main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Having playoff losses -especially series ending ones ('08, '15)- occurring on my birthday is getting a bit tiresome. :p Though, to be fair, there was a lot about that game 5 experience that I hold dear in a positive way (being able to go a playoff game on my birthday? It doesn't get much better, given how the Dodgers/baseball are my #1 hobby), so there's that. Eventually that'll override the negative emotions from it that for now still linger.

[​IMG]

Who's now got 60,000 posts? This schmuck!

:p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    My brother on this photo of Mike Piazza:

[​IMG]

"It's like Jack Black and Sid from Ice Age had a kid"

DarthTunick and cubman987 like this.
  3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
  4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    now that's interesting...

i always wonder if today Rose would be able to go out there for several years at the end as a .260 no home run hitting First Baseman though.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I want to stand behind by friends in Cincinnati as they read this, so I can hear the tears forming, smell the anger rising, and watch them try to find counter arguments with every once of their soul.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't understand. are cinci fans really attached to the sep. 11th date or the fact that he broke the record at home or something?

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's got to be breaking the record at home... how could it not?

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    seems like a weird thing to be attached to, unless you were at the game or something.

it was an interesting article tho.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Given that it was one the top records to break, and that Cincy is one of the proudest baseball towns in this country, it makes sense to me.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i guess i can see how the moment itself would seem less special if everyone knew that he broke the record three days earlier in chicago. i mean slightly maybe? but worth tears and anger and arguing with every ounce of your soul? your guy still has the record, it was still celebrated, albeit at the wrong time. if he had gotten another hit in chicago they would have just celebrated when they came home anyway. it's not like the truth coming out is that ty cobb actually had 200 more hits than originally thought.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    At the very least, some consternation would be had.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I mean, I get that he's still hugely popular in Cincinnati and they can do what they want with their HoF. But he's STILL GAMBLING ON BASEBALL!

Amazing.

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So what if he's gambling on baseball today? He's no longer in a role within baseball that prohibits it, so why not let him exercise his freedom that he didn't have before? That's what I don't get about the rejection of his reinstatement application. He was basically rejected because he is engaging in an activity that is perfectly legal and breaks no rules whatsoever. He should be reinstated with the condition that he cease gambling if and when he accepts a role within baseball that requires him to. That's it. He shouldn't have to stop participating in a legal activity that he apparently enjoys just to get his name removed from the Ineligible List.

16. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    With respect to the Reds, it doesn't really matter and if the MLB HoF wanted to change its restrictions it can. But he was permanently banned for gambling, has been lobbying to have the ban lifted since, but he's STILL GAMBLING. Legality has nothing to do with it, MLB rules are pretty clear. If he ever wanted a shot at reinstatement he should have stopped gambling years ago. There's absolutely no indication he'd cease gambling if he accepted a role within baseball, since ceasing gambling wasn't important enough over the last 25 years to get reinstated in the first place.

Amazing.

17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
  18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I couldn't disagree more; hate that there's ever increasing noise about this.

cubman987 and JEDI-RISING like this.
  19. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm fine with it as long as there's still an option to let the pitcher hit. Never seeing MadBum swing a bat would be a tragedy of epic proportions.

20. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Never seeing MadBum swing a bat would be a tragedy of epic proportions.

Highly agreed. Then again…being a Giants fan, I would think that. But that being said, I hate the NL getting a DH idea myself. The whole split in DH use between the two Leagues is something that separates them in character as well as in the technical way. I've always enjoyed that, having them both be the same would be…bland and uninspiring tbh.

If it hasn't been done by now, let us let the issue die IMO.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Under current rules, the DH is not mandatory. A team can choose at any time to let the pitcher bat for himself. However, once that choice is made, the team is stuck without a DH for the rest of the game. So it's not possible, for example, to have the starting pitcher bat for himself, then insert a DH when the bullpen comes on. If the starter bats for himself, all relievers must do so as well.

You can view the DH rule HERE (Rule 5.11).

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I hate the DH....but I do think it's coming to the NL. At least if it comes soon the Cubs will know what to do with Kyle Schwarber.

23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't like it . there's always this commentary about it, going way back, that it would let great stars play longer. well Musial and Williams played in the field past 40. Ruth played until 40. Mays and Aaron did. More often than not it's either been a platoon position or created career DH's---Harold Baines, Frank Thomas, Edgar Martinez, etc. Sometimes going back looking at lineups the AL lineups were weaker because they had a good DH so they'd have weaker hitters at other positions. i don't like it at all for the NL, but it's one more thing in baseball i don't agree with. but i was a hardcore fan at one time, my opinion is irrelevant.

24. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    As long as Terry Collins is the Mets manager, I fully support the DH in the NL. The fewer decisions he makes per game, the better.

Amazing.

solojones and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think the DH will make it's way into the NL because it create job openings. I think the players will approve that.

jcgoble3 likes this.