main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Disney/Lucasfilm Animated Movie: Strange Magic

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Sword_Of_Goliath, Jan 30, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't think this one made it to the UK, at least not on general release. If I see it listed on the Sky Movies Disney Channel at some point I might see it then.

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I Envision loving this movie and eventually getting It On BLU-RAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Your insults and rudeness definitely add nothing to the discussion.

You are just overly defensive because I'm criticizing Lucas. If I said a similar thing in praise of him, I doubt you would have had an issue. There have been tons of people criticizing Episode 7 based off the trailer, but I guess their opinions are just "thoughtless swill" according to you.

There are plenty of posts in this thread of people basically just saying the exact opposite of me with no more elaboration. Yet you don't attack them, gee I wonder why?

4. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    ATMachine and KenW like this.
  5. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    EternalHero And yet you keep responding to me? How about you let it go? Stop attacking me if you want me to drop it.

6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I wasn't able to see this at my local Discount theater because I was House hunting In Florida, Does anyone know when it will be on On-Demand Comcast to Order ?

7. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I was finally able to see this On-Demand and when I first put this on at Lunch Time on Saturday the 30th of May I was distracted because I was preparing Portabella Mushroom Burgers that I had for Dinner, Also my sister came over to visit and talked my ear off so I couldn't really pay attention and on first viewing I did not care for Strange Magic. on my second viewing I was tapping my foot to all the songs and I really enjoyed the movie! It kind of reminded me If Labyrinth and Epic had a baby!

EternalHero likes this.
  8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    the biggest problem with this movie is the songs - it's one where they sing already existing popular songs (is there a name for this ?) , so it just seems like karaoke rather than it's own film, and they do a LOT of singing.

the animation quality is very high , they really seem to have put a lot of work into the level of detail and texture etc. Same with the character/ facial expressions (altho they're so 'realistic' I'm wondering if they've come up with some new mo-cap technique where they filmed actors playing the roles and then sorta roto'd their faces into the computer (?) ,) but whatever it does look different to most CG cartoons .

EternalHero likes this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's why it's called a musical.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think we all know it's a musical .

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Watched this twice already, my favourite gag is when the sister has the love potion and bog king locks her up in the dungeon and they open the door and she belts out "Sugar pie honey bunch!" and they slam the door again. and their back and forth "Love potion?" "Yeah" "Anitdote?" "Working on it!"

KenW and EternalHero like this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A note for UK folks - my local Vue Cinema has this on their schedule as opening Friday.

13. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Man I loved it. It was weird artistic and had good story and characters.

The fact that it's a musical yet a comedy blends so well.

The direction, screenplays, the music choice, everything about it was pretty damn good. Not to mention it was underrated.

Man, George and his team did really well on this movie. This is what I kinda have been wanting him to do. Small, underrated films with a lot of charm.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  14. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    My girlfriend and I wanted to see it in theaters, but it didn't last long enough for us to go see it. I was hoping to catch it on redbox or netflix but it never showed up. I still want to check it out, I may just end up buying it if i see it in the bargain bin. I did see Phantom Menace 3D and Red Tails in theaters, but missed this one. :confused:

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I don't think we ever got it here in the UK unless it was in London. I know my local cinema didn't have it. If it pops up on a movie channel I'd probably watch.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It didn't even got a Blu-ray release, unfortunately.

Ezon Pin and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  17. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I loved it

18. Byzantinefire

Byzantinefire Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    The trailer was funny the songs were pretty good as well.

19. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Caught the movie in theaters and really enjoyed it! It reminded me of those offbeat 80s fantasy films, and I was honestly surprised by the ending. Really bummed it isn't hitting blu-ray.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Much better than the rep it gets. Didn't make any cash, however, I did see it with my sister and my nieces on a Friday afternoon opening weekend (it was a PA day so the grade school kids were off) and the theatre was kind of packed so that's at least one theatre that enjoyed it.

Ezon Pin and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  21. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I know this thing didn't light the boxoffice on fire, but c'mon,not providing a Blu-ray release of the film is an injustice to Lucasfilm's ILM, which frankly did a great job. No, the movie itself isn't that great, but ILM's work, as per the norm, is.

Darthmaul208 and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  22. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I liked it. The story wasn't spectacular, but it was a cute animated flick. Certainly was on the same quality level as the highly-overrated Frozen.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, it's surprisingly it didn't get a BD release. A) it's just an odd decision on Disney's part to put it out solely on DVD B) the movie looks pretty fantastic for the level of detail in it.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Upping this for the UK folks. The Sky Family movie channel (Sky 306) will be showing the film Friday Sep 30 from 4:35 PM to 6:25 PM. Time to set your recording devices if you haven't seen it and you get Sky Movies!

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I watched it on one of the Sky channels a few days ago - didn't see the whole thing but saw the second half. I liked what I saw - might try and see the whole thing next week.