main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Discussion -There Be Spoilers Here

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    The short paragraph where Poe and Rey meet in the novel IS SO FREAKING ADORABLE.

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005

I've heard about it, but not read it. I heard there was a 'spark'.

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No. It was more adorkably awkward. They hug in celebration because everyone else is and then realize they are hugging a complete stranger and just go "Ummm... hi."

brodiew likes this.
  4. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005

I would even go so far as to say that there has not been a character as genuinely noble, and happy about it, in the GFFA.

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Ok, so I am trying to figure this out. How old was Ben Solo when the Jedi massacre took place? If he was born a year or so after the battle of Endor, and it's been 30 years since we saw the crew last, is it safe to say Kylo Ren is about 30? If Rey was about 5 when she was left on Jakku, assuming that the massacre has taken place, and she's about 20 now, then it's been 15 years since the massacre?
    So was Ben Solo about 15 or 16 when he killed his fellow Jedi? :eek:

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That sounds about right. It is an impressible age and the part of the brain that tells you, "This is not a good idea" hasn't fully developed yet. I could see a 16 year old Ben Solo with some sort of psychological problem snapping.

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Well that puts an interesting spin on things. How much can a 15-16 year old be held responsible for? especially since Snoke had been luring him before hand (which, if I understand, is why Leia sent him to Luke in the first place). And now that he's that much older and can think more rationally, what with frontal lobe development and all that, you have to wonder what Kylo Ren's perspective now is. hmmmmm.

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    My impression was that Rey was a bit younger than 5 in that scene, but that would still make Ben/Kylo 18 years old tops. Also, I think that the novelisation says when he takes off his mask that it's the first time Han sees his face as a grown man.

Cinemas in Paris are still showing TFA, even in 3D. And that also means that, even if I still have to see it with subtitles eating up the lower part of the screen, at least they won't be full of misspellings and mistranslations [face_dancing]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    [face_needlessly_pedantic]

This is probably going to sound incredibly stupid, but -

Has it been explicitly stated anywhere that Luke's Jedi students were actually killed? I've been going through my eBooks of the TFA novelization and junior novel and all I can find is that the order was "destroyed".

You see, a crackpot theory I've been toying around with has Snoke as one of Luke's new Jedi, claiming to be part of a faction that schismed from the PT-era order (e.g., Potentium) and corrupting his students from within. I think it's more evil - and devastating for Luke - if his students fell to the dark side instead of just being killed.

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    What I have heard about ages and the relative timeline from Pablo Hidalgo is that Ben/Kylo is twenty-nineish, Rey is nineteen, Rey was abandoned on Jakku about fifteen years before TFA and the destruction of the fledgeling Jedi Order happened ten-five years before TFA. This might not be set in stone and we do know from the film and can guess that there was a lot of strain on Han and Leia's marriage at some point. Source material says that Leia didn't believe that the First Order or whatever remained of the Empire was interested in peace and was quite vocal about it to the point she lost support of people she thought she could trust and in turn lost trust in those she thought she could trust.

Leia and Han talk about arguments that sometimes ended with him leaving with implications on Han's part that he left so she would miss him. I would imagine that if for the average child hearing their parents argue about something and then one of them storming out and then is gone for days, weeks or months before coming back is upsetting/traumatizing than I would imagine it would be even more upsetting for a Force Sensitive child.

Since we don't know when things started to go wrong for Han and Leia or what their arguments were about we can only speculate the content of them.

Two telling things though is Leia says that they lost their son when they sent him to Luke and Han tells Maz that Leia doesn't/won't want to see him.

JJ Abrams did implied in an interview that Ben/Kylo had a lot of problems with his father but very few, if any, with his mother.

I will stop my idle speculation for now.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I got the impression from the film that Han left after/because Leia sent their son away.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  13. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Well that makes a big difference. I'm thinking that Rey's arrival on Jakku is concurrent with the massacre. Here you're saying it could be as much as ten years apart. That's a monkey wrench in my brilliant (ha ha) theories.

Then again, anything is possible until episode 8, right?

brodiew, Chyntuck and Lady_Misty like this.
  14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Did anyone miss the lack of 'down time' in TFA. ANH seem to have a few moments where the action slowed down enough to process prior events.

15. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

It did feel like we went from one thing to another without much down time; something was always happening or being revealed then something happened or was revealed and so much curiosity.

It's actually funny; I was having a rather heated discussion with my youngest sister Joyce about Rey and her being abandoned on Jakku. I argued that I couldn't see Luke just leaving his daughter with no one to take care of her and with someone that exploited her and I can't remember what Joyce's argument was but our dad shut us up and suggested that she might have been abandoned there to protect her from the First Order. While I have a hard time seeing Luke just leaving his child someplace with no plans of coming back for her my dad has a point that Rey could have been left on Jakku to protect her.

16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005

I think this is a prevalent theory, but I agree that it was likely done without Luke's knowledge. Perhaps, even, by her mother. I also don't think there was much time to make such a decision.

17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I did suggest during the argument that her mother could have abandoned Rey on Jakku as an act of spite to Luke.

Or a slightly convoluted theory is that IF some Inquisitors survived everything Snoke might have selected a few that had great shields and knew how to twist words to their advantage to go to Luke and say that they wanted to be good and years later help destroy the Jedi Order. A female one could have been tasked with seducing Luke and having his child but things backfired a bit and Snoke ordered her to return to him and bring the child with her. However she couldn't bring herself to bring her child to Snoke and she couldn't leave her with Luke because the others would report it to Snoke so she left her on Jakku.

Or maybe Ben ran away from Luke and the Jedi when he was fourteen-fifteen, took Rey with him for whatever reason, as far as Jakku and left her there and continued on to Snoke.

Coming up with theories is fun; especially when you can procrastinate writing your fics at the same time because you have mild writer's block and are slightly apprehensive about messing up the story.

Sent from my iPadd from another galaxy using Tapatalk

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    In my opinion, if you listen to the wording of the conversation between Rey and Maz after the whole visions thing, I don't think - father or not - Luke was the one to leave Rey. Maz basically says (going from memory because I'm too tired to look up the exact wording) "Whoever left you on Jakku isn't coming back, and I can see it in your eyes that you know that..." (implying that whoever left her is either dead, or was never coming back in the first place) "but there is someone else who could come back." Then Rey goes "Luke."

Also, yeah, the lack of down time was rather disappointing, but I think that is more indicative of modern action movie trends these days, which is rather sad. Writers want to tell a 4 hour story, but editors know audiences can only sit through 2 and a half, MAYBE 3 hours.

Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    For me, it made the area of space that TFA played in seem like a "pocket dimension". There did not seem to be any travel time in hyperspace, the wipes used were different than seen in previous films, so there was no sense of distance covered or time passed.

And related to my point, but maybe not yours, it felt like the people on Maz Kanada's planet could see with the naked eye, the Hosnian planets or star system being taken out, and KNOW that it was them.

There was no sense that the Starkiller weapon left its star system, and travelled great distances to hit the target.

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes. I agree. I think I've brought this up before, but the ambiguity of 'hyperspace travel times' that was kinda set in ep. 1-6 was totally obliterated in TFA, unless, for some reason, the entirety of TFA took place in one tiny sector of the galaxy. This really, for me, meant that there was no room for even some imagined down-time on the Falcon or whatnot.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Also, in an easily missed disregard for logic, how were Black Leader's (Poe's) X-Wings in exactly the right place to drop out of hyperspace when they were informed that the Starkiller Base shields were down?

If they were enroute, they should have acknowledged, and then reverted when they came to the right spot. If they over-shot the system, they should have dropped out of lightspeed, done a three-point turn...okay, maybe not a three-point turn, to double back.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IIRC, the novel explains this by saying that they initially jumped on a longer, curving route to give Han and company time to bring down the shields. When they got word that the shields were down (because in NuCanon, you can communicate in hyperspace; Star Wars Rebels has made that much clear), they altered their path while in hyperspace to abandon the circuitous route and instead go in on a straight line (which is apparently also a NuCanon thing, because IIRC in Legends, you had to revert to realspace, change course in realspace, and then jump back into hyperspace).

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I very much dislike NuCanon's idea of SW physics.

I have no idea when Star Wars Rebels is based, but I no longer have a problem with being able to communicate in hyperspace in TFA, as it makes sense for a post-Empire government or galaxy to utilise the s-threads that the Empire set up to communicate with hyperspace-based Imperial Intelligence droid pods, and facilitate their interstellar holo communications.

Thanks, jcgoble3

Gamiel and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I missed it. The pace of TFA was different from the other six SW movies. I know it was because you had a different director, but I think Abrams sacrificed character development in order to keep the movie's fast pace. Lucas used the ship flights to slow down the action and that could have been done in TFA. I would have liked some talk between Rey and Finn so we get to know them better. Right now I don't feel any connection between the characters. The only reason I am interested in Rey at all is because she might be Luke's kid.

The scene that bothered me the most was when the Falcon was captured and Chewie and Han run onto the ship. That seemed so rushed and out of character...unless Han knew exactly who was on that ship. If Han didn't know who was on the ship he wouldn't rush on board and risk getting shot. I don't know if the scene was built to keep the fast pace or there is some hidden meaning there.

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I think he just didn't care who might be on it, because in the event of a hostile encounter, he planned on shooting first. :p

Chyntuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.