. :)

6. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Alright serious question then. I have two students in one of my class that don't ship Finn/Rey for a very specific reason. Both are ladies in their late teens early twenties and both are black. I asked them as to why it was that they don't ship this pairing, or at least like it in a romantic sense. The first one told me flat out that she feels it's another case of Hollywood driving the idea that only a white woman can get together with a male black lead and that Rey, as a character was dropped in there so that they didn't have to deal with two PoC leads (Jessica Henwick was set to play Rey before they went with Daisy) and that, for her she feels that, if Star Wars really wanted to prove things, or at least be serious about showcasing a mix of actors, then they should have not had a white female lead at all, and should have went with another race to play Rey over Daisy.

The other young lady said she just didn't like the pairing because to her it felt forced. Or at least it feels forced to her in that, she thinks people are trying to put them together because they want the pretty white girl with the handsome black guy. Her issue is that there's not enough of the reverse where the male white lead is with the black girl, and that the audience is expected to pair Finn and Rey, rather then give the audience choices as to who he gets to be with. Such as not showing him with any other female at all in the movie, save for Leia who's too old.

Both she and the first student then stated that they felt it was odd that the movie didn't allow for Rey to interact with anyone other then Finn or Han, and that the first one felt that they were pushing the issue like "These two have to get together. Oh look how cute they are, don't you just want this thing to happen." rather then have them meet others and grow as characters before they choose to be together, or at least have the audience give other characters a chance. The first one argued that at least with the other two series both Leia and Anakin had at least a few years between films to get to know both Han and probably Padme before taking the leap into falling in love with them. In the case of Leia, she pointed out, that it took 3 years before she even gave Han the time of day, where as, in her mind, too many people are projecting the idea of Rey and Finn falling in love with each other so quickly. She questions the reason behind it, and said that, until they give Finn some time with other people to see if there's any other character out there for him, she's not shipping anyone with him, as she feels that Rey is too much of a blank slate to be seen as a fully developed Love interest for someone as, and I quote,

So I'm wondering, how does one respond to that in regard of the two characters?

endar spire and Berhan like this.
  7. Tharionn

Tharionn Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2015
    I've bolded and lined up my response.

1. That's just a sistah projecting. She's mad simply because it's the whole "white women taking our black man" syndrome. Nothing new. If you were black, you'd hear it so often lol. In a nutshell I'd call that borderline ignorance or even prejudice. But they are coming from the same insecurities.

2. A white female lead is just as important as a black male lead.

3. The handsome white guy is typically seen way more often and more social acceptable than black man white girl. And it was way too natural to be forced. Not to mention Finn was originally a white guy lol.

4. Han was a cocky, smuggling thief. Finn portrayed himself as member of the resistance. Easier for Rey to get behind that.

8. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    Finn once a ********** always a **********. Not really a blank slate, plus ************ is not an endearing personality trait either. He's an interesting character I'll give you that but he ain't perfect either.

Mav edit: That is on our Disallowed Words list.

9. SandStorm06

SandStorm06 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    ^^ I feel like that is more of a frustration of not being able to see more WOC portrayed as leads in major movies than anything else. I am biracial, White-Asian and I understand this struggle very well. Fandoms tend to be equally eager to separate pairing between a POC and a white favourite than any other pairing. It happens so often that it cannot be brushed off as coincidence anymore. Their frustration for lack of representation is extremely valid and cannot be negated but in the context of this movie and this narrative, Rey is the heroine and her relationship with Finn is a major plot point. Finn and Rey makes sense to me even when I ignore any question of representation. They would appeal to me as a white/white pairing as well because the film was built on their dynamics. Kylo has never been and never will be a valid romantic option for me so I won't even go there. People tend to forget that this is a Disney franchise which rests upon grand spectacle and world-creation rather than some intriguing romance. Romance, if happens, will be a quick affair just to get it out of the way.
    I agree that Rey and Finn should meet more people but that didn't happen so I won't worry about that for now. This movie has set up a warm, friendly relationship between Rey and Finn with romantic undertones and if there is to be any romance, it will happen between them.

Obiwan10, Tharionn and rhymecheat like this.
  10. StormScavenger

StormScavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

Just ignorance, plain and simple. If Rey were black and Finn were white, it wouldn't be an issue. People are going to hate regardless.

As far as the haters are concerned, Finn could be purple, Rey could be plaid, and they would still be salty and want Reylo or FinnPoe to happen more than FinnRey.

Obiwan10 likes this.
  11. rhymecheat

rhymecheat Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2015

I would say those ladies have some insecurities. The way I see it they would have no problem with swapping colors for Finn/Rey, correct?

1: I've rarely seen this happen. Actually, whenever there is a black lead in a movie, it's probably a "black" movie... with all black people.

2: Same argument could be said for Finn. Except in this case Star Wars actually made him black when he was suppose to be white. This was just good casting on Boyega

3: If you go into a movie not wanting something it will feel forced no matter what

4: No. They want to see the connection they established flourish. Basing this on good looks then the Rey/Poe ship should be the flagship... Even if they never met.

5: I could bet 4/5 times there is interracial in a movie, the man is white

6: Well, to me it would be weird to make him meet dozens of women during TFA... Okay a dozen is too much, how many do you need to be "believable"? 2? 3? Do you see a problem here? Also, he met Phasma... he could have the hots for her... Forget chemistry, you want "options"

7: Or Kylo Ren... But he doesn't count because he's bad right? Also Finn doesn't count because he's... you finish my sentence :)

8: AFAIK there is no commitment between those two ATM. Also, would you really want more characters for the sake of having more choices? They couldn't even elaborate on the ones they introduced (I can think of Phasma for example)

9. Oh... so Rey and Finn took a leap and are now madly in love... And I thought they were too busy running for their lives to think about that. Making rational decisions about who you fall in love with is not life. In life, you connect, interact and only realize there is love when it's too late to judge upon it.

10. Because she even gave him "the time of day"... This is very juvenile... This is not a cat and mouse game. This is the first REAL relationship these two characters have. The fear to lose each other is not because of good looks or lack of options... It's the connection they never had. They both understand how the other person is making THEMSELVES change.

11. Exactly... Projecting. That is what happens what we get a small a vector with good direction but low intensity (sorry, the engineer in me wants out :D). We start to imagine what comes next. It doesn't mean the movie portrait an incredible love, it means it did a good job planting the seeds in our minds

12. This is just insecurity. "Is there anyone else? No one? Aight, I'll get with you then..."

StormScavenger likes this.
  12. Deerborne

Oct 15, 2015
    I think the first complaint is actually a very valid one in the grand scheme of things. In general, there are not a lot of Black/Black romances in Hollywood blockbusters. However, that has far more to do with the fact that there are just not a lot of Black characters in Hollywood blockbusters, period. And when there is a black character, he or she is usually the only one, like in TFA. So, the problem here is that we have to work with what were given, and right now, we haven't been given any Black women, sadly.

However, an IR is still excruciatingly rare and wonderful because often the (usually singular) Black character isn't given the role of love interest. Most of the time (like, all of the time) that role goes to the White man/White woman, and they end up with another White person. So speaking in a broader sense, Finn/Rey is still extremely progressive. I can see why some Black women would take issue with it, though.

That being said, I've pretty much observed the opposite. Most people I know who ship Finn/Rey are WOC, mostly Black women. So that doesn't seem to be a huge issue overall.

13. Forgotten Cade

Forgotten Cade Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Just finish reading all the comments since pg. 135, dont think im ready to jump into the hot bed convo up top ^^ but will say White Male and Black Female lead are more accepted then Black Male and White Female pairing

rhymecheat, Obiwan10 and Sgt. Carver like this.
  14. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    lol, those people are nutjobs man. I have to step back and just watch them. Its getting too dangerous to engage.

Forgotten Cade likes this.
  15. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    guys, its ok. Let people spiral in their own non racist, no anxiety insanity. The MELTDOWNS are going to be astronomical. The fallout will be severe.
    yeah, growing up in the south during the civil rights era, my mother hasn't been particularly fond of white women with black men, but even she was all giddy when Finn and rey hugged at SKB. Nobody can deny the natural state of those two's friendship/romance.

always been the case. The men are always supposed to do whatever they want, but oooh that woman better not even think about it!

16. Deerborne

Oct 15, 2015
    That's unfortunately true. White women are pretty indifferent when it comes to White men dating Black women, but the minute a White woman dates a Black man, certain types of White men get angry. It's almost like they feel some sort of ownership over White women.

Forgotten Cade and Sgt. Carver like this.
  17. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    yeeaah there's a whoooolee other discussion in regards to all of that.

18. filmgeek32

filmgeek32 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 18, 2016
    i do think that Disney could face a back lash if finn and rey don't get together they could easily be called out by the media and fans for being too scared to show a interracial romance

Forgotten Cade likes this.
  19. Carl Rahl

Carl Rahl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2016

Stars wars HQ on youtube the other characters are being REALLY shrunk down

20. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm not going to get into a discussion about the history of race (its way too in depth for a topic like this), but there is undoubtedly a correlation between the ownership of slaves and "ownership" of women that breeds racism in white males that's seemingly hereditary in the US.

21. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Its a culture. Like most, it can be destroyed, but most aren't aware/don't care that it exists.

22. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Yes indeed. I don't believe many people actually think about the underlying reasons slaves were both dehumanized and hypersexualized and how deep these stereotypes are embedded into American culture.

23. Deerborne

Oct 15, 2015
    I mean, at this point, the only other possible option is Finn/Poe, which is 10x more progressive, so... I don't think we have to worry about that.

Saw that coming from a mile away.

Sadly most people don't want to think about it. Most get uncomfortable when the topic is brought up.

Forgotten Cade and Sgt. Carver like this.
  24. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    We live in a racist, sexist, homophobic world. All of our cultural products, even with the best of intentions, will replicate these systems of repression. It is unavoidable. I have a close, gay friend, whom dresses in drag and likes to use the term "tranny," which for a transgendered person is now considered a slur. He is very politically progressive and actually a great person, but in this particular instance he is blind to his own biases and insensitivities. I write this to say, I believe the latest trilogy of SW has great intentions, and executes them well, but will fall short of the goal as a cultural product because it cannot escape the limitations of the people living in our society.

25. thestartrader

thestartrader Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Since today is National Hug Day...

[​IMG]