main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    It's a favorite topic of mine. Because it's important and it's so clearly murder.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Leave him out of it! :p

J-Rod likes this.
  3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The
    The law disagrees. It's also unlikely to change. More restrictions, yes, but an outright ban?

I can't think of anything that would vault the Democrats back to control of Congress and the White House faster.

anakinfansince1983 and ShaneP like this.
  4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm pretty much pro life and am for restrictions but a ban is problematic because of what it might mean for illicit abortions. Abortion wouldn't just disappear. And if we thought the drug war was invasive, try a woman's reproductive rights. The best approach for pro lifers is moral suasion.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    When some of you post (which is, I'm sure, what Wocky thinks of me)...

[​IMG]

J-Rod likes this.
  6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Funny how many "pro-lifers" are anti-abortion because it's 'murder', yet happily support the death penalty (state murder).

7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    By that logic J-Rod I am committing mass murder every time I get a haircut and callously discard my hair follicles to the dustbin and inevitable destruction. I also committed murder when I had a cyst surgically removed and the hospital discarded it. Things that grow and have DNA are not necessarily human beings. Your **** contains DNA as well but you dispose of that without a pang on conscience. Listen to Vivec on this one.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    It's a weird situation. Most Americans believe it's wrong yet most think it should be legal. That said, because I understand that it's murder I can't see a reason to kill an innocent baby. But I wish we could come to the compromise of a total ban excluding rape, incest or health of the mother.

9. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    From an earlier answer to this same question: Sure. But it's not growing. It's not in a process of living. You could, I suppose, make the claim that it's in the process of dying. But a drop of you blood is just a piece from a living thing (you). It's not a living organism. A fetus is a living organism. As single cells reproduce into multiple cells. A drop of blood does not have these capabilities.

10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    That's not a compromise.

The best solution is. Abortion is legal but everyone accepts its a horrible but occasionally a necessary thing. You improve your nations sex education and bring in appropriate support for women both during and after pregnancy (Maternity leave etc...)

But discussing abortion doesn't fit within this thread, I'm sure we have one for it somewhere though.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I murdered a diseased gall bladder a couple of years ago. It was growing, that was the problem.

All this said--even a "favorite topic" should not be shoehorned into every damn Senate discussion despite lack of relevance.

Repealing Roe v. Wade is not realistically on the agenda of any of the candidates, whether they personally are pro-life or not.

If we're talking about candidate stances, someone show me a candidate who is opposed to abortion but favors increased access to birth control and comprehensive sex education. Those actually DO reduce abortion rates. Any "pro life" candidate who supports "abstinence only" sex education and/or removing it from schools entirely, or limiting funding or access to birth control for poor women, is more interested in controlling what women do with their bodies than controlling abortion rates.

Sauntaero and Valairy Scot like this.
  12. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    J-Rod No a fetus is a bunch of undifferentiated cells. Also hair follicles are growing and so are cells which form cysts, which is why one has hair cuts and why one removes cysts because they can grow to the size of beach balls.

But anyway this is the wrong thread for this discussion so I'll stop.

13. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    OMG you murdered life. Your punishment should be... death....because it's wrong to take life and so it's only right that your life.....this bible thing is hard.

14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The giant sky pixie loves us so much, that he makes young Irish girls get the Courts permission to travel to Britain - where abortion is legal.

15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I love the way the JRod and his gun loving ilk are mahusively pro life unless they are defending themselves from nasty burglars etc.. as their TV at that point has more right to survive than the burglar.

But that's all because Jebus.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    just because a fetus has human dna doesn't make it a "person" or a "baby" any more than tracy's gall bladder. j-rod, have you stopped to consider why miscarriages, while certainly sad and potentially devastating, aren't mourned in nearly the same way as the death of a baby that is just a few days or even hours old? should they be?

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    that would require an ability to understand nuance
    ________________/
    [​IMG]

tom likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    damn, i love my new avatar
    _______________/
    [​IMG]

someone be barbara plz

Ghost, tom and dp4m like this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We all know that infidelity is wrong. Almost no one thinks it should be a criminal offense. The law can't and doesn't codify every single moral misdeed as a prosecutable offense.

This would be outrageous is if it wasn't so embarrassing. This is seriously your argument? He already had brought on the sitting chair of Foreign Relations Committee, who had several decades of experience. But what Obama really needed was the deep experience of a single-term junior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, many of whose sub-committee assignments had no relation to external threats at all (but were instead the sort of logistical questions that Sanders deals with on Committee for Veterans Affairs), let alone some broader understanding of foreign policy than the military's role in it?

Though maybe you're just counting "experience" as "propensity to kill people." In which case, yes, Clinton has always had that in spades.

Jedi Merkurian and Rogue_Ten like this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    FYI: there are reports that the Congressional Black Caucus endorsed Hillary today. This isn't accurate. The CBC's PAC endorsed Hillary, but it's apparently causing massive confusion around the interwebs.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was a "success" in that the coalition achieved its strategic goal of kicking the Iraqi army out of Kuwait and keeping it out. But it was in service of propping up a regime that wasn't much (if at all) better than Saddam. The United States also encouraged a Shi'a uprising and let them get crushed. Oh, and it led directly to sanctions that killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis (somehow people need chlorine for water). And U.S. troops being stationed in Saudi Arabia pissed off the son of a construction magnate. And it led to Bush's (older) idiot son finishing what ol' dad supposedly started.

Yeah, a success.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The real clear network is a libertarian network.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Is that a distinction without a difference?

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Nah, I just caught it literally off of a Real Clear Politics link, since I was checking to see if anyone's decided to actually poll NV or just leave it a total black box. :p

That dude who wrote the article isn't libertarian, btw. That Manhattan Institute is a conservative think-tank, so I do actually look things up, you know. :p It's why I specifically said "This is too Right for me..."

EDIT:
    Yes, they're very different. The PAC isn't really anyone in office and is mostly lobbyists, etc.
    It's like where I work has a PAC, but I honestly have no idea what they advocate for and it wouldn't be my endorsement.

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    dp4m, you do really need to be more careful about what links you post. It's borderline offensive.

heheheh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.