main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST The First Steps (Luke, Rey - TFA SPOILERS INSIDE)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by taramidala, Dec 21, 2015.

1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    “The First Steps”

Title: The First Steps
    Author: taramidala
    Rating: G
    Time Frame: TFA
    Disclaimer: All belongs to Lucasfilm Ltd. and the Haus of Mouse. Some passages in "quotes" have been lovingly borrowed from Alan Dean Foster's novelization of the film.

Note: Special thanks as always to ginchy, JadeLotus, ThreadSketch, and another dear friend, whowhatsitwhich, for the once-over and general cheerleading!
    Note #2: Best read if listening to "The Jedi Steps" music from the TFA soundtrack!

Summary: The first steps are not Rey's alone. **Spoilers for The Force Awakens. Enter at your own risk.**

It, the day, begins unremarkably. The sky stretches across the horizon, clear as far as his eyes can see. Waves batter the rocks below his feet and on every isle that surrounds this refuge.

Clean air fills his lungs, birds sing around him, life on the island continues as it always has for over a thousand generations.

Perseverance, too, is a way of the Force. For him, and for everyone who came before him.

He closes his eyes and breathes through the pain - the fresh sting of a trillion deaths - the souls that continue to cry out - the echoes of which would never leave him.

The Republic. The Resistance.

Han.

How had it come to this?

Leia, he calls silently, reaching out to her for the first time in an age. Leia, I’m sorry.

When her heart answers back, it coils around his like a balm, pushing her pain aside to soothe his.

Same as always.

I love you. I need you. We need you. Please. Come home. Don’t send

The Millennium Falcon cuts through the morning tranquility, crashing through the atmosphere with a roar. His eyes track the trajectory as it soars through the skies, weaving and circling through the islands with precision and skill.

But Han...but how…?

The old beauty banks as it crests a distant hill before disappearing below his sightline. He casts out his senses to the travelers below.

Chewbacca. Artoo. And…

No. How…?

Whoever they are, they are here for him.

He refuses to believe. And yet…

She’s approaching. Up up up the mountain. The Wookiee and the droid remain behind.

A fog rolls in with her every step, and suddenly he’s inside her mind as though she’s meant for him to be there. In her life. In her memories.

Step. Step. Step.

A kind voice. Her voice. Wiping away the child’s tears and smoothing her trembling lip. “Stay here. I’ll come back for for you. I’ll come back, sweetheart. I promise.”

Step. Step. Step.

A bulbous hand tugging, gripping, yanking the girl away to a life of hardship and misery as she screams. “No! Come back!”

Step. Step. Step.

Another voice, clear and sharp as metal, speaking the thoughts of hundreds. “I am an independent operator, scavenger of the metal lands, free of debt and beholden to no one. I have...my freedom and my pride.”

Step. Step. Step.

“I know all about waiting. For my family. They'll be back. One day.” Her voice finally falters.

Step. Step. Step.

The soothing voice of an old friend. “It calls to you.”

Step. Step. Step.

Visions shooting terror into her soul. Ghosts she wasn’t ready to understand. “I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gone in there. I want no part of this!”

Step. Step. Step.

The deep soothing voice of him, trying to lull her to a false sense of security, preying on the adoration she held for him so long ago. “At night, desperate to sleep, you imagine an ocean...I can see it. I can see the island.”

Step. Step. Step.

Then, a change, an unlocking within her, and she knew him as well as she ever had. “You're afraid: that you'll never be as strong as Darth Vader!”

Step. Step. Step.

The lightsaber, flying to her, sending him into a rage. “It is you.”

Step. Step. Step.

Deciding, accepting, acknowledging. “This is how it has to be. This is how it should be.”

And now...silence. A pregnant pause stretched out between them as her spirit emerged in his soul. Another moment - heartbeat...beat...beat - as he tries to calm his heart that breaks from the knowledge of her here, now.

Her newfound voice calls to him softly, as though she spoke aloud beside him. Turn ‘round... Please.

He does, slowly, and draws back the hood of his cloak.

Peering through the mist, the sight of her brings a strangled breath, a choking sensation in the back of his throat that threatens to overpower the moment. His eyes rake over her form, trying to capture every inch of her, longing to find something familiar. He knows her, and yet he does not. Gone is the child and in her place, a woman. Beautiful, steely, and strong. The angle of her cheeks, the cut of her chin, so like his own from a lifetime ago.

And yet, her eyes...in their vulnerability...

His grandmothers.

His mother.

Leia.

And She, whose name he cannot bear to say.

She reaches into her bag, a weathered leather thing that speaks of a careworn life, but not a hopeless one. The lightsaber, once lost and now found again, stretches towards him from her outstretched, trembling hand.

He does not reach back, but retreats when she presses forward. Those sad eyes scream at him now, pleading, tearing, battering at the crumbling walls of his heart.

Why? she asks.

I’m sorry, he answers. He blinks, and his eyes come away wet.Another breath, another rock in his heart falls. We only ever wanted to protect you. I never wanted this for you.

She steps towards him again. Please let me stay.

He cannot refuse her, now or ever again. Always. Always, Kir-.

Rey, she says.

Kireya.

She smiles. This time, he steps forward, daring her to meet him halfway.

She does.

The gap between them is no longer so wide.

[​IMG]

2. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Nicely done. I think I felt tears coming on all through this.

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I am proud to be the first to review this, taramidala (ok, not first, but I took my time). It is brilliant. I have goosebumps. What a wonderfully intimate scene. I loved the peace in Luke, which is almost a false peace given he is hiding. Favorite lines below:

"When her heart answers back, it coils around his like a balm, pushing her pain aside to soothe his.

Same as always.

I love you. I need you. We need you. Please. Come home. Don’t send —"

I was touched by the love these two share.

Peering through the mist, the sight of her brings a strangled breath, a choking sensation in the back of his throat that threatens to overpower the moment. His eyes rake over her form, trying to capture every inch of her, longing to find something familiar. He knows her, and yet he does not. Gone is the child and in her place, a woman. Beautiful, steely, and strong. The angle of her cheeks, the cut of her chin, so like his own from a lifetime ago.

And yet, her eyes...in their vulnerability

THIS. This is what I have been saying about Rey since I left the film. She is the full package of a character. She is strong and vulnerable. With not effort at all Rey demands you to love her. And, she is irresistible.

"I’m sorry, he answers. He blinks, and his eyes come away wet.Another breath, another rock in his heart falls. We only ever wanted to protect you. I never wanted this for you.

She steps towards him again. Please let me stay.

He cannot refuse her, now or ever again. Always. Always, Kir-."

You portray Luke perfectly. He is so utterly human and yet holds such awesome power and wisdom. I am thankful that Rey is so ready to return home and that Luke is ready to receive her.

This is such a great piece of writing, taramidala. you should be proud.

4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    You know I love this - it is absolutely perfect and really tugs at the heartstrings, doing absolute justice to the wonderful range of emotion in that final scene.

Love it, love it, love it!

Nyota's Heart and taramidala like this.
  5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I love this. :) I was wondering how many ending scene we were going to get in fic. I want to read/write them all. I was annoyed at first that JJ left the ending so ambiguous, but I can't be annoyed anymore because the fic possibilities are endless!

I'm so excited to read all the TFA fic. *holds out hands*

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I sense a healing beginning for them both

And I hope they can help each other in the days ahead.

Great job on this

=D==D==D==D=

7. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I started to read this....then I read your second note. Got that track playing....and wow! Just wow!

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] =D= Oh incoherent delight! :) [face_sigh] You do the emotive stuff indescribably superbly! [:D] [:D]

taramidala likes this.
  9. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    I had tears while writing it. Thank you!

Nah, thank you. [:D]

I'm so thrilled at all of the fic that's coming right now! (but I'm still annoyed with JJ...and so are hundreds of others ;) ) Thanks for stopping by, as well as sharing your own interpretation!

Thanks so much!!

Ohhh so it worked?!? YAY! I had it on repeat as I wrote it, so I'm hoping that the rhythm of the words actually (sort of) fit the beat of the track! Thank you!!

Thank you!

Thank you so much! I don't write Leia much - I'm not comfortable with her - but I do love the Luke/Leia relationship, so this means a lot.

Daisy was an absolute delight. I'm so glad that she's getting recognized for her great work. It's an amazing change of pace to read reviews that aren't like "Well, the acting sucked, but OMG special effects!"

And this is perhaps one of the nicest reviews I've ever received in all my years of writing, brodiew. Thank you for being so thoughtful and detailed. [face_blush]

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  10. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    I had tears while writing it. Thank you! >

I always see that as a good sign. If you can move yourself to years or make yourself feel when you write something, then you're on the right track. =D=

taramidala likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Great job. I think this is the first TFA story I have read. Nicely done!

taramidala and brodiew like this.
  12. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Beautiful. The longest journey of a million steps brings her back where she started, back to her home. Rey is so open, so sincere, so absolutely GOOD without becoming cloying or annoying. She wears her feelings on her sleeve for everyone to see and she is not embarrassed by it.

You really caught not just her yearning to be home at last but Luke's desire to have just one thing finally go right in his own life.

13. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    hm I think this ne is amongst my avourites f not my favourite.

14. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Well, I'll take that high compliment! Thank you! :)

Thanks! She's like her daddy that way! ;)

Yup! I mean, I'm not a huge fan of this whole they-had-30-years-of-misery thing that seems to have been established in the film, but I do think that Luke sees the chance, as Lor San Tekka said, "to make things right."

Thanks so much! :)

15. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great start as Rey meets Luke for the first time.

16. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Wow, beautiful.....

17. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Thank you! :)

Thanks so much! :)

arjank likes this.