main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What did you think would surely be in TFA, but wasn't?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 30, 2016.

1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Snowspeeders, small one trooper ST-ATs.... a few things that became toys that got cut from the movie.

dan1210 and darklordoftech like this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Sarco Plank

burg2774 and SkooterNB like this.
  3. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Oh yeah, Snowspeeders would have been good in some scenes on the icy Starkiller Base... Too bad they were left out of TFA! :(

MeBeJedi likes this.
  4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Staying away from information and most speculative talk, I had no expectations. I didn't let myself think about it. There was definitely stuff I didn't expect. In regards to people mentioning stuff from trailers... Don't watch trailers, people. They obviously either give you false expectations or lead you to speculate and jump to conclusions. The movie isn't finished until several weeks before release. Anything can change in the editing room.
    What you wanted to see and what you expected to see are different things.

5. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Speculating and unreasonable expectations are the entire purpose of forums like this. That's the fun.

6. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Explaining and pointing out stuff is part of the reason for forums like this.
    People just set themselves up for possible disappointment. Chances are very unlikely that some "great idea" you imagine will actually be in the movie. It's almost like stories I've read where people mail their fan art for Lucasfilm to consider sticking in the movies, only to get it back unopened.

IamZam likes this.
  7. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    redo the film with these two things changed and one or two other changes and the film becomes way "better". I put that in quotes cause it's already great as it is but one thing that really prevents this film from being propelled to really great heights is imo the lack of a cohesive, driving narrative. a lot of these ideas were better in their earlier forms based on the msw leaks than they were in the final film, imo

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I was expecting to be Kylo Ren to be more of a hardcore villain than he was instead of this teddy bear under a mask. But hey, I like Kylo how he is, it was a pleasant surprise!... and I agree with people above who said they expected more Knights Of Ren, so did I!

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Luke Skywalker.

Seriously.

10. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I second that.

IamZam and Chewies_bandolier like this.
  11. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh it was obvious from a long way back that he was only going to get a short role in the movie. I guess it was even shorter than some people hoped.

I was hoping for a space battle. I kept scanning the trailers and photos, searching for a hint of one. In vain. Surely we'd get one. Surely. There'd be a third act that had been completely unspoiled...

12. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    More Eopie farts

Howard Hand likes this.
  13. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Oh yeah, let the Millennium Falcon make another triumphant return to space battles and blow the heck out of her enemies, the TIE Fighters!

Looking forward to scenes like this in Episode 8 then!
    [​IMG]

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

JediKnightYJK likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The Battle of Jakku

Hernalt and KING_KENOBI like this.
  15. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    I thought the inhabitants on jakku would be the old crews of the ships in the graveyard left behind by the rest of the imperials to avoid more people in competing factions and that Max von sydow would be their leader..a stranded imperial that simply gave up the life and settled scavenging their own ships.

Gamiel and GregMcP like this.
  16. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Yeah I like that alternate universe. Jakku inhabited by old Stormtroopers and TIE pilots. The local warlord chief in a tattered Imperial Officer uniform.

17. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Its an extremely a cool idea,I cant take credit for it though I think I heard it in some speculation video and it just stuck in my brain like glue.
    and thats an awsome visual you just desribed there..there must be some there on jakku that was on those ships..you think the impact would have killed the whole crew,there was this clone wars episode were Windu survived a very similar crash of a republic star destroyer .

Gamiel, MotivateR5D4 and GregMcP like this.
  18. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I can imagine the battle being lost, the remnants of the Imperial fleet hyperspace off, and the crew of a damaged AT-AT on the surface thinking "Well, what do we do now?"

11-4D likes this.
  19. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    That was such a cool shot, bummed it never made the cut

20. Count Inuity

Count Inuity Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2015
    I saw virtually no spoilers before seeing the movie, like, the very bare minimum (never even saw Maz for example, and didn't know about the starkiller base or the plot)

I was expecting:

Big awesome space battles
    It's not called Flying-Around-Near-The-Ground Wars

The Republic Fleet
    The republic fleet. I wasn't expecting the Resistance at all. What the heck have they been doing for the last 30 years?! It appears in TFA that the Empire had been beaten back and diminished years or decades ago, and that the Republic has decided to live and let live, instead of routing out the Imperial remnant. Why does the Resistance even exist? Why wouldn't all the members of the Resistance just move to a Republic planet(s) and call it a day and live in safety and peace. Then, if the First Order ever started a war with the Republic, the Republic would respond with a force thousands of times greater than the crappy Resistance.

In fact, in TFA the Resistance should resent and even hate the Republic because the Republic left them hanging out to dry. It makes no sense, and sadly the answers to these questions are not ones that have a logical in-world explanation, the answer is that JJ just wanted a movie that was like A New Hope (with a small rebellion fighting the big bad empire) and didn't bother writing it to make sense.

The worst thing in TFA, is that apparently you can destroy planets in 1 star system and you will destroy the entire Republic and it's entire fleet?!?! Except actually, there's 100's if not 1000's of other planets in the republic, and there is no way that they don't still have a gigantic fleet. They didn't just have 12 ships and park them at 1 planet.

Logically, the very next thing that is going to happen at the start of Ep8, is the rest of the republic will launch a massive offensive in revenge for destroying their capital planet, and the First Order will be obliterated in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

The Imperial remnant
    I didn't expect the first order at all. I thought the glimpses of stormtroopers I saw before seeing the movie were Imperial remnant guys.

Awesome light saber battles
    Given the advances in movie action and fighting scenes since ep6 (both technology and prevalence of just really good fight sequences and kung fu skills etc) I was expecting breathtaking fantastic sword fight sequences, probably inspired by the best Hong Kong cinema plus hollywood action. Instead, we didn't get that. However, it made sense that we didn't because there were no skilled sword fighting characters in the movie. Rey and Fin are total noobs, and Kylo hasn't finished his training and just kind of sucks overall.

A badass villain
    I was expecting a badass villain with a reason or story for having a mask/helmet. I was not expecting it to be J.P. from Grandma's Boy, dressed like a sith. Anakin at his age would wipe the floor with Kylo in 5 seconds.

No Luke
    Until someone I know spoiled it a couple days before I saw TFA, I was fully not expecting Luke to be in it (but did expect probably a cameo from him in Episode 8)

Darker, Flashier, Faster
    Like the recent Star Trek movies, and Fast and Furious movies and movies in general, I was expecting it to be darker (literally, like, less bright), flashier and faster (faster cuts, irritatingly frenetic action), jumping from set piece to set piece and rocketing the story along for fear the audience would get bored after looking at something for more than 5 seconds. So I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't! It's clear that as part of trying to basically remake star wars, they intentionally kept the classic feel and pace.

Kyle Katarn
    I was maybe not expecting it, but hoping for at least a cameo of Kyle Katarn, even though he'd be pretty old now, but not unlike Luke and Han. BTW, it seems as though Finn's story is somewhat like Kyle's and probably lifted from it.

Also, in years past, before we found out that ep7 was 30 years in the future and would feature Harrison Ford, I was sure that the movie would take place only a couple years after ROTJ, and that the roles would be re-cast. That we'd see Leia become a sexy jedi, and they would fight against the Imperial remnant and some new bad guy who started leading it (and probably some dark jedi plot) similar to the Jedi Knight games, and maybe Kyle Katarn would be in it.

Dameron likes this.
  21. burg2774

burg2774 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008

Well we did hear his voice for a few seconds, in the flashback. Like you I would have liked a larger presence.

22. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I tried to be as spoiler/information-free as possible, so when I saw the image of John Boyega in a stormtrooper uniform, I kind of got a sort of post-apocalyptic sense. It just seemed odd that a stormtrooper uniform would be relevant thirty years later, so if someone was wearing one, especially an actor I wasn't expecting to play a bad guy, he just scavenged it from somewhere.

23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    KING_KENOBI and GregMcP

That sounds very Apocalypse Now Colonel Kurtz esqe.

I like it.

GregMcP likes this.
  24. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016

It's really funny because when the trailer first came out I was like "What??? what a stupid looking lightsaber! Disney is going to f* Star Wars!"

But when I saw the movie it became one of my favorite lightsaber:kylosaber:.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  25. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    I was iffy about it all the way until he drove it into Finn's chest.