main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Although, funnily enough, the mobile version of FFT is probably the definitive one (PSP version & retranslation with none of the slowdown). Ditto Dragon Quests I-VI. VIII... not so much.

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    The mobile version of KOTOR is great.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ew what are those, large Emojis? Stickers? That looks terrible.

The freemium thing really really annoys me, yes. Mostly because while I'm smart enough to avoid the scam, my little cousins and aunts/uncles alike are not so much. People have no idea how much they wind up spending on these games, especially when it's just added onto an autopay phone bill. And most of these games are pretty much unplayable without spending money. Don't even get me started on MOBAs..... ugh.

Angry Birds seems like it could be pleasantly diverting in the totally free model. I personally have tried playing it and have little use for it, mostly just because as I said I don't get a lot of enjoyment out of games unless they are actually a fully-fledged world with a story and characters. Even puzzle games can do this (Portal, Braid). I personally just mostly don't "get" these games. They are not at all enjoyable to me. They're mostly just boring and repetitive.

EDIT: I do have the mobile version of KOTOR on my tablet, but I haaaated trying to do things point and click. That's one of my major problems with mobile games. Sure, actual point and click games might work on them (though things like Telltale to me demand a larger screen)... but with KOTOR it was just too much to do by touch alone for me. I'm going to do my replay on my new comp.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I mentioned Hearthstone earlier which was PC only until mid last year when it came out for iOs. Now I play both at work and home. :p

But there are good mobile games....you just won't find them on the top charts (i.e. Monument Valley, 80 Days, etc).

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    WoW sure sucks now. Last time I played it I was dismayed by how quickly I could level up a character, heirlooms everywhere, over-catering to casuals... When did the decline begin? I say around Cata.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, but do any of them have a mouse and keyboard or a controller? No. Therefore, I will probably hate them all. I also just can't stare at a tiny little screen like that for that long. How am I supposed to get the THX recommended 40% of my view filled by a 5 inch screen held two feet from my face???

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought people tended to hook up USB or bluetooth controllers to their phones or tablets for ports like that. ...Which completely defeats the point of mobile gaming, but still, controlling games like KOTOR and GTA (or any game not designed with mobile in mind) with a touchscreen? Ew.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I agree I would never play a game like GTA on my phone but I don't really mind the controls if they are implemented well.

As for staring at a small screen....all the Game Boy handhelds had smaller screens and we played those games for years.

Coruscant likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't mind staring at small screens with the Game Boy when I was out, but I always wished for an alternative when I was just sitting around at home (and there wasn't an alternative other than expensive, rare peripherals for the SNES, N64, and Gamecube). Thank God for emulators.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The THX thing was mostly a joke :p

But I definitely would not like to play a game intended for a larger screen like a comp screen (such as KOTOR) on my phone or even really my tablet.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, that can be a hazy metric as the "real" output resolution on a lot of games can be smaller than the theoretical upper bounds on the size of the screen in question. While a phone is definitely a bit of a cap on what I'm willing to put up with, I never felt that sort of restriction from my tablet as the source output was originally probably smaller than even that. Your mileage may very, of course.

That said, KOTOR with a touch screen sounds like a bad time, resolution be damned. Same reason I won't buy Baldur's Gate 1/2 for mobile.

12. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I've just purchased Black Ops 3 for some reason.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't really care about the resolution. It's a nice thing to have, but I am certainly not someone who pushes for the most high end graphics possible (my new comp has an intel 6700 processor at 3.5ghz, gtx 960, 8gb RAM. I don't really need more).

I'm more talking about the field of view. Regardless of pixels, I have an awful hard time seeing the details of everything I'm supposed to be seeing with a game like KOTOR on a tiny screen. It also makes it that much harder to click on things because there are a lot of small items to select for your combat turns, and it's even harder with a touch screen.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Amstrad CPC, Master System, Mega Drive, SNES, PlayStation 2, XB360, XBONE. And tens of PCs.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I have been wanting this thread for ages. I am currently having a blast with my Atari Flashback Console; comes loaded with tons of old Atari games, includes both joystick and paddle controllers. I am loving this thing. You know Breakout? So much damn fun playing that on my big tv screen with a paddle controller.

On the topic of mobile games, I have to say that Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers are great mobile games. The only great ones I've ever encountered, frankly. And I'm not even a tower defense kind of guy. But they're great. I haven't tried out Kingdom Rush Origins yet. Well, hell, I don't even have all the achievements on Frontiers yet.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I was prepared to consider your respected opinion on these mobile games... Then you said tower defense. Now I'm skeptical again.

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I play Candy Crush on the bus, come at me.

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    As an audio-visual experience, Monument Valley is a work of art. You can play through the whole thing in under an hour and a half, and it's not exactly taxing, but it is beautiful.

Bacon164 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Consoles I've had? Let's see. Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, PS2, OG Xbox, way too many Xbox 360s, and now the Xbox 1. I've never had a handheld. Not even an OG Game Boy. Now I'll get myself a new PC more out of professional necessity than anything else, but will definitely see if it can handle decent gaming.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hmm, but don't play many phone games, but there is good and bad, just like any other platform. Probably a higher percentage of bad because of sheer volume and ease of publishing.

The phone games I have played are more suited to five minutes here and there rather than having a sit down for a couple of hours. Plants vs Zombies is good fun in small doses, but I couldn't imagine sitting at a PC and playing for any length of time.

Games like Candy Crush...they're just Tetris, and anyone spending money on has only themselves to blame. People spending more more money on them than they realise are just dumb. Hopefully they don't have credit cards.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I tried to play Plants vs. Zombies and I thought it was actually pretty terrible.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The only mobile game I play is 2048. Come at me.

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Plants vs Zombies is brilliant.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd argue that "anyone spending money on has only themselves to blame" and "people spending more more money on them than they realise are just dumb" is precisely what the psychologically manipulative slimeballs who cook up in-app transactions want you to think so that they can continue to get away with what they're doing and exploit people who don't realize how much they're spending or don't realize they're spending money at all (e.g. children). Not to mention being advertised to in-app even when you're not participating in their BS is obnoxious.

solojones and Darth Guy like this.
  25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeh, I can't imagine playing KOTOR w/o a screen large enough to be immersive, though the mobile novelty value was fun for a few minutes.