main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Yeah, I was totally ignorant to the whole shipping thing before I came here. I've never been a shipper before. Thanks TFA...

Blastaar, Carl Rahl and AhsokaSolo like this.
  2. SandStorm06

SandStorm06 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    Have you guys watched the trailer for John's new Sundance film? Looks great. He's going to be a super acclaimed actor, he's already getting such good projects like The Circle.

3. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    I'm not into shipping. Rey and Finn don't have to become "something." I feel there are clear signs that they will and the--dare I say--resistance to it is such a strange thing to invest in. Filmmaking is a craft with its own grammar and logic. Every push-in of the camera tells the story..

4. Marshall132

Marshall132 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015

Yeah this film looks great. This is going to be his jump off point. He has the talent to be a Major star in the Future.

Carl Rahl likes this.
  5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

This. I am not a shipper at.all. in general, so I think the resistance to Finnrey is what has driven me to ship. I guess I was just surprised at not only the pushback, but also the strange conviction of a certain ship that tends toward the extreme anti-Finnrey. It's not the shipping of any couple that threw me, but the actual steadfast belief that a ship as patently absurd as Reylo not only is actually going to happen, but somehow obviously going to happen, lol. I expected the anti-Finnrey crowd to be Poe/Rey shippers because lets face it, Poe is super hot. I was not expecting Finn's competition to be that whiney daddy killing freak of nature, lol (who I think is a fantastic, dynamic, entertaining as hell villain, don't get me wrong).

6. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    Didn't feel like posting this in the Reylo thread because it would be kind of pain atm. But I found this possible source JJ Saying the interrogation was just as creepy as we thought. More power to the finnrey.
    https://www.facebook.com/ashleycohagan/posts/10101640869471608

Forgotten Cade, IamZam and Carl Rahl like this.
  7. Carl Rahl

Carl Rahl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2016

Someone take that to tumblr and watch it burn.

Forgotten Cade likes this.
  8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

I thought it was clear. Literally there were audible gasps in my theater when he said, "you know I can take what I want." That was the scene that made me think, "okay, they don't want any doubt in our minds about how twisted this guy is." I was floored when I discovered how many people (tumblr folks, apparently) found the scene... gentle [face_hypnotized]

Blastaar and Carl Rahl like this.
  9. SandStorm06

Jan 3, 2016
    ^^ Lmao. Isn't their argument based on how that torture scene isn't reminiscent of "Mind-rape"? JJ shot that one down as well. That scene is probably going to be a rape analogy like the wing-tearing scene in Maleficent. JJ basically did what he planned to do, build up a villain from scratch. All the negative things we saw is what he wanted us to see, interesting.

Blastaar, AhsokaSolo and Carl Rahl like this.
  10. thestartrader

thestartrader Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2016

Finnrey seems to be the most popular, and it rolls off the tongue best, imo. (I actually thought it would be Fey from the get-go, but it never caught on.)

11. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Sheesh, you gotta be full of unimaginable hatred to disown your grandchild because they're black. I've seen more than one situation where a girl's racist parents hated the fact that their daughter was dating a black guy. Yet today, these same parents could literally have their sandy haird grand kid with a side of rice and gravy.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  12. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    Like JJ is going to argue with a dying man...

And if Kylo is guilty of "mind rape" I guess Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Mace Windu are, too:

And yeah, you can say they didn't go into his mind to get information, so it's different. Yeah, they went into his mind to force him to do something. I'd say that's more severe than going into someone's mind just to get information. Its is obvious that the experience is unpleasant for Cad Bane. And this is 3 Jedi doing this to a prisoner. Even Ahsoka is taken aback by what's going on.

So, either both situations are "mind rape" and we have to deal with the fact that 2 respected Jedi Masters are guilty of that, or neither situation is "mind rape."

13. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

oh its clear some people actually got turned on by that scene. But, yeah, the "you know i can take what i want" line was obviously to hammer down the context of that scene. The meltdowns are going to be exquisite when VIII drops.

14. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    oh ok so every jedi who's mindtricked someone is basically a rapist. Interesting new fandom we have here. Making someone tell tell you info (the imperio curse) vs strapping someone to a table and forcing your way into their mind as they grimace and stream tears. This is apparently comparable.

15. Gyasi Mandara

Gyasi Mandara Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    Reylo has gotten so delusional that they are now accusing Rey (THE VICTIM!!) of mind raping Kylo. Im done.

Blastaar and Forgotten Cade like this.
  16. Purple Ren

Dec 18, 2015
    Uh, no.. I'm actually arguing that it isn't mind rape.
    If you watch the video, you'll see Cad Bane, a tough bounty hunter, writhing in pain. This is more severe than what Kylo did to Rey.
    Forcing someone to do something is more severe than getting information from them.

17. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    I felt that was a rape scene when I saw it in the theaters. This is when shipping goes wrong: the willful mangling of the facts to suit your argument. Shame on you.

Sgt. Carver, Blastaar and SandStorm06 like this.
  18. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    I am not going to deny that what they did to bane was very violent, but they weren't saying stuff like "I can take whatever I want"

Blastaar likes this.
  19. SandStorm06

Jan 3, 2016
    There is a clear gendered undertone in this case. People are being obtuse as usual when they bring in other examples in order to be able to ignore the gendered undercurrents. Plus it's not like Rey wasn't strapped to a chair, crying and screaming. Such perversion, god. But anyway, I knew it was set as a very rape-y thing, the whole "I can take whatever I want"-cringe! Lol @ JJ randomly saying such an important thing to someone for no reason. It will come out soon anyway. From my experience with Star Trek and Lost, JJ has previously set up rape analogies like these before. Interesting.

20. Marshall132

Dec 26, 2015

They aren't trying to read his mind. What they are doing is basically punching him in the face to get him to bring to the thing they need. It's torture but they aren't trying to dive deep into him.

Kylo Ren wasn't trying to compel her to talk or to get her to take him somewhere. He enjoyed forcing his way into her mind and getting the information that way because it cause pain and reinforced his power over her. It is why he says to Her " You know I can do anything I want to you." He is reinforcing who is in control and he isn't taking no for an answer, he isn't even going to ask her. He is going to dig into mind to get what he wants. It clearly hurts from what you can see from the clip and Poes screams earlier in the movie.

Rape is rarely about sex it usually all about having complete control and power over someone else, And that was what that scene was all about.

Poe got mind raped earlier to reinforce Kylo Rens power and Later the same happened to Rey, She just happened to turn it back on him and damage his control and his own faith in his power and that made him revert to weak person he always was as he rushed out of the room in a huff.

21. Purple Ren

Dec 18, 2015
    No, they just threatened to do it again.
    Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that you have 3 Jedi, 2 of whom are respected masters, doing a similar, but more severe act than what Kylo did to Rey. So, if Kylo "mind raped" Rey, then Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Mace Windu "mind raped" Cad Bane. If people are willing to taint Obi-Wan's legacy like that, fine. But I don't believe it is "mind rape."

They aren't trying to read his mind, they are trying to control his mind. In a quite painful manner. Much more severe than what Kylo did. And if you're saying that Kylo is guilty of rape, then so are Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Mace Windu.

You can't have your cake, and eat it too. Either they are both rape, or neither are.

22. Carl Rahl

Carl Rahl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2016

Bingo, that what that scene was about.

23. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    Violent and Rape are not the same thing. I would equate what they did as a mental beat down. Not a guy watching a girl knocked out, then gently saying creepy statements and how about how she is lonely at night all while she is strapped down to a chair. Little something called context.

24. Marshall132

Dec 26, 2015

Oh man that was the creepiest line. It sent shivers up my back because it sounds like something a stalker would say, and it's clear he didn't go straight for the BB8 memories, he digs around in her mind and prods her to stroke his ego. Her Loneliness, and in the novel about her getting close to Finn before he even gets to the information about where Luke is. The dude is ****ed in the head.

25. Purple Ren

Dec 18, 2015
    Rapes aren't violent?
    Let's see... Both are cases of unwelcome intrusion into the mind. Both appear to be painful for the victim. In one case, information is collected. In another, control is taken.
    If anything, gaining control of someone's mind is more of "mind rape" than just digging around in their thoughts and memories.

A contemporary example would be: suppose someone held you at gunpoint and forced you to reveal an embarrassing secret. Then suppose someone held you at gunpoint and forced you to do something you don't want to do. They are both awful, but being forced to do something you don't want to do is more severe.

Granted, I still maintain that neither instance is equivalent to rape or even "mind rape" (whatever that is.)

26. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    If you look up rape, violent is not a synonym. It's an adjective. I violently beat a guys head in, I didn't rape him. They were to the point with bane, just like when someone beats information out of someone. Kylo was taking his time, looking at her personal thoughts.