main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. filmgeek32

filmgeek32 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 18, 2016
    my problem with the finn/poe shippers is that they seem ignore the fact that finn is clearly attracted to rey

2. Carl Rahl

Carl Rahl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2016

and it's on the star wars soundtrack

3. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    And that JB debunked it.

thestartrader and Forgotten Cade like this.
  4. zero_point_zero

zero_point_zero Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    I think that there's an undercurrent of opinion that desires Rey to stay the independent empowered female and not get roped into a romantic arc. Also, Stormpilot would be a bold progressive statement for mainstream Hollywood. My guess is both of these POVs are coming from the same social circles.

5. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    I know this has been posted before but I actually never listened to it.

This is the first act of a love story. TFA creative team is way too invested in these scenes to interpret them as platonic.

I have an industry perspective on films. Friends of mine have made this a habit.

Script, storyboarding, shot lists, endless production meetings with staff. there's no way all these elements came together randomly. Also, the runaway success of it will only embolden the creative team. All their instincts were correct: female lead, male lead, villain - the progressive choices within their selections, the chances they took on relatively unknown actors.

They'll do more of the their vision, not less.

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean I can understand the hesitation on some people's part when it comes to giving Rey a potential romantic angle. Because yeah, Hollywood writers often struggle to write strong female characters, and then have them remain strong once the romance starts. They often suddenly becoming much more "weak-willed," or fall victim to inane soap-opera crap. So I get it.

But, on the other hand, it CAN be done well (letting Rey be strong and interesting, and have a romantic relationship), and I feel that saying that "you cannot be a strong female lead and have romance in your life to" is very creatively-limiting from a writing standpoint.

7. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    Honestly, except for the politics of it--which would be awesome, Poe and Finn would have little tension or tie-in with the movie. To quote, a screenplay writing buddy of mine, "don't write anything you'd have to stop your story to write." Poe Finn would be a thing happening on the outside of it.

Deerborne likes this.
  8. Amanda4321

Amanda4321 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2016
    I so agree with you. Either way I don't think it's the biggest highlight of the story.

Deerborne likes this.
  9. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    As much as I love Finn and Rey, I really hope it isn't. I hope it's something subtle and sweet that doesn't take away or distract from the story any. I don't need a ham-fisted Han/Leia romance subplot.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    That was about as far from "hamfisted" as you could get. It was actually, really well-done overall.

Amanda4321, Carl Rahl and Obiwan10 like this.
  11. frail47

Jan 11, 2016
    Same here. I'm not looking for some epic, sweeping romance. That's not why I like Star Wars and AOTC's attempt at that came off to me as forced and very cheesy. Something sweet and fun to make the journey more enjoyable and emotional is more my speed. But it should also have a purpose and not just be a side thing.

12. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    I'm not saying it wasn't well done, it worked in the context of ESB/ROTJ, I meant ham-fisted in the sense that it was very heavy handed and required a lot of time devoted to it. It became a 'side thing', which, as I said, worked perfectly fine in the OT, but considering how thick the plot will likely be in the ST, focusing on it too much might seem weird and out of place.

The dialogue was actually pretty clumsy in a few rough patches, but thankfully Carrie and Harrison's chemistry carried them through.

frail47 likes this.
  13. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    As did Pablo Hidalgo :

14. Tharionn

Tharionn Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2015
    At this point I'm more excited to see FinnRey and watch the Kylo meltdowns more than actually see the movie.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

15. Nanosoft

Dec 15, 2015
    Right on. Planned trilogy.

They did enough to telegraph (And not retroactively make TFA weird once the sequels drop), but didn't pour it on so much that people would get annoyed.

What's funny is that, even though they kept things relatively un-intrusive, I still have heard some people here and there saying "the romance was too forced".

zero_point_zero and Tharionn like this.
  16. frail47

Jan 11, 2016
    Yep. The only possible romance that the movie realistically implies is FinnRey. Everything else is a huge stretch and or has been debunked.

B Wilson, Forgotten Cade and Nanosoft like this.
  17. pupuce

pupuce Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 10, 2016
    i wish that someone ask him " Finn hears cries from the republics planets? editing error bad acting or finn is FS? LOL

Blastaar likes this.
  18. Nanosoft

Dec 15, 2015
    Actually, I hate to break this to you, but he has addressed that before, and said that he "assumed it was the surrounding people" (I'm paraphrasing).

Like I've been saying, let's not get our hopes up about FS-Finn.

19. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
    And since there were only two people surrounding him...

20. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    They already did. He gave an ambiguous answer, then later deleted the tweet.

21. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016

I guess he understood, his answer was wrong and deleted it.

22. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    2 possible ways to read into it. He gave the right answer but they want ambiguity to stir interest in the films. Or he gave the wrong answer and they don't want bad info/spoiling info.

23. Nanosoft

Dec 15, 2015
    I was looking for that tweet, and ran across a *yet another* example of a DIRECT SOURCE referring to Kylo's power as being TORTURE!

I'm not one to enter the Reylo thread, and when they come here, I try to be cordial. I don't like being combative, but as far as I'm concerned....evidence against other ships is evidence for ours.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/685305497814216704

[​IMG]

Kylo's ability described as TORTUOUS.

I guess the Clone Wars people didn't get the memo....[face_laugh]

JJ & Pablo both confirming the abuse.

Was it really deleted? I was actually just searching for it (As I said above).

Anyways, him deleting that might actually be credence TOWARDS Finn as FS....purposefully trying to keep it open-ended is interesting.

Forgotten Cade likes this.
  24. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
    since the people surrounded him were only 2, it 's probably the second option;

25. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    It was a playful non answer anyways. As for the torture stuff, I wouldn't bother informing the reylo folks. So far, they've overlooked everything kylo did in that film and are now even ok with an incestuous relationship. I doubt this news will do anything beyond sinking them lower in the garbage.