main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Tharionn

Tharionn Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2015
    The whole thing that got this started, the facebook post, was posted in Reylo. They were having mini meltdowns over there lol.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    For general consumption:

3. zero_point_zero

zero_point_zero Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    Not really meltdowns, they kinda glossed over it. I dont think any minds are being changed, lol.

4. Tharionn

Tharionn Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2015
    Mini. As in the seeds have been planted. XD

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

zero_point_zero likes this.
  5. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    I read a Yahoo article, which I now cannot find, where JJ said Rian wanted "certain things introduced in VII" to give context to where he intended to take VIII. Also, that Rian was doing rewrites during the editing process of TFA and that the story he wanted to tell was in line with what JJ and KK were thinking.

This suggests a heavy emphasis on story continuity, which bodes well for Rey and Finn. Something else to consider: Rian had a significant influence on TFA as a final product. The last scenes of the movie are: Leia/Rey; the completion of the galaxy map to Luke; Rey/Finn; Rey/Leia (Leia saying, "may the force be with you."); Rey/Luke then cut.
    Another takeaway is that JJ put TFA together in full light of what is to come.

If the novelization is the prose version of an earlier script (which it had to be), then the changes between the novel and the final script and the final cut of the film can provide a trajectory line of, PERHAPS, how the story was altered to get to Rian's vision.

Nanosoft likes this.
  6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    And Rian/Colin Trevorrow have apparently been working together as well, which points to interconnectivity between Episodes VIII and IX as well. Basically this trilogy, at least in it's broad strokes story, seems much more planned out than the other two were. It's just a matter of filling in the details.

7. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    I also read that. That's why I've not been too worried about where Rian was going to go. To paraphrase, JJ called it a different approach but still within the boundaries of the approach he and Kasdan had intended when kicking off the trilogy

In the context of this thread, I think Finn and Rey's relationship is in safe hands. In the big scheme of things, LF has much more story to figure out than just the romance part. From their point of view I wouldn't be surprised if Finn and Rey is pretty much cut and dried, but because they didn't hit us over the head with it, begun, the shipping wars have.

Edit: Also, having read all the literature multiple times, the biggest difference I could see between that and final version was the force flashback. The novel's was very different than what appeared in the final cut. Allan Dean Foster had the novel completed eight months before the film came out and lamented not being able to see the film first, believing the novel would have been better for it.

9. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

I feel the missed point of TFA is that Finn and Rey are bonded, which I think is deeper than friendship but not necessarily romantic, though it will probably be executed that way. In that way, Finn and Rey are important, central even. I think this trilogy is about two orphans connected by fate or the force. Logically, if Poe was supposed to die and the cast was to expand around Finn and Rey, both with a built-in nemesis--Phasma will clearly want Finn's head on a pike; he put her in the garbage, they are the through line of story.

10. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    They are now totally cool with incest.

Yeah I do think that their fate is tied together. Hopefully they both become jedi.

11. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Yea, essentially the story breaks down to how much they need one another. They needed each other to escape Jakku, they needed each other to escape Starkiller base. Heck they even worked together to get Luke's light saber back to him. So yes, I agree the most important thing is the bond they share, romance is a distant second.

12. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Does anyone have the JJ quote about the Kylo mind rape scene? I haven't seen it yet.

13. frail47

Jan 11, 2016
    Yes, I agree. Romantic or not, there's something special between them. Since TFA teased a romance, I can't help but want it to go there.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Sgt. Carver I mean the subtext was kind of obvious. I had a husband and wife couple sitting next to me, and when he says THAT line, one of them literally whispered "eww" under their breath. It's also why her then turning his own trick back around on him was all the more satisfying.

15. frail47

Jan 11, 2016
    https://www.facebook.com/ashleycohagan/posts/10101640869471608

But, please let's not get back into the mind rape argument. A mod already had to shut that down.

Sgt. Carver likes this.
  16. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    https://www.facebook.com/ashleycohagan/posts/10101640869471608

this is the whole story. Keep in mind, those reylo folks are completely ignoring this and are now all for incest since its likely kylo and rey are cousins.

Obiwan10 and Sgt. Carver like this.
  17. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    when you say it like that, i can't help but compare it to girl with a dragon tattoo.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  18. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Thanks. No, I just wanted record for personal analysis. Not discussing it here.

frail47 likes this.
  19. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    I totally agree, though I think if Finn and Rey continue to share adventures together and bond like they have been, romance would be a natural evolution of their relationship. Not that it would need to go there, but it would be completely natural. And didn't JJ say that there was going to be a romance at some point?

Blastaar likes this.
  20. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    Not only did JJ say it, but according to ViralHide of SWNN, there will no doubt be a love story. Rey and Finn just seem like the only viable option at this point. It would feel the most natural and believable given the groundwork laid down.

thestartrader and frail47 like this.
  21. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    but what about how gentle and caring kylo was with rey. He was just watching over her as she slept on the table.

Tharionn likes this.
  22. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't denying the romance. Just saying that wasn't even the most important thing about their relationship.

Also Poe/Finn now apparently has a song:

http://www.themarysue.com/it-suits-you-song/

23. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    Unless they decide Poe is so awesome that they'd rather have Rey hook up with him. But idk, he wasn't really intended to to be a main character so that would take some work script-wise. I say the two most likely outcomes are her and Finn or her ending the trilogy solo. And I don't mean it as being married to Ben Solo :p

thestartrader likes this.
  24. Carl Rahl

Carl Rahl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2016

Themarysue.com has been driving the bandwagon for stormpliot for a long time.

25. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    Lol, someone on that site wrote a whole article about how her friend convinced her that there was some sort of gay subtext between them and she seemed to totally believe it. I love what themarysue stands for, but...sometimes I really have to wonder.

Also, Finn and Rey already have their own song. I believe it's called 'Finn's Confession.' : )